Home

Good inexpensive sewing machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Papaya

Post  Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:39 am
I'm a beginner at sewing- mostly hems, repairs, costumes (since they don't need to be perfect!), EXTREMELY basic patterns (like little girls' jumpers) etc. I have no training so I'm really lacking in the skills department. I'd love to take lessons but it just ain't gonna happen now.

Anyway, my old, inherited sewing machine finally died (right before Purim!) and I want to buy an inexpensive replacement that A. I, as a fairly ignorant novice, could figure out, and B. will actually last.

Is such a thing possible for under $100? Even less? What about a refurbished brand name like Singer? Would that be worth the price?

On an old thread someone recommended a model she got for under $100- but the price now is over $300!

TIA!

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:17 am
30 dollars at tarhet

BetsyTacy

Post  Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:26 am
The Brother CS6000i was recommended on many blog sites as a good first sewing machine. I had never sewn one stitch on a sewing machine before I purchased mine, but with the help of youtube videos, I am really enjoying it.
I see the price is now $157 on various sites. Is that too far out of your price range?

gande

Post  Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:44 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JBKVN8S/
This is supposedly the newer model for that machine that is $300 now.
Just some tips from a self taught hobbyist.
Make sure do use the right needle type for your fabric. Makes a world of a difference.
You can find anazing sewing tutorials on youtube just google in what you want to make.

meme6

Post  Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:49 am
Walmart they sell a singer for $100 best investment I made and whoever I recommended it to loves it for basics

cm

Post  Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:26 am
In general, Janome makes solid "workhorse" machines at many price points. Check Patternreview (website) for user reviews. Singer isn't what it used to be, but you might have a good experience.

meme6

Post  Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:42 am
cm wrote:
In general, Janome makes solid "workhorse" machines at many price points. Check Patternreview (website) for user reviews. Singer isn't what it used to be, but you might have a good experience.

It’s not what it used to be but for basic sewing and at a $100 it’s great
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing