Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Zoo visit in pregnancy. What is your opinion?
1  2  Next

OMG!

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:09 pm
I would love to visit the Miami sea aquarium but I’m in my first trimester, and have heard about not looking at animals while pregnant. What should I do? I only wana see the dolphin show. Other animals I’m not really interested. Thank you

pesek zman

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:10 pm
I don’t see why not

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:13 pm
I don't go but it's only a minhag.

I also don't go because honestly when I'm pregnant I'll take any excuse to stay home.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:14 pm
I wouldn't go either. Our minhag as well.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:17 pm
You need to ask for yourself. I wonder if fish is in the same category as a zoo.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
You need to ask for yourself. I wonder if fish is in the same category as a zoo.

Interesting point. Is it just non kosher animals?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:20 pm
I take my kids to the zoo but try not to look at the animals.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:21 pm
We asked our Rav when I was expecting and he said it’s no problem just don’t look at animal’s private parts. So you could ask and see what they tell you

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:22 pm
Does anyone know the reason behind this minhag?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:29 pm
I asked my Rabbi when I was pg, and he said not to visit the zoo. He had no issues with visiting the aquarium, though.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:

Some sort of Kabalistic reason with looking at animals, tumah, etc...that I didn't quite get.

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:30 pm
This isn't an opinion question. It's a minhag/sensitivity question. Ask a rav, or do what you feel is right.

And if for you, going to an aquarium will make you happy during pregnancy and not make you worry about it later, go for it.

Also... I don't think fish/underwater creatures are the same as "animals", but I'm not a rav/spiritual leader.

trixx

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

Bc everything a pregnant woman sees, hears, eats etc affects the fetus. We learn this from Yaakov painting his sticks with patterns and showing to the pregnant sheep and the ewes were born patterned

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:34 pm
Trixx, in what way does looking at animals effect the baby? Seeing animals is gold compared to what I see on the city streets.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:40 pm
Maybe I'm weird, but I've seen a child that looks like and acts like a mouse. I've seen a child that looks like a rabbit. And I've seen one who looks like a dear.. So just for the chance that looking at an animal might affect the unborn child, I would refrain from looking at animals.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:47 pm
I've gone in my 3rd trimester, and my child neither looks nor acts like an animal.
I think it's based on minhag, specifically chabad.

trixx

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Trixx, in what way does looking at animals effect the baby? Seeing animals is gold compared to what I see on the city streets.

Kabbalistically as mentioned, but the Torah source is practically too. Similarly, that woman in gemara who would bring her newborn to sleep in the bais Midrash and he grew up to become... Sorry I forget lol someone in pirkei avos.

The fetus is affected from before birth so the pregnant woman should surround herself in as holy an environment as possible. BTW I find this fascinating that modern science corroborates this more and more, from a pregnant woman's emotions influencing fetus health to the modern understanding that the most crucial years of a child's life is actually 0-3 and the most development happens in the first 12m (exactly the opposite of "they're too young to understand").

For this reason chabad is careful that baby's nursery and clothing only has kosher animals btw. For a holy environment

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:32 pm
I think fish fallnito a different category. When I was pregnant my rav told us I could go to the zoo with my kids, just not focus too much in the animals.
I wanted to go to a bear show, but he told us I shouldn’t look at bears.
So ask your LOR.

nchr

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I've seen a child that looks like and acts like a mouse. I've seen a child that looks like a rabbit. And I've seen one who looks like a dear.. So just for the chance that looking at an animal might affect the unborn child, I would refrain from looking at animals.

I've never seen humans who look like mice, rabbits or deer. What do you even mean? Did they have tails? Small noses? Large or floppy ears? I assume you mean metaphorically, in which case there are many positive animal features (such as cat eyes) too.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:45 pm
I know some have the minhag not to. I went all of my pregnancies. Only reason I say not to go is the walking factor. My feet were killing me. I went to the zoo at 20+ weeks each time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics