Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Did the halachos change?
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can anyone explain how is it that 20 years ago or so, when there were no self cleaning ovens, woman kashered it by cleaning it with chemicals, but today that is not acceptable and we must use self cleaning?

Before they had a self-cleaning oven, my parents did not use their oven on Pesach. I grew up cooking cakes in a wonderpot on the stove, using a tiny toaster oven for brownines, and meats were cooked in a dutch oven or pressure cooker....Kugel in a fry pan (delicious!), etc....

Not everyone held that cleaning with chemicals was sufficient, and my father opted out of using a blow torch, which could damage your oven and your self.

So no, Halachos did not change.

I did hear that some Rabbanim hold you can Kasher your oven by spraying and cleaning with easy-off, not using for 24 hours, and then running on highest temperature (forgot for how long). But my Rabbi does not hold that way.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:00 pm
We grew up with stove top cooking on Pesach only. My parents didn't use the oven.
When I had a non self clean oven I did stovetop cooking the first few years on a separate cooktop and eventually we purchased a 24" full range that fit only a 9x13 in the oven but it did the job. I was then able to store it behind my clothes in my walk in closet in my tiny apartment.
Once I bought my house I have a self clean oven but until then we used a separate Pesachdig oven. We never kashered a non self clean oven.

iyar

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:10 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Before they had a self-cleaning oven, my parents did not use their oven on Pesach. I grew up cooking cakes in a wonderpot on the stove, using a tiny toaster oven for brownines, and meats were cooked in a dutch oven or pressure cooker....Kugel in a fry pan (delicious!), etc....

Not everyone held that cleaning with chemicals was sufficient, and my father opted out of using a blow torch, which could damage your oven and your self.

So no, Halachos did not change.

I did hear that some Rabbanim hold you can Kasher your oven by spraying and cleaning with easy-off, not using for 24 hours, and then running on highest temperature (forgot for how long). But my Rabbi does not hold that way.

Thank you Chayalle, for saving me the bother.
I was going to post exactly that, including the delicious kugel in a fry pan!
(We also never used a blow torch but I know people who did, and I know lots of people who used those awful oven inserts.)

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:10 pm
sneakermom wrote:
I never heard of self cleaning twice.

I sometimes self clean twice. But it isn't for kashrus purposes (I know that burnt out stuff left behind is NOT food and certainly not chametz) but because I've let my ovens get so horribly filthy that one self-clean cycle just isn't enough to get it looking clean. TMI

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:42 pm
I love Israeli small appliances. One cheap toaster oven for meat and baking, and one stovetop double burner for frying. They both store away in a very small amount of space. You can store all your extra disposables, napkins, etc. inside the oven before you put it back in the box, and that helps save even more storage.

My everyday toaster oven and stovetop get shoved under the sink, and I tape that cabinet shut. Easy peasy.

Of course, I'm not cooking for 20 people, but I have been able to make Pesach for 8 using this method. I could probably do enough for a big crowd, if I cooked ahead and planned it right.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics