Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
MASS PANIC ATTACK!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:14 pm
I'm looking for menu ideas and keep bumping into threads where people say THEY'RE ALREADY BEHIND SCHEDULE because they haven't finished cooking yet. So I happen to glance up and notice the date - THIS WAS LAST WEEK!!!!!

Am I the only one still in middle of turning over?

If not, please hyperventilate with me!

Like if you're still not finished your kitchen, hug if you're already eating Pesach meals for two weeks. (AND THEN GO AWAAAAAAAAAAY!)

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:17 pm
yup...still turning over, and plenty more to do than that! I'm planning very simple menus.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:28 pm
Still turning over. Freaking out but figure it all has to fall into place somehow

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:41 pm
Relax!! The worst thing to do is compare yourself to othere!! Everyone goes on their own pace.
We'll be kashering tomorrow evening & I'll start cooking. I don't do complicated pesach so it's enough time for me. And one morning meal is chulent. I'm really not worried.
Just remember, don't compare!!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:46 pm
Everyone works at their own pace. It’s not a race or contest. If it’s a panic trigger than don’t read those posts! Just do what you gotta do when you wana do😀

happy12

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:03 pm
Turned over half the kitchen.(dairy side will do tomorrow night.)
Will start cooking tomorrow late afternoon after work.
Don't stress yourself base on everyone else. Do what works for you.

Chloe22

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:08 pm
In the middle of turning over. Just cooking a little, got a lot of takeout. Today was my first day of "vacation".

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:38 am
I slept about 2 hours, turned over meat side only before sleeping. My house looks awfull. I had very good intentions but they did not happen. Bli neder going for therapy right after yom tov. I WANT to change. Family suffers like this. If I dont go right away or get at least an appt it will not happen. My house is flying! I woke up after the 2 hours and wanted so much to fall asleep again but it didnt go. Im taking now a Xanax because anxiety is making me naueaus. And it will weaken me too. Im not scared of medicine. I need. It will restore calmness. It does not knock dowm. I can continie work now. Someone sent me all fish ready from a chasidishe take out Very Happy and we serve fish every meal besides for meat. This is it. No touching this addictive phone till the AM bli neder

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 6:11 am
Turning over today. You don't need to make a 5 course meal for each meal. People who turn over a week before either over eat of have a lot of company. You don't have to make such fancy food.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:06 am
Like everyone else has said, you do you and dont pay attention to where other people are holding. You will be much happier that way.

But between you and me (and whoever else is reading this), I have no idea what people are doing when they've kashered last week already and have been cooking for days. We wanted to turn over the kitchen last night and managed to do one counter and sink and not the other one - thats ok. The oven will be kashered today while I'm at work. When I get home, I will start to cook. I assume many of the people who started cooking last week already use very few ingredients and/or make very involved recipes. I work full time and have a side job as well, and my husband works full time as well (is off today BH). We cook as simply as we possibly can.

Also, there is this phenomenon that seems to be a thing on pesach that people make way more dessert than they normally would any other time of the year. I dont buy into that. If people are hungry in my house, they are welcome to nosh on carrots and apples. Would everyone prefer cakes and cookies? Of course they would.I make some. Not a ton.

I made my menu last night for the first days; both sedarim and all day meals. We have guests for all. My menu is basic and can be cooked between tonight and tomorrow (I have off tomorrow BH!). Each meal has: G. fish, night meals have chicken soup, then some kind of chicken in bottled sauce or with spices, and for a vegetable, a cooked veg, quinoa tabbouleh, or salad (one of the three, not a combination), and a kugel (I'll make a potato kugel, squash kugel, and a cauliflower/mushroom kugel). Also a dessert (I'm making brownies, a sponge cake, and a vanilla pudding cake). Thats plenty of food. No one needs to eat more than that.

I dont cook on YT because I dont like to leave on a flame and I dont like to leave the oven on - it just scares me. My electric blech is on a timer. This keeps it all simple and lets me have menucha.

Just keep it simple and dont worry about the women who make massive patchka meals. Thats good for them. You do you and enjoy it!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:53 am
I feel you. Agreed that everyone has to work at their own pace. We’ve been mostly turned over since Sunday and eating our not specifically pesach food on paper plates warned in microwave. Today we need to finish getting rid of things that aren’t klp ( like the kimchi I made a couple of months ago). Mean time though, I have cooked a lot of pesach. Since we have turned over, and I had two big roasts to sous vide, those are done as well as some other stuff. Turkey in the sous vide today. I just hope my husband gets the fridge cleared before his mother gets here. Lol. Also, my deadline is slightly moved up because I volunteered to work 9-5 tomorrow. Yup. Bodies needed. So I’ll be ready tonight for both seders and days. Artificial deadlines work for me.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:58 am
For all intents and purposes, you're cooking for Shabbat plus one extra meal. You can cook on Sunday, assuming that your oven or range is on. (You can even light your range from an existing flame -- you just can't turn it back off again.) So you're in great shape.

(Remind me of this later. I'm in a semi-panic myself.)

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:01 am
We have tons of chometz all over. BH we have a pesach kitchen, which we will be opening tonight or tomorrow. BH we also have a cleaning lady, but we did not do any special "pesach cleaning." So, don't worry, it's not really a big deal.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:44 am
I've been crawl-like-an-animal sick for 3 days, so my house is not yet done, and bedikat hametz is coming. I'm finally starting to feel better, but DH doesn't get off work until 11 pm. It's going to be a long night...

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:55 am
Rappel wrote:
I've been crawl-like-an-animal sick for 3 days, so my house is not yet done, and bedikat hametz is coming. I'm finally starting to feel better, but DH doesn't get off work until 11 pm. It's going to be a long night...

Oy. I feel you.
End-stage pregnancy (that's what I call it. Smile ) and dh won't be leaving work before 9. Maybe not before 10:30..... an hour commute home....

We really want the kids to be up by bedikas chamatz. When we loved near my sister I sent my kids over to her. But now we live too far to hop over.
So in putting the kids in for a nap in 10. (They are "swimming" in the bath now....) and then I'll finish turning over/covering and then I can start taking the pesach stuff out and start cooking.
We aren't home for first days but I still need to cook for chol hamoed and second days. And chol hamoed it's very hard to with kids around and I hate cooking on yom tov.
Bh we got a new Grill and microwave convection oven so that will be for pesach this year. Well Grill 2 chol hamoed days. And I have an oven. My plan is between today and tomorrow, to make veggy soup, chicken soup, compote, crepes, kugel and brownies.
I probably won't get to half. But I want to. Problem is, it's before 12 and I'm beyond exhausted. Tempted to nap either my kids....

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Oy. I feel you.
End-stage pregnancy (that's what I call it. Smile ) and dh won't be leaving work before 9. Maybe not before 10:30..... an hour commute home....

We really want the kids to be up by bedikas chamatz. When we loved near my sister I sent my kids over to her. But now we live too far to hop over.
So in putting the kids in for a nap in 10. (They are "swimming" in the bath now....) and then I'll finish turning over/covering and then I can start taking the pesach stuff out and start cooking.
We aren't home for first days but I still need to cook for chol hamoed and second days. And chol hamoed it's very hard to with kids around and I hate cooking on yom tov.
Bh we got a new Grill and microwave convection oven so that will be for pesach this year. Well Grill 2 chol hamoed days. And I have an oven. My plan is between today and tomorrow, to make veggy soup, chicken soup, compote, crepes, kugel and brownies.
I probably won't get to half. But I want to. Problem is, it's before 12 and I'm beyond exhausted. Tempted to nap either my kids....

Wow! Beshaa tova, ubeyadayim mele'ot!

You're amazing. I'm planning for my family to live on matzah pizzah for the rest of life. LOL just celebrating each minute as it comes.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:22 pm
I turned over Sunday/Monday and have been baking. My parents are turning over tonight. I am not nervous for the cooking. I only turned over early because my kids like specific cookies that take forever to make. I also did all baking and egg lukshen for relatives.

Everyone works different, my mother thinks I am nuts for turning over so early. I enjoy the time to bake which is my pesach highlight.

Don't panic. It will get done

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:31 pm
watergirl wrote:
Like everyone else has said, you do you and dont pay attention to where other people are holding. You will be much happier that way.

But between you and me (and whoever else is reading this), I have no idea what people are doing when they've kashered last week already and have been cooking for days. We wanted to turn over the kitchen last night and managed to do one counter and sink and not the other one - thats ok. The oven will be kashered today while I'm at work. When I get home, I will start to cook. I assume many of the people who started cooking last week already use very few ingredients and/or make very involved recipes. I work full time and have a side job as well, and my husband works full time as well (is off today BH). We cook as simply as we possibly can.

Also, there is this phenomenon that seems to be a thing on pesach that people make way more dessert than they normally would any other time of the year. I dont buy into that. If people are hungry in my house, they are welcome to nosh on carrots and apples. Would everyone prefer cakes and cookies? Of course they would.I make some. Not a ton.

I made my menu last night for the first days; both sedarim and all day meals. We have guests for all. My menu is basic and can be cooked between tonight and tomorrow (I have off tomorrow BH!). Each meal has: G. fish, night meals have chicken soup, then some kind of chicken in bottled sauce or with spices, and for a vegetable, a cooked veg, quinoa tabbouleh, or salad (one of the three, not a combination), and a kugel (I'll make a potato kugel, squash kugel, and a cauliflower/mushroom kugel). Also a dessert (I'm making brownies, a sponge cake, and a vanilla pudding cake). Thats plenty of food. No one needs to eat more than that.

I dont cook on YT because I dont like to leave on a flame and I dont like to leave the oven on - it just scares me. My electric blech is on a timer. This keeps it all simple and lets me have menucha.

Just keep it simple and dont worry about the women who make massive patchka meals. Thats good for them. You do you and enjoy it!

Can I have your vanilla pudding cake recipe, please?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:01 pm
I just finished the kitchen literally MINUTES before bedikas chametz.

I found some non KLP cat food in a corner, but that was it. Everything else is shoved into closets and taped up.

I've never in my life been so happy that I have a tiny kitchen! LOL

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:07 pm
juggling wrote:
Can I have your vanilla pudding cake recipe, please?

Sure, I’ll type it up when I get home from work. It was in One of the magazines a couple years ago.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics