Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you spend on a new wig?

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 3:16 pm
When I got married I got two expensive 3,000 wigs and one Bella that I don’t like to wear because of the cut. I’ve been wearing the expensive ones almost every day now. I’m getting a little nervous especially with summer coming around that I’ll ruin it by wearing it every day.... do the more expensive wigs get ruined faster because the hairs are finer? Or because they’re such good quality, will they last longer despite constant use? How will I get the most and longest use out of my wigs? Would you spend a few hundred dollars on a lower end wig for every day use, to save the good ones?

pizzapie

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 3:20 pm
I have heard that the less you wash the wig the longer it will last. I have a wig that I used for shabbos for close to 8 years. I washed it 2 to 3 times a year and it is still in decent condition. It was a fairly expensive wig too.
If you have the money I would recommend a cheaper wig, possibly a fall, for those hot, sweaty days of summer. You don't need to spend a lot to get a fall that looks good.

aricelli

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:48 pm
pizzapie wrote:
I have heard that the less you wash the wig the longer it will last. I have a wig that I used for shabbos for close to 8 years. I washed it 2 to 3 times a year and it is still in decent condition. It was a fairly expensive wig too.
If you have the money I would recommend a cheaper wig, possibly a fall, for those hot, sweaty days of summer. You don't need to spend a lot to get a fall that looks good.

And then you can wear the fall with a hat in the winter. The coats tangle my wigs so!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:53 pm
What are you saving the bella for if you don't like the cut? Maybe restyle so you can get use out of it.
For the summer you can totally get a cheaper wig.

aricelli

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:55 pm
Yes- theres so much to do for old wigs: I’ve dyed, added highlights, permed, relaxed, and even added long hair to a shorter wig!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
When I got married I got two expensive 3,000 wigs and one Bella that I don’t like to wear because of the cut. I’ve been wearing the expensive ones almost every day now. I’m getting a little nervous especially with summer coming around that I’ll ruin it by wearing it every day.... do the more expensive wigs get ruined faster because the hairs are finer? Or because they’re such good quality, will they last longer despite constant use? How will I get the most and longest use out of my wigs? Would you spend a few hundred dollars on a lower end wig for every day use, to save the good ones?

Yes, that's always been my policy. The more you wear a wig, the more it wears out. It gets dirty with food, touching it can leave it oily or knotty, and washing it can pull hairs out that don't regenerate. Wear the Bella one - I find myself not caring what I look like during the week so much. I wear wigs that don't particularly flatter me, but then I know when it's time to look good, I can pull out all the stops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics