Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Freezing salomon
1  2  3  Next

cdawnr

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:00 pm
ok suppossed t have large dinner party on Sunday and bought a large salmon fillet. Now they are clalling for major snow...

What can I do with this fresh fish. Can I prepare it and then freeze it?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:03 pm
Probably but I would freeze it raw. If you don't think you will use the whole fish at once, cut it down into portions now and freeze in batches.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:05 pm
wait till sunday to see if the party is still on ... take it from there ... if necessary - I would freeze it raw as well ...

forever

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:22 pm
I freeze salmon fish raw. Then before cooking or baking it I take it out in advance and I dont see a difference in the taste.

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:44 pm
freeze (raw)it for sure. I do it all the time and it tastes great.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:49 pm
I wouldn't pay full price for fish and then freeze it. frozen fish is so much cheaper.

take it back.

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:51 pm
What store would take back fresh fish just because you had a change in plans Question

shoy18

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:52 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I wouldn't pay full price for fish and then freeze it. frozen fish is so much cheaper.

take it back.

you cant take it back just because you aren't using it.

Id freeze it, but wait until you know for sure you wont be having a party, the weather is never as accurate as they make it seem

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:56 pm
I have never had a problem returning freshly bought food at any c.h. store.

the butcher even told me I could return frozn stuff.

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 1:49 pm
I would be furious if I bought food that had left a store and been brought back by a customer. Who can verify the food handling was proper, just for startes.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 1:58 pm
there are laws about that ... must throw out brought back food items once left ... usdf would not be happy ...

I don't much like anything frozen ... but certainly a step up from having it get rotten ... I should think

btw - I so wonder of the joke Nervous technic would have said re "freeze salomon" Crying I know I would just laugh ...

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:02 pm
I would be horrified if a store took back fish or meat. Who knows if it was kept under decent conditions? It might have been left out for a day, or repeatedly frozen and defrosted.

My husband once returned a jar of creamed herring to a store because it didn't seem right. They put it right back on the shelf, knowing we had opened it and found it problematic.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:15 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I would be horrified if a store took back fish or meat. Who knows if it was kept under decent conditions? It might have been left out for a day, or repeatedly frozen and defrosted..

I'm with you on this!

Clarissa wrote:
My husband once returned a jar of creamed herring to a store because it didn't seem right. They put it right back on the shelf, knowing we had opened it and found it problematic.

Hope you found a better place to shop. Reminds me of when I was in a small kosher grocery and noticed some cream cheese past the expiration date. Way past. When I looked under the lid, it was all green. I pointed this out to the shop owner so that he could remove it from his shelves. He told me, "lady, it's still good. Just scrape away the mold. Underneath is fine." shock Some store owners just don't get it. Rolling Eyes

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:37 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Clarissa wrote:

Hope you found a better place to shop.

We avoided the store for a while, and then went back when we felt it might have changed management. Funny thing is that it was voted one of the best markets in NYC, in terms of cleanliness, right after this incident.

MiracleMama wrote:
Reminds me of when I was in a small kosher grocery and noticed some cream cheese past the expiration date. Way past. When I looked under the lid, it was all green. I pointed this out to the shop owner so that he could remove it from his shelves. He told me, "lady, it's still good. Just scrape away the mold. Underneath is fine." shock Some store owners just don't get it. Rolling Eyes

At least he didn't tell you it was a special, delicious herbal coating.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 3:17 pm
hey I didn't ask to take something back, they offered. more than once.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 4:35 pm
Clarissa wrote:

MiracleMama wrote:
Reminds me of when I was in a small kosher grocery and noticed some cream cheese past the expiration date. Way past. When I looked under the lid, it was all green. I pointed this out to the shop owner so that he could remove it from his shelves. He told me, "lady, it's still good. Just scrape away the mold. Underneath is fine." shock Some store owners just don't get it. Rolling Eyes

At least he didn't tell you it was a special, delicious herbal coating.

now that is funny ... I like herbs Nervous Shooting Arrow

MahPitom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:21 pm
I would bake it out and then use the leftovers to make salmon patties, salmon mouse, salmon spread. Mmmmmmmmmmm

But if you’re freezing it, freeze it raw.

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:14 pm
I slice it into individual portions, lay them on a cookie sheet, freeze, then put into ziplock baggie.
(cuz here, fresh is sometimes cheaper, and then I can 'stock up')

shopaholic

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:53 am
I would never take back fresh fish or meat unless it was bad when I got home. I freeze fresh salmon all the time, raw & take it out to defrost when I;m ready to cook it. Like most people said here, it's great.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:05 am
momof3, you can buy already frozen salmon or other fish for a fraction of the price of fresh. why would you pay top dollar and then freeze it?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics