Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Development living
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

aricelli

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:58 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
So go to Tom's River

In a place like the villas or Somerset or Chesterfield etc.. 4/500k gets you a 5 bedroom house with a teeny yard front and back and few amenities

The same money in TR you can get a very big yard a pool a deck , often many other things

6/7 buys a resort.

As a added bonus, places like TR and Jackson, at least for now keep the more extremist element in check and prevent them from getting too weird and crazy

How do they do that?

leah233

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:02 am
There are a lot of downsides to developments but they are cheaper and that's a typical tradeoff in life.

Had I known then what I know now I would have tried harder to avoid development life.

Realistically speaking, however, at the time I bought my house it was the only option that was financially feasible for me. And for the time being I'm not looking for the upheaval of moving.

If it was as easy as just pressing a button to change things I would move to a private house right after Pesach. Now that it isn't I'm not going crazy from it.

One other point for the OP. This is all coming from women's perspectives. One of the main reasons people tell me they are moving away from my development is because "my husband doesn't feel it's his place here" . It could be they are embarrassed to say it about themselves so they say it about their husbands but it is something to keep in mind.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:08 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
So go to Tom's River

In a place like the villas or Somerset or Chesterfield etc.. 4/500k gets you a 5 bedroom house with a teeny yard front and back and few amenities

The same money in TR you can get a very big yard a pool a deck , often many other things

6/7 buys a resort.

As a added bonus, places like TR and Jackson, at least for now keep the more extremist element in check and prevent them from getting too weird and crazy

Moving to TR can be hard also. For example my son is bat mitzvah and has class mates who don’t live within walking distance of a weekday maariv and daven at home.
I don’t think brook hill or in the woods is truly a development. To me it looks like living on any block just with a name. It’s not a good comparison.

And keeping out the ‘extremists’ is cliquey. Who decides. My friend is a realtor and sold a home in Toms River in a development lots of frum people who ‘escaped’ ny bought in and he was threatened not to move there because he didn’t fit the image. He ended up breaking his contract. I thought it was horrible. My friend who moved there feels the eighborhood isn’t at all how he thought it would go.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:13 am
Notsobusy wrote:
Of course it depends on many things, like the neighborhood and size of property, but probably around $200,000 for the same size house.

When we were looking to buy we really didn't want a development. We are very private and we couldn't imagine living like that. We were deciding between a development with single 5 bedroom houses with tiny properties or a much smaller house on a large lot on a private block for about the same price. We chose the small house and are so happy here. We love our neighbors, everyone is very friendly, the kids have great friends, but we still have our privacy.

That's incredibly cheap

I wouldn't want to live in a development from the sound of it, (I've actually been to Lakewood a total of 5x in my life despite being yeshivish as anything, lol) but I'm glad that low cost options exist for frum families to purchase property.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:14 am
ectomorph wrote:
I'm still curious

It’s hard to say bc there aren’t really new builds of 5 bedroom 3 bathroom in Lakewood that aren’t in a development . But I agree with PP about 200-250k.

We rent . We pay 2100 for a very nice house in a development . We saw similar houses that were not in developments (like ten cookie cutter houses on one street together but not a development ) and they were around 2800.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:14 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Ectomorph, depending on where you buy an house, the price can be double than in a development.
Regularly, it's at least $300,000-$400,000 more.
(This is from my observation in Monsey, we're in the buying process.)

Wow. That's a huge difference.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
It’s hard to say bc there aren’t really new builds of 5 bedroom 3 bathroom in Lakewood that aren’t in a development . But I agree with PP about 200-250k.

We rent . We pay 2100 for a very nice house in a development . We saw similar houses that were not in developments (like ten cookie cutter houses on one street together but not a development ) and they were around 2800.

That's like Brooklyn 30-40 years ago.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:17 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
So go to Tom's River

6/7 buys a resort.

I don’t think you can compare the Villas - private houses with decent yards all fenced in separately - semi walking distance to yeshiva - to chesterfield - attached on both sides , poor landscaping and no yards , way down the 9 and requiring you take a left on the 9 to go anywhere .... which is hard. I don’t think the villas can be had for less than 600.

I know chesterfield rents for as low as 1700 a month, the villas well over 2000.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:18 am
I own and live in a condo in BP.
When my children were young, I loved it most of the time.
There was always company for me and playmates for the kids.
Now that the majority of my children are teenagers, I dislike it.
My husband has his job here so moving to Monsey or NJ is not an option right now.
Buying a private house in Brooklyn is also not an option as we can’t afford it.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:20 am
Brookhill is a neighborhood, not a development. Every house has its own large lawn and backyard, there's privacy.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I own and live in a condo in BP.
When my children were young, I loved it most of the time.
There was always company for me and playmates for the kids.
Now that the majority of my children are teenagers, I dislike it.
My husband has his job here so moving to Monsey or NJ is not an option right now.
Buying a private house in Brooklyn is also not an option as we can’t afford it.

Don't want to say where I live but we lived in an apartment for several years then a condo then a house.

I completely agree it was fine w babies. As my kids get older I wanted private space outside that was gated in that I could let my kids okay outside without being right there.

And with teens you want them to be able to storm out of the house to cool off without encountering anyone

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:22 am
ectomorph wrote:
What is the price difference between buying in a development vs private home in Lakewood?

New homes in developments (duplexes, townhomes) are about $100-200 k cheaper than single homes.

New homes in developments go for $569k + depending on location.
Old homes in developments cost $300-450 k.
Old, similar sized homes in non developments can cost $300-450 k.

New developments are not so common anymore. More common is duplex rows on regular streets.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:27 am
Why not privacy compared to a building

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
New homes in developments (duplexes, townhomes) are about $100-200 k cheaper than single homes.

New homes in non developments go for $569k + depending on location.
Old homes in developments cost $300-450 k.
Old, similar sized homes in non developments can cost $300-450 k.

New developments are not so common anymore. More common is duplex rows on regular streets.

I added the word non-I assume that's what you mean

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:37 am
ectomorph wrote:
I added the word non-I assume that's what you mean

No.
Homes in new developments (cedar wood hills, hampshire heights) go for $569+

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
No.

So you're saying that new homes in developments are 569? And old developments and old houses are both 300-400?

For 500 you can probably build a custom home in a lot from scratch.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:41 am
ectomorph wrote:
So you're saying that new homes in developments are 569? And old developments and old houses are both 300-400?

For 500 you can probably build a custom home in a lot from scratch.

Yes that is what I'm saying.
For $500 you can build a custom home (on the modest side) but the lot itself will cost $200-400 k so that's 700-900 at least and that is being on the very conservative side.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:45 am
ectomorph wrote:
That's incredibly cheap

I wouldn't want to live in a development from the sound of it, (I've actually been to Lakewood a total of 5x in my life despite being yeshivish as anything, lol) but I'm glad that low cost options exist for frum families to purchase property.

No, it’s 200k LESS. That’s not the total price. New developments start around 500k (basic things in the house such as a lawn and not having industrial carpet in the dining room are “additions” and raise the price ).

You can however buy a 4 bedroom in Jackson in a neighborhood that isn’t all Jewish yet for the low 300s.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:46 am
ectomorph wrote:
That's like Brooklyn 30-40 years ago.

My friends in Brooklyn pay 2k for their apartments today. However they’re much smaller than anything in Lakewood.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
No.

Down the 9, my development started in the very high 400s. It is duplexes .
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating