Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When do you set your shabbes table?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:24 am
I usually set my shabbes table Thursday morning . I put the white table clothes. Candles and silverware. Cutlery and napkins I do Thursday evening or Friday .
This morning (Thursday) dh came down and asked "what day is it ? Why is the table set?"
Told him for the last few months/year I do it Thursday morning .
My kitchen table we still use so I put white tablecloth Friday after breakfast .

I also do most of the shabbes cooking on Thursday.

Debbie

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:34 am
We don't have a kitchen table,so our dining table is usually set for Shabbos on Thursday evening in the winter;and after breakfast or early afternoon in the summer.
I usually start main cooking on Thursday and do less time consuming cooking on Friday.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:56 am
I set mine when dh is in shul friday night. Unless we have guests then I do it during the day on friday. Sometimes he comes home friday night and its not set. So he sets in then. Tablecloth is always on before shabbos. Just not all the dishes

blessedjmom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:02 am
Dining room - white table cloths gets put on Thursday day. Table gets set on Friday or fri. Night- when dh is in shul.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:35 am
Friday night before DH returns from the beit knesset and when I've finally managed to peel myself off the sofa after a long day of cooking...

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:53 am
After licht zinden.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:41 am
Doesn't your silver tarnish? I set on Friday morning and even that isn't great for the silverware.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:07 am
Dh wants the tablecloth on before chatzos. A pile of plates or the challah board set out so it won’t slide off.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:19 am
Now, it's one of dc's job set it when she gets home from school on Friday.

Then, I set it when dh came home from shul on Friday night. Because dh had to be holding that same dc, who would otherwise pull on the tablecloth and at the plates every time she walked or ran by, even if I was two place settings in front of her putting out a fork. So I set, then we immediately sat and guarded it all, including strategically placed elbows on the table.

Lakol zman va'eis.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:21 am
Dh sets it Friday afternoon. One day I'd love to be able to do it Thursday night.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:33 am
My dining room, kitchen and living room are all one big room. So it generally gets set after licht bentching.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:35 am
Definitely not on Thursday morning.
Sometimes Thursday evening.
Usually I set the table at some point on Friday.

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:47 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Doesn't your silver tarnish? I set on Friday morning and even that isn't great for the silverware.

Mine gets set Friday afternoon because I also worry about my silver tarnishing. I don't want to have it polished so often.

I cook Fridays because I like food as fresh as can be.

Sometimes I even shop on Fridays if I am not satisfied with the produce in Jewish stores.

Linens are washed on Fridays also.

About the only thing I do Thursday night is soak the beans.

My dining room is also used during the week.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:50 am
We usually set the table Thursday night. My kids love to wake up and see a set table Friday morning.
If I don't get to it Thursday night, I make a point of having the table set by friday chatzos. Dh & me do it together. My FIL sets the shabbos table every week so this is what DH is used to growing up.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:02 am
I guess I'm the only one who works on Fridays and so does my husband. Our only table is the dining room table (no eat in kitchen). I cook some of the shabbos food on Thursday night and some on Friday after work (changes depending on the time of year but even in December I work until 2:30 and get home at 3). My goal is to have the table cloth on at least before we light, but it doesn't always happen. I make very simple shabbos and prefer to go into shabbos calmly, and for me, that means no rushing and leaving the table to be set after I've sat down after lighting and relaxing for a bit. Then the kids help me set it.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:09 am
I like to set it Thursday night but it doesn’t always happen. Otherwise I set it early Friday afternoon.
In general I try to do as much on Thursday as possible and definitely not leave anything for the last 2-3 hours before Shabbos. I grew up with many last minute things happening and it always was stressful to me.

nicole81

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:11 am
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ I'm lucky when I'm not rolling in from work in the 18 minutes. Now that shabbat is coming in later, I get home about 20 minutes before candlelighting on a good day.

If I come home with time to spare before candlelighting, I throw veggies up to roast in the oven while dh strip the weekday stuff off our table and cleans it. If not, I just light and dh scrambles to take stuff off the table. It gets set by the kids during shul, or by dh and my stepson after shul is over.

We only have one table and 6 kids, who all eat every meal at the table, and a couple use it for their hw, too.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:14 am
Everything Friday because I’m off and have the time then.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:31 am
I have a toddler who loves to take all the place settings off the table, so there is no point in setting it early.
I leave a white tablecloth on all week. On Friday night after I light, I put a new clear disposable plastic tablecloth on the table and I put out the challah board and the challah tray.
Everything else is left on the kitchen counter until DH gets home from shul so that we can set the table and sit down right away before the toddler dumps it all on the floor.

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:44 am
nicole81 wrote:
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ I'm lucky when I'm not rolling in from work in the 18 minutes. Now that shabbat is coming in later, I get home about 20 minutes before candlelighting on a good day.

If I come home with time to spare before candlelighting, I throw veggies up to roast in the oven while dh strip the weekday stuff off our table and cleans it. If not, I just light and dh scrambles to take stuff off the table. It gets set by the kids during shul, or by dh and my stepson after shul is over.

We only have one table and 6 kids, who all eat every meal at the table, and a couple use it for their hw, too.

I was beginning to think that I am the only one without a dedicated Shabbos table. My dining room is used for homework, cozy reading on the couches, laundry sorting and folding, DH's paper work, my crafting.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics