Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Simcha main course
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:04 am
What to put on plate with: sliced roast, potato kugel, roasted vegetables?
Some type of chicken. But my mind is blank.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:22 am
schnitzle. Grilled boneless chicken thigh. Chicken kiev. Stuffed chicken breast.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:30 am
stuffed dark chicken/capons.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:31 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
stuffed dark chicken/capons.

Is that too much?

jewishmom6

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:33 am
If its pre plated I wouldnt do chicken and meat on same plate.
I would add another side if you need to fill it up.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:56 am
Why do you need chicken and roast? Rather add another side like a fruit pie or pasta salad.

dankbar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:01 am
You can give a choice of chicken or beef, then you can have a regular slice chicken like shnitzel. If you do put both in plate than either schnitzel is full slice & little pieces beef like cubed or threaded on skewer or strips. If beef is full slice then chicken should be small like strips or on skewer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:02 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Why do you need chicken and roast? Rather add another side like a fruit pie or pasta salad.

Is Shabbos. Serving fruit cobblers at lunch. Pasta not so pretty. I’m putting two thin slices of French roast on each plate. Was t sure if was enough. Or if people would rather have chicken then so much meat.

Just want to than everyone for input. I’m reading each one even if not responding to each one.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:07 am
I find plated meals end up with a lot of waste. You can’t save anything that is on the plate, even if if wasn’t eaten from.
Platters can be done very nicely, and this way people only take what they want, and the leftovers can be saved. For example, I wouldn’t eat most of what is on the plate you mentioned. I don’t like potato kugel, I generally don’t like roast, and most people put peppers in their roasted vegetables, which I don’t like. I would much rather have platters with a few different main and side options. That way I can choose what I want, and I don’t need to waste what I don’t want.

dankbar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:15 am
For shabbos you can add another type of kugel, it can be in muffin tins as individual portions if you want to fill plate like yerushalmi, two toned lukshen kugel, 3 layered veg kugel or just broccoli muffins with a flower made from pastry bag with sweet potatatoes on top. A cherry/blueberry danish/turnover. An apple pie.

Or you can add another starchy side like farfel/couscous. Roasted red cubed potatoes.
Or a veg like sweet carrots.
These are mostly all traditional shabbos foods/or can coordinate with other shabbos foods

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What to put on plate with: sliced roast, potato kugel, roasted vegetables?
Some type of chicken. But my mind is blank.

If you want to do chicken, do shish kabob. So you're only giving a small serving -- a couple of chunks -- of chicken.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:25 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I find plated meals end up with a lot of waste. You can’t save anything that is on the plate, even if if wasn’t eaten from.
Platters can be done very nicely, and this way people only take what they want, and the leftovers can be saved. For example, I wouldn’t eat most of what is on the plate you mentioned. I don’t like potato kugel, I generally don’t like roast, and most people put peppers in their roasted vegetables, which I don’t like. I would much rather have platters with a few different main and side options. That way I can choose what I want, and I don’t need to waste what I don’t want.

Agree 100% with this. I’ve been to simchas on shabbos where each table was served family style and it was really nicely done.

dankbar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:32 am
For a fancy presentation of potato kugel you can do slice of potato kugel rollup with pastrami inside.

imamothertoo

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:32 am
Generally a Simcha is preplated. It’s neater. It’s cleaner. I find that there are always people who will use their own fork when helping themselves to their portion, or Cole slaw or pickles. Therefore I personally prefer a preplated plate. And I will only help my self to the condiments if no one else stuck their own used cutlery in.
If you want to add a chicken, I would do a grilled cutlet or a grilled dark cutlet.
BTW...is this for Friday night?

emmes

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:40 am
I would add just another side like a fruit pie, lukshen Kugel, or maybe deli roll. If you must have the chicken option, I would put chicken nuggets on a platter in center of table.

aricelli

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:44 am
dankbar wrote:
For a fancy presentation of potato kugel you can do slice of potato kugel rollup with pastrami inside.

This sounds nice. How do you do this?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:48 am
Breaded boneless chicken thigh (baby chicken/pargiyot).

For an easier pastrami potato kugel, bake individual kugels in muffin cups lined with a slice of salami before pouring batter in.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:48 am
I would also offer a choice of chicken or beef. I find not everyone eats beef. If I am doing just chicken thats fine, but if serving beef I usually have another option.

Inevitable some people will want both however.

If its friday night I think roasted chicken thighs on the bone is a good option. (better to have a saucy dish for friday night then something dry like schnitzle.)

aricelli

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
Breaded boneless chicken thigh (baby chicken/pargiyot).

For an easier pastrami potato kugel, bake individual kugels in muffin cups lined with a slice of salami before pouring batter in.

The pastramy is at the bottom only or around the sides- cup like? Also- do you pop these out or leave in holders when you serve?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:55 am
aricelli wrote:
The pastramy is at the bottom only or around the sides- cup like? Also- do you pop these out or leave in holders when you serve?

Pastrami around the sides. Holder removed.
If you're making in advance or freezing, remove the holders while cold/frozen to make removal easier and neater.
Use a good holder.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics