Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do Geulah Chasidim meet dates outside of their home?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:44 pm
I dont think any Chassidim in BP, for instance, even the cooler ones, allow their kids to meet Shidduch candidates, outside the home, with no parents.

Why is it so different in Geulah in Shtisel, thats supposedly like real life in Geulah?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:47 pm
Chassidish couples from Williamsburg, Boro Park, Monsey and all over do meet outside the parents home. It's actually quite common.
Many things they do on Shtisel does not represent real chassidish/geula life. It is TV after all.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Chassidish couples from Williamsburg, Boro Park, Monsey and all over do meet outside the parents home. It's actually quite common.

Really? Which Chassidus allows it? Either of the 2 Satmars? Either of the 2 Bobovs? Satmar lite? Bobov lite? Rachmanstivka? Name one please.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:53 pm
It has nothing to do if the chassidus allows it or not. Every couple/family is different. It's common especially with older couples.

gingertop

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:03 pm
Every family is different and individual family members also do their own thing. And shtisel is not 100% accurate in all the details. It gets the flavor and a lot of the details right. You feel like you're watching the real deal. But it's just a tv series, over-dramatizing daily life, in this case, of Yerushalmim, for our entertainment.
Also, I mentioned this on another thread about Shtisel, but my sense is that they are not chassidim, but rather perushim- Yerushalmi talmidei hagra.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:13 pm
yes I also thought they are not chassidim, but very RW yeshivish.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:31 pm
Um although Shtisel gets a lot of charedi nuances spot on (which is amusing) some things are very very off. I.e. no single guy approaches a woman in person, calls her by name, asks her on a date. That's just the start of it.
And as mentioned, they aren't chassidish rather Yerushalymi

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:36 pm
Williamsburg satmar, we met in hotel in NJ. We were both over 20. Our families are both more open minded.

justmarried

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:45 pm
I’m chassidish and the only time it’s “normal” to have a date instead of a sit in bshow is if it’s for a second marriage.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:57 pm
Justmarried, that is totally not true. The couples that go out don't officially date. They just have a regular beshow but not in the parents house. The only beshow I had at my parents house is the one right before the lechayim, and we're chassidish as can be and married a while bh.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:32 pm
justmarried wrote:
I’m chassidish and the only time it’s “normal” to have a date instead of a sit in bshow is if it’s for a second marriage.

That's not true. There are people that do go out on shidduch dates in the Chasidish world.
My brothers both dated and never had a beshow. They belong to a Chasiddus mentioned upthread .
My DH also dated girls before he met me. I was actually his only "sit in" date and that was actually my choice . My DH wears a shtreimel but comes from a more open minded family. Its not unheard of.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:12 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Um although Shtisel gets a lot of charedi nuances spot on (which is amusing) some things are very very off. I.e. no single guy approaches a woman in person, calls her by name, asks her on a date. That's just the start of it.
And as mentioned, they aren't chassidish rather Yerushalymi

So would you say that Yerushalmis are generally more open-minded than Chassidim, even though the dress is the same?

Im in my 60s and all my Chassidish relatives and friends had

Z E R O meetings outside of a house and parents were always present.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics