Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Please explain it to me, another mmr post
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:07 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
1. Not every woman is able to breastfeed.

Immunity is transmitted through the uterus, not through breastfeeding.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:11 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
The woman asked a question, for heavens sake. And she said she vaccinates. Can nobody ask any questions anymore without being labeled an antivaxxer, idiot, or conspiracy theorist?? Are we not allowed to think anymore?

Thanks for sticking up for me.
I just want to know
No agenda/No propaganda
Plus I’m a Bubby already who vaccinated all my kids, on time, all vaccines
Except for chicken pox, because they all got the chicken pox.

amother
Honeydew

amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Benign in childhood? Oh I will tell that to the one yeAr old on oxygen now suffering from measles in the hospital

Can't say for sure without knowing the details but many today don't know proper protocol for measles treatment. Fever reducer with measles, for example, can cause many issues.

nchr

amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
The woman asked a question, for heavens sake. And she said she vaccinates. Can nobody ask any questions anymore without being labeled an antivaxxer, idiot, or conspiracy theorist?? Are we not allowed to think anymore?

Again, people may ask questions and other posters may respond with their own personal opinions. Why are you getting so worked up about it?

momsrus

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:19 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Immunity is transmitted through the uterus, not through breastfeeding.

That’s a new one.

nchr

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:20 pm
I'll respond to the OP. There needs to be a certain percentage of individuals who are vaccinated in order to maintain "herd immunity." Herd immunity protects those who are too young or too ill to be vaccinated, or those who do not develop immunity even after having been vaccinated (which is about 3% in regards to measles). With herd immunity you are able to avoid outbreaks because immune individuals cannot because ill with or transmit the measles virus and they protect those previously mentioned. Here is a nice video illustrating how herd immunity works: https://imgur.com/gallery/8M7q8#J7LANQ4.

Also, since the measles vaccine is about 97% effective (with 2 doses), if you have 1,000 children in a school, even if 90% are vaccinated (below the rate of herd immunity), 27 of those 900 students will have still not developed immunity and may become ill if exposed in school. Keep in mind that 90 of the 100 students who are not vaccinated would become ill. Parents do not want this happening, nor do teachers. The vaccine is effective, however, and I am not concerned about my children playing with unvaccinated individuals, but I would not want my infant around someone who is not vaccinated because he is too young to be vaccinated.

In addition, vaccination is definitely a choice, and it is a right to choose which I believe should be protected; however, making such a choice may mean that unvaccinated children may be denied the right to attend public schools (or private schools, per the administration and rules), or may be allowed in school except for when there is an outbreak.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
But with the huge percentage of vaccine failure, we're nowhere close to eradicating measles. Even in the year measles was declared eradicated (from the US only), there were 86 cases. And therefore, logic dictates that for the safety of our future pregnant mothers who are now little girls, we allow them to get measles. Benign childhood illness is how it was known before the vaccine. That is, benign in childhood. Why don't we take advantage of that instead of waiting for the danger of measles in adulthood?!

Benign? I don't know. talk to my daughters infectious disease doctor. she said there are plenty of patients on ventilators in their picu.
Talk to my sons pediatrician- he has 2 patients on ventilators (hopefully doing better by now, this was erev pesach)

Sebastian

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:25 pm
But with the huge percentage of vaccine failure, we're nowhere close to eradicating measles. Even in the year measles was declared eradicated (from the US only), there were 86 cases. And therefore, logic dictates that for the safety of our future pregnant mothers who are now little girls, we allow them to get measles. Benign childhood illness is how it was known before the vaccine. That is, benign in childhood. Why don't we take advantage of that instead of waiting for the danger of measles in adulthood?!

measles are not benign. they are painful and can lead to major health issues. a tiny percentage of ppl who get measles don't build immunity to it and can get it again JUST LIKE THE VACCINE.

nchr

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:26 pm
momsrus wrote:
That’s a new one.

That is very true in regards to measles. I have a detailed post addressing IgA and IgG as well as immunity to measles from the uterus. An infant's immunity to the measles is from its mother's uterus, not breast milk, as many people mistakenly believe.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:28 pm
nchr wrote:
That is very true in regards to measles. I have a detailed post addressing IgA and IgG as well as immunity to measles from the uterus. An infant's immunity to the measles is from its mother's uterus, not breast milk, as many people mistakenly believe.

And how long does that last for, in any case?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:28 pm
nchr wrote:

That makes sense. but just curious, for those saying that if the mothers would have measles then babies would be immune- till what age would that immunity last anyway?
(I'm not supposing its worth the risk, just wondering...)

Sebastian

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:29 pm

measles came back b/c ppl stopped vaccinating, vaccines didn't fail. Even with many anti vaxers not reporting their measles to the health dept, an overwhelming majority of the cases of measles were in the under/unvaccinated.

nchr

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:31 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
That makes sense. but just curious, for those saying that if the mothers would have measles then babies would be immune- till what age would that immunity last anyway?
(I'm not supposing its worth the risk, just wondering...)

The immunity starts to wane around 6 months, in both those who were born to vaccinated mothers as well as to mothers who had natural measles.
https://www.jwatch.org/pa20100.....-last

I'm not a medical professional, just a little bit of a vaccine buff, who is also very detail- and fact-oriented.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:32 pm
nchr wrote:
The immunity starts to wane around 6 months, in both those who were born to vaccinated mothers as well as to mothers who had natural measles.
https://www.jwatch.org/pa20100.....-last

I'm not a medical professional, just a little bit of a vaccine buff, who is also very detail- and fact-oriented.

Thanks.
so much for wanting to have the "real thing".

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:34 pm

I was born in '55 and never had measles but did have mumps and rubella. I was given a measles vaccine at age 12 or 13 but either it was never effective or wore off. My point is that not everyone caught measles as kids. Probably many people caught measles at dangerous points in their lives which is how we know that it is a danger at that point in life.

It doesn't appear to be totally benign at any point in life and I see that some anti-vaxers are not that eager to have their kids suffer measles and mumps. They are relying on herd immunity rather than deliberate exposure.

nchr

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I was born in '55 and never had measles but did have mumps and rubella. I was given a measles vaccine at age 12 or 13 but either it was never effective or wore off. My point is that not everyone caught measles as kids. Probably many people caught measles at dangerous points in their lives which is how we know that it is a danger at that point in life.

It doesn't appear to be totally benign at any point in life and I see that some anti-vaxers are not that eager to have their kids suffer measles and mumps. They are relying on herd immunity rather than deliberate exposure.

And honestly, measles is not a benign childhood illness. Maybe in comparison to smallpox, malaria or yellow fever, but it is not benign. 1 in 1,000 deaths. 1 in 1,000 cases of encephalitis. 30% result in complications such as ear infections, stomach upset, pneumonia. It can result in hearing loss, etc. There is a 10 year old boy in Israel with permanent brain damage as a result of the measles. How is that benign? The statistic risk is not appropriate and we know that the MMR offers lifelong protection against the measles for 97% of those given 2 doses.

Even years ago, measles did not only infect children. As I stated before, during the civil war measles killed enormous amounts of soldiers. In fact over 4,000 soldiers died of the measles in the Union Army alone (out of about 65,000 soldiers in the Union Army who had the measles).

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:43 pm
Just want to point out that a pregnant woman (or anyone) whose vaccine expired or didn't "take" is just as much unvaccinated as any other unvaccinated person.

There is a difference though, in that she at least made the effort to protect herself and others. I would not blame insurance companies if they refused to cover anti-vaxers.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:48 pm
nchr wrote:
And honestly, measles is not a benign childhood illness. Maybe in comparison to smallpox, malaria or yellow fever, but it is not benign. 1 in 1,000 deaths. 1 in 1,000 cases of encephalitis. 30% result in complications such as ear infections, stomach upset, pneumonia. It can result in hearing loss, etc. There is a 10 year old boy in Israel with permanent brain damage as a result of the measles. How is that benign? The statistic risk is not appropriate and we know that the MMR offers lifelong protection against the measles for 97% of those given 2 doses.

Even years ago, measles did not only infect children. As I stated before, during the civil war measles killed enormous amounts of soldiers. In fact over 4,000 soldiers died of the measles in the Union Army alone (out of about 65,000 soldiers in the Union Army who had the measles).

Measles also wiped out several native American tribes as the Europeans advanced west and brought the disease with them.

shoshanim999

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:17 pm
ectomorph wrote:
More important, are you really a mom of quinta?

What's interesting about these vaccine threads is that I've noticed you always seem to be there responding very early in the thread, but never once, not a single time, responding with substance. It's always mocking and belittling the op.

unexpected

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:28 pm
Also don't forget, a child whose immune system is compromised is not always diagnosed immediately at the onset of illness. There may be children in your school who are suffering from severe illness or immunity-compromising conditions and don't yet know it. For these children, measles could be fatal.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics