Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Sharing my wifi

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:10 pm
is it okay to share my wifi? a neighbor asked me to use mine

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:22 pm
Depends why they need it, why you need it, how much you trust them, etc.

When I was asked I said no because A) the person wasn't internet savvy in the slightest, and I was honestly worried what they might accidently do or share (and leave unprotected for kids to get to) and B) I didn't want my speed affected. Also, I hate feeling like the 'shabbos [non jew]'

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:23 pm
Morally? Ethically? Legally? If you’re paying for it, then sure.

Practically speaking? Their usage might slow yours down. And you should trust them enough to assume they’re not doing anything grossly illegal on your network.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Maple wrote:
Morally? Ethically? Legally? If you’re paying for it, then sure.

Practically speaking? Their usage might slow yours down. And you should trust them enough to assume they’re not doing anything grossly illegal on your network.

all of the above lol

I want to think of all the ramifications before I give an answer

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Depends why they need it, why you need it, how much you trust them, etc.

When I was asked I said no because A) the person wasn't internet savvy in the slightest, and I was honestly worried what they might accidently do or share (and leave unprotected for kids to get to) and B) I didn't want my speed affected. Also, I hate feeling like the 'shabbos [non jew]'

Depends why they need it - she said she wants email

how much you trust them - can you explain this more. what am I trusting?

fig

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:31 pm
I once shared with a neighbor. Till they kept calling me when it was disconnected cuz they needed it ….

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
all of the above lol

I want to think of all the ramifications before I give an answer

As long as you’re paying for it, you can decide how to use it. I don’t know what the legalities of everything are, but I am sure it’s not a good look for you if they’re using your internet to embezzle money or share illegal images or hack a military computer, so just make sure they are the kind of people you can trust. Depending on how many devices you use in your home, you might see a noticeable decrease in speed if they are using it heavily, so give it a trial run if you choose to share.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 11:49 pm
amother Maple wrote:
As long as you’re paying for it, you can decide how to use it. I don’t know what the legalities of everything are, but I am sure it’s not a good look for you if they’re using your internet to embezzle money or share illegal images or hack a military computer, so just make sure they are the kind of people you can trust. Depending on how many devices you use in your home, you might see a noticeable decrease in speed if they are using it heavily, so give it a trial run if you choose to share.

Thanks for your response. I'm not really worried about them doing anything illegal...as far as speed I guess I could test it. Is there anything else practical that would be an issue?

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:21 am
I know that our main wifi login is connected to all of our devices and if anyone connects they can access anything. We created a guest login that cant access our stuff, and when people come to our house and want to use it they can use it gladly. We don't officially share it with neighbors though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics