Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff - Aliyah and job security
Previous  1  2

2gether

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:00 am
Teaching English isn't worth it in Beis Yaakov, the field is flooded and the pay is nearly not as much.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:18 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I think the bigger problem is language fluency. My technical skills may not be an issue but I certainly don't know how to say "corrosion rate" or " weld spatter" in Hebrew and I am not exactly fluent in regular Hebrew either. It makes it much harder to get a job when you don't speak the native language fluently.

In my experience, if you know English, it is easier to get away with poor Hebrew in the tech fields.

Most people in those fields are expected to have a high level of English. Many hi-tech companies are multinational, and meetings will often by conducted in English as the lingua franca (irony noted). Also, often times technical jargon is used in English even when the rest of the simpler words are being said in Hebrew.

In fact, I think it's actually more difficult to learn Hebrew if you work in a tech field than in another field, because of the constant usage of English.

Israeli_C

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:46 am
DrMom wrote:
In my experience, if you know English, it is easier to get away with poor Hebrew in the tech fields.

Most people in those fields are expected to have a high level of English. Many hi-tech companies are multinational, and meetings will often by conducted in English as the lingua franca (irony noted). Also, often times technical jargon is used in English even when the rest of the simpler words are being said in Hebrew.

In fact, I think it's actually more difficult to learn Hebrew if you work in a tech field than in another field, because of the constant usage of English.

Yep. I found it bizarre that in DH's workplace they exchange emails among themselves in English, despite all being Israeli Hebrew speakers!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics