Home

Lox and Bagel Soup

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 6:54 pm
This was a fun variation of classic potato soup Very Happy

Lox and Bagel Soup

Excerpt From: Rosie Daykin - Let Me Feed You

Makes 6 servings

¼ cup butter
1 cup finely sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
1 cup finely chopped celery
½ cup peeled and finely chopped shallots
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on, chopped in ½-inch cubes
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup full-fat cream cheese
5 cups vegetable stock
4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped into chunks
Salt and pepper, plus sea salt for sprinkling
1 plain bagel, very thinly sliced

In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the leeks, celery, and shallots and cook until they begin to soften and are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and dill and continue to cook, stirring often, for another 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust the heat to avoid the shallots browning.

Add the lemon zest and cream cheese and stir to combine. You don’t want any lumps of cream cheese, just a smooth, even coating across all the vegetables.

Add the chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and fully cooked.

Use a large liquid measuring cup to scoop up half the soup mixture and transfer it to a blender to puree (I like to blend only half the soup so that some chunks of potato and bits of leek and celery remain for that chowder effect). Return the puree to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chopped smoked salmon, have a taste, and season with salt and pepper if you feel it needs it.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Melt the remaining butter in the microwave and use a pastry brush to lightly coat one side of each slice of bagel, then sprinkle with a little sea salt. Spread the bagel slices, buttered side up, across a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned and very crunchy.
Top each bowl of soup with some of the bagel chips and serve.

Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days. Freezing isn’t really an option because of the cream cheese, so eat it all up!
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 6:56 pm
From what I know, one is not supposed to cook milk and fish together.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 6:58 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
From what I know, one is not supposed to cook milk and fish together.

That's only a minhag by some.
Jews are famously knows for bagels, cream cheese and lox! Many people make parmesan crusted fish and the like too.
Back to top

chicco




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
This was a fun variation of classic potato soup Very Happy

Lox and Bagel Soup

Excerpt From: Rosie Daykin - Let Me Feed You

Makes 6 servings

¼ cup butter
1 cup finely sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
1 cup finely chopped celery
½ cup peeled and finely chopped shallots
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on, chopped in ½-inch cubes
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup full-fat cream cheese
5 cups vegetable stock
4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped into chunks
Salt and pepper, plus sea salt for sprinkling
1 plain bagel, very thinly sliced

In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the leeks, celery, and shallots and cook until they begin to soften and are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and dill and continue to cook, stirring often, for another 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust the heat to avoid the shallots browning.

Add the lemon zest and cream cheese and stir to combine. You don’t want any lumps of cream cheese, just a smooth, even coating across all the vegetables.

Add the *chicken stock* and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and fully cooked.

Use a large liquid measuring cup to scoop up half the soup mixture and transfer it to a blender to puree (I like to blend only half the soup so that some chunks of potato and bits of leek and celery remain for that chowder effect). Return the puree to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chopped smoked salmon, have a taste, and season with salt and pepper if you feel it needs it.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Melt the remaining butter in the microwave and use a pastry brush to lightly coat one side of each slice of bagel, then sprinkle with a little sea salt. Spread the bagel slices, buttered side up, across a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned and very crunchy.
Top each bowl of soup with some of the bagel chips and serve.

Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days. Freezing isn’t really an option because of the cream cheese, so eat it all up!


It is mostly Sefardim that hold milk and cheese are a problem, but I'm pretty sure everyone holds chicken stock doesn't go with fish...or cheese...

Tongue Out
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:05 pm
I automatically convert to vegetable stock when necessary.
Back to top

chicco




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
I automatically convert to vegetable stock when necessary.


I'm sure you do, I was just making a joke because you forgot to correct it in the instructions. I didn't mean to offend you. I can change my post.

It really does sound like an interesting recipe!
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:24 pm
Oh I didn't know it's a minhag.
Chassidim also hold by this.
Back to top

cnc




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:10 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Oh I didn't know it's a minhag.
Chassidim also hold by this.


Not all Chassidim.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO good bean soup recipe.
by happy12
3 Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:06 pm View last post
Soup using chicken & meat
by smile
1 Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:31 pm View last post
by egam
Looking for bean soup recipe - pref. made with canned beans
by amother
6 Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:42 pm View last post
Lentil soup without can of tomatoes? 13 Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:56 pm View last post
Too much salt? Beef and barley soup BY 2 cookbook
by amother
4 Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:44 pm View last post
by egam

Jump to: