Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you have optimum WiFi....

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:50 pm
I am not so tech savvy....

I knew to set up parental controls on my children’s devices.
I knew to password protect my computer.
I knew to lock my WiFi with a password.

So I had NO idea that if there is optimum WiFi in the house (even locked), someone can use any protected device and use an optimum code to bypass everything and use the internet freely.

Unfortunately this happened to my child until we caught on. At this point I don’t know if we will ever be able to repair the damage done 🙁....

Please be aware that parental controls, passwords etc are worthless if your kids get a hold of an optimum number or code.
I never thought my child was capable of this but apparently kids this age are explaining to each other how to do this.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 2:34 pm
My kids told me that other kids were sharing optimum user name/ password. My kids devices are filtered, so I am not concerned. I do have them using the optimum guest setting and I change the password when they shouldn't be online. I realized that they were online anyways, thats when I realized what was happening.

Amazon tablet has better controls. You can also lock your DC out if the tablet when you don't want them using it (if you are not around)

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
My kids told me that other kids were sharing optimum user name/ password. My kids devices are filtered, so I am not concerned. I do have them using the optimum guest setting and I change the password when they shouldn't be online. I realized that they were online anyways, thats when I realized what was happening.

Amazon tablet has better controls. You can also lock your DC out if the tablet when you don't want them using it (if you are not around)

Our devices are filtered too.
This has nothing to do with the device.
Once they have any device they can access optimum. Our child had a filtered amazon tablet with strong parental controls set up. We thought this was safe. They can enter into optimum and have access to absolutely anything on the internet no matter how filtered your device is. They are bypassing the device and using the internet through optimum WiFi. This can even be done with an old cell phone. Apparently someone gave our child an optimum password.

Don’t think your child is safe if you have optimum WiFi. Especially if he already knows about entering through someone’s username and password.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 3:39 pm
That is so crazy ☹️. What is optimum WiFi? How do I know if I have it? Totally not tech savvy here...

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 7:03 am
BKIND wrote:
That is so crazy ☹️. What is optimum WiFi? How do I know if I have it? Totally not tech savvy here...

You can't be too careful. I suggest disconnecting your phone and electrical service and water just to be safe and lining your walls and windows with aluminum foil. Also never leave the house
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics