Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
This is why there is vaccine-hesitancy
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:29 pm
Laiya wrote:
I'm not the poster you were addressing, but there's the whole peanut-allergy thing. For years, drs advised parents not to introduce peanuts to babies before age 1 or 2, in the hope that keeping potential allergens away would reduce the possibility of the child developing an allergy.

Then they looked at allergy rates and realized that Israel has far lower peanut-allergy rates than the countries that were restricting peanuts, and theorized that it's because very young babies are given bamba in Israel. So now they reversed and they're saying to give peanuts right away, on the new theory that exposure to potential allergens is what prevents allergies.

I remember reading that. Exposure to allergens is not the same as sanitation and hygiene, though, is it?

cbsp

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:29 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Actually recent studies have shown that the rise of autoimmune diseases are correlated with increases in cleanliness and sanitation. For example, there are very few allergies for kids who grow up on a farm. As the anti-vaxxers say, do your research.

Interesting, wasn't that how the smallpox vaccine was discovered? By realizing that those farmworkers who were exposed to the animal variant were not getting sick and dying when the epidemic jumped to humans?

Or am I just remembering Agent of Byzantium by Harry Turtledove and his scenario had no basis in reality?

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:31 pm
cbsp wrote:
Interesting, wasn't that how the smallpox vaccine was discovered? By realizing that those farmworkers who were exposed to the animal variant were not getting sick and dying when the epidemic jumped to humans?

Or am I just remembering Agent of Byzantium by Harry Turtledove and his scenario had no basis in reality?

Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids didn't come down with smallpox after contracting cowpox. In fact, the word vaccine comes from the Latin word for cow, vacca.

cbsp

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:42 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids didn't come down with smallpox after contracting cowpox. In fact, the word vaccine comes from the Latin word for cow, vacca.

Ok, close enough.

So they invented vaccines so we don't all have to milk cows and contract cowpox, etc. I'm researched out...

Laiya

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:45 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I remember reading that. Exposure to allergens is not the same as sanitation and hygiene, though, is it?

I thought the idea is that sanitation and hygiene mean that we are not being exposed to microbes and pathogens, so your body isn't learning how to create a normal immune response.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:03 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Actually recent studies have shown that the rise of autoimmune diseases are correlated with increases in cleanliness and sanitation. For example, there are very few allergies for kids who grow up on a farm. As the anti-vaxxers say, do your research.

I was discussing autoimmune diseases, not allergies.
They are both hyper immune responses, but very different categories.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I was discussing autoimmune diseases, not allergies.
They are both hyper immune responses, but very different categories.

And I was specifically looking for more information on the CDC's recommendations with regards to "immune system problems". ( CDC has a separate point relating to allergies and vaccinations).
Can anyone shed any light?
(I'm provax by the way)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 9:10 pm
yksraya I love your post.

LOVE

nchr

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:49 pm
youngishbear wrote:

And prior to that, the Turks were inoculating individuals by taking a smallpox scab, rubbing it against someone's arm, and subsequently piercing the area where the scab had rubbed. It has a high instance of severe reactions, including smallpox infections (which were usually milder), and resulted in death a large percentage of the time, but the Turks were willing to subject themselves to that because the risk of dying from natural smallpox was worse. Later, Jenner create the actual vaccination - and the first in history with a formal name.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics