Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
$6000 Wig?
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:15 am
Not wanting to hijack the other thread so I'm starting a new one.

a member wrote:
I had to purchase a low quality wig to use in the meantime. I only had one (first year of marriage. So it set me back 1500. I’m only asking for 600 back. 10%.

I cant help but wonder what a $6000 wig looks like. Its been a number of years since I've last bought a wig (last time was 6 years ago), but even then, $1500 could get a pretty nice wig, especially when you find a sale, and there are always sales! The most expensive wig that I've ever bought was 2k and I thought that was insane, in fact, its what was the final nail in the sheitel coffin for me! Are $6000 wigs truly the norm now?

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:46 am; edited 4 times in total

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:18 am
No, they aren't the norm. Far from it

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:22 am
I don't think $6000 wigs are the norm now. OP mentioned that she has thick long hair. If it's blond, they get pricey, and $6000 is not unheard of.

OP also mentioned she has a $1500 temporary wig. That sounds more pricey to me.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:26 am
watergirl, I admire your restraint: I would have used more than one question mark, and maybe interspersed with an exclamation point or two in my subject line.

(I'm not saying 6k wigs shouldn't exist, and I fargin the people who buy them, but the day they become the norm...reminds me of a joke. Guy wakes up after doing a Rip Van Winkle, first thing he does is find a public phone [it's an old joke, with holes, but bear with me] and call his financial guy and ask how much he's worth.
"$3 million," is the answer.
"Wow!" says Rip.
Says the operator, "Please insert another million dollars."

SuperWify

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:28 am
I’ve never heard of anyone spending more then $4k (crazy for me to fathom and extremely rare...), I’ve personally never spent more then $2k my average shaitel costing $1,200 around and I’m very happy with my “lower quality” wigs.

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:37 am
To me there’s no difference between and 2k wig and a 6. It’s a complete waste of money to me but I guess to each his own /

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:37 am
Not the norm at all.

I usually spend under 1500 and get beautiful long wigs. My color is a very common brown though. I imagine for red or blond they get more expensive but not 6k expensive

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:
watergirl, I admire your restraint: I would have used more than one question mark, and maybe interspersed with an exclamation point or two in my subject line.

(I'm not saying 6k wigs shouldn't exist, and I fargin the people who buy them, but the day they become the norm...reminds me of a joke. Guy wakes up after doing a Rip Van Winkle, first thing he does is find a public phone [it's an old joke, with holes, but bear with me] and call his financial guy and ask how much he's worth.
"$3 million," is the answer.
"Wow!" says Rip.
Says the operator, "Please insert another million dollars."

You should have seen my post before the restraint. I also fargin those who can buy them, but I am really hoping that this is not some kind of new norm.

r1

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:43 am
While I get where ur question is coming from I don’t think the op of that thread you quoted should be singled out. She is clearly well off, got married recently and somewhat later (she’s an attorney) and is doing what it takes for her to feel hood covering her hair, she mentioned her mother didn’t and she has beautiful hair and feels challenged by it.... (maybe take off the name?)

Dini’s are pretty night end and they’re around 4 for brunettes, but that’s not blonde or another hard color, and not extra long etc.

These are the high end, beyond luxury wigs, not the typical or the norm. Then again, there are ppl spending TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on bags and similar numbers or more on jewelry etc. if they can afford it let them spend however much they want on a wig.

Most ppl I know have wigs under 2k and maybe 1 from the 3/4K league from their wedding or another special occasion.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:45 am
r1 wrote:
While I get where ur question is coming from I don’t think the op of that thread you quoted should be singled out. She is clearly well off, got married recently and somewhat later (she’s an attorney) and is doing what it takes for her to feel hood covering her hair, she mentioned her mother didn’t and she has beautiful hair and feels challenged by it.... (maybe take off the name?)

Dini’s are pretty night end and they’re around 4 for brunettes, but that’s not blonde or another hard color, and not extra long etc.

These are the high end, beyond luxury wigs, not the typical or the norm. Then again, there are ppl spending TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on bags and similar numbers or more on jewelry etc. if they can afford it let them spend however much they want on a wig.

Most ppl I know have wigs under 2k and maybe 1 from the 3/4K league from their wedding or another special occasion.

ok, I removed the name.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:03 am
Never heard of a $6000 wig. The most I heard of is $5000. But then again, j don’t walk around asking people how much they pay for their wigs. So it could be they are wearing $6000 wigs and I just don’t know about it. The most I ever spent was $2300 about 7 years ago. Since then the most I spent was $1700. They are quite long. I get a million compliments. Unless I had millions of dollars to spare, I don’t think I would ever spend more then that. There’s no point.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:16 am
I also never heard of a $6000 wig, but I do think that prices went up a lot in the last ten years. When I got married, top-of-the-range wigs went for around $2000, and I bought a nice one for a little under 1000.

Now, sheitel machers I went to gave me the impression that for around $1000, you can really only expect to get a low quality sheitel.

simba

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:18 am
One can also spend $6000.00 on shoes if they wanted to. Doesn’t make it the norm.
I am not sure why it’s surprising.

renslet

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:23 am
When I got married ( about a year and a half ago)I had two wigs, one I had won in an auction a year or so before it was worth $2650 ( the voucher was 2500, they made me at the rest) the other I paid 3200 or so.
The one that I won is a complete lemon, the other is great ( different company) but does knot very quickly.
My point - it is totally mazel, not what you pay I would never spend 3k again, I've seen much nicer for way less

trixx

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:31 am
6k will also come with a custom sized cap and custom front designed to your hairline - I know Barbara does that, I'm sure for blond she could go up to 6 but for dark she's more like 4

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:12 pm
ridic

mig100

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
You should have seen my post before the restraint. I also fargin those who can buy them, but I am really hoping that this is not some kind of new norm.

There r plenty of good options for 1500-2500.

I don't care if others want to spend 6k. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Just if u want to get an idea Of what to expect to pay realistically when u need. A new wig I'd say 2k is more then enough.

( eta obviously depends on ur length and color may be bit more- still in that range.)

Last edited by mig100 on Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

WastingTime

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:35 pm
And my husband thought my 6000 shekel wig was outrageous

mig100

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:43 pm
r1 wrote:

I guess im missing something- maybe I just dont understand english.

I read through ops post 3 times. it seems to me that her question is as follows

she has not bought a wig in a few years- and when she is looking to purchase one - she wants to have an idea of whats realistic to spend on a good wig. prices sometimes increase at shocking rates. so shes wondering if this is the case with wigs? or if this wig is more expensive one than the norm?

why is there always an assumption that if someone spends more on something than others would- that we are judging and being resentful?? where does op hint at any resentment?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:50 pm
When I saw the other thread I said it's after 12 I have to go to sleep

Either it's a typo or my vision is blurry
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels