Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
RSV vaccine for newborns

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:57 am
The hospital is recommending that I give it to the baby before I'm discharged, especially because he is slightly preterm and the local pediatricians are out of stock. Wwyd? Is it a good idea?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:01 pm
I would do it. Rsv is super dangerous and is going around heavily.
I gave it for my 8 week old. No fevers after no side effects.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:05 pm
I assume you mean beyfortus because it doesn’t sound like your baby would be a candidate for synagis?

Beyfortus isn’t a vaccine, it’s a monoclonal antibody shot. The antibody stays in baby’s system long enough to get them through their first RSV season.

We gave it to our micro as soon as we could. Our pulmonologist and pediatrician worked really hard to get us to the top of the list. He did really well with it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:08 pm
I gave it to my newborn in the hospital. I called my pediatrician before just to make sure he’s fine with it and he said to give it.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:17 pm
Has it been on the market for several years to track it's safety long term?

amother
White

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:23 pm
I would not do it
risk benefit analysis
too new

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:00 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I assume you mean beyfortus because it doesn’t sound like your baby would be a candidate for synagis?

Beyfortus isn’t a vaccine, it’s a monoclonal antibody shot. The antibody stays in baby’s system long enough to get them through their first RSV season.

We gave it to our micro as soon as we could. Our pulmonologist and pediatrician worked really hard to get us to the top of the list. He did really well with it.

Following up to say his sister just this afternoon tested positive for RSV on day two of symptoms. So far he’s not showing symptoms and his oxygen saturations are looking good (he’s on oxygen and wears a pulse oximeter 24/7). He gets breastmilk so there’s some antibodies there, but now we daven and hope the shot does its job.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:37 pm
Jungle green how’s your baby?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 3:17 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Jungle green how’s your baby?

BH he did so well! He did catch it but the biggest symptom has just been general malaise. Today is day 5 for him and except for one bout of wheezing right before Shabbos, he hasn’t needed any interventions. Considering he had bronchiolitis from something else in Nov that put us back in hospital, I’m so relieved that it seems to have worked for him.

He did much better than his sister, who needed her inhaler several times and lots of meds and supportive care.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
BH he did so well! He did catch it but the biggest symptom has just been general malaise. Today is day 5 for him and except for one bout of wheezing right before Shabbos, he hasn’t needed any interventions. Considering he had bronchiolitis from something else in Nov that put us back in hospital, I’m so relieved that it seems to have worked for him.

He did much better than his sister, who needed her inhaler several times and lots of meds and supportive care.

Wow! B’H so happy to hear! Hope they both recover quickly.
We ended up in the PICU with my now 6 year old when she had rsv with bronchiolitis at 15 months. This after trying to keep her home with respiratory support we had available for her (of course with drs guidance. We had oxygen and pulse ox).
This is one of the reasons I decided to give my now newborn the beyfortus.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 1:22 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Wow! B’H so happy to hear! Hope they both recover quickly.
We ended up in the PICU with my now 6 year old when she had rsv with bronchiolitis at 15 months. This after trying to keep her home with respiratory support we had available for her (of course with drs guidance. We had oxygen and pulse ox).
This is one of the reasons I decided to give my now newborn the beyfortus.

Yikes! Every medical mom’s worst nightmare I think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics