Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me with destination for trip with these conditions
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:55 am
This is for a family trip in the summer. We can leave Motze Shabbos or Sunday and we must be back by Tuesday night. We live in NY (duh, where else?) We've never flown with the kids yet so we want to give them the experience of flying on an airplane. I don't want to spend a lot of money other than the tickets, so I'm looking for a destination with free or cheap attractions and cheap accommodations. We love nature, so camping is an option, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to camp someplace for two nights when we'd need a car rental; it may come out cheaper to stay in a cheap hotel walking distance to attractions or public transport.

My kids are ages toddler to pre-teen but are usually ok with almost anything we do. They look forward to our family trips.

Where should we go?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:14 am
Niagara Falls!

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:16 am
If I had 2 days I wouldn’t waste time flying. The time it takes to get to airport/check in/security is not worth your precious time

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:44 am
Tons of stuff in Washington DC is free so that could work for your budget. We had a great tome there a few years ago.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:47 am
Flying will waste to much of your time and energy for just a 2 day trip. It doesn't pay.
Niagara is a nice family trip. DC is boring for little ones.
Philadelphia or the Poconos can be nice.
New Hampshire, Vermont, Lancaster.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:49 am
If u specifically want to fly, you can do Florida or Virginia Beach. I wouldn't fly further than that for two days.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:38 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Niagara Falls!

BTDT already!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:38 am
pesek zman wrote:
If I had 2 days I wouldn’t waste time flying. The time it takes to get to airport/check in/security is not worth your precious time

Honestly I want the main experience of this trip to be the flying. My kids have never flown. It'll be fascinating for them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
If u specifically want to fly, you can do Florida or Virginia Beach. I wouldn't fly further than that for two days.

Can anyone tell me more about either of these places as far as cheap accommodations and attractions?

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:43 am
So look for destinations a 2hr flight away then look for the cheapest. Then look for attractions. Anywhere with a decent airport should have some reasonable attractions.
Do you need a daily minyan?

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:45 am
Look into Myrtle Beach

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:48 am
OP, I don't think flying be so fascinating for the kids if most of the time away is spent in the airport or flying. They might get antsy and bored, especially the little kids.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:48 am
Flying with kids really isn't so magical. Especially in the summer heat & humidity and with the crush of summer vacationers.
Long airport lines, running to catch flights, nasty security people, traffic to & from airports, delays in flight times, air sickness, turbulence, etc. crowded noisey flights, crying kids on board....

That's not even considering your kids might get cranky, hungry, tired, bored, cramped, have ear pain from the pressure etc.
It can very easily ruin the trip op since most of your time will be spent traveling.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:01 am
Chicago and Atlanta are only 2 hour flights.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:02 am
Iymnok wrote:
So look for destinations a 2hr flight away then look for the cheapest. Then look for attractions. Anywhere with a decent airport should have some reasonable attractions.
Do you need a daily minyan?

I don't need minyan although it's preferable.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:05 am
I agree that it's not wise to fly for such a short trip. But if that's your goal, what I would do is you fly with the kids to Boston, and have DH drive and pick you up from the airport to save on rental car cost. Then go to Onset, about an hour from the airport, where there's a minyan.

Try to find a cheap AirBNB within driving distance of the shul, and you can easily spend a couple days there entertaining the kids without spending a penny (other than gas). Take the free (kosher) Cape Cod potato chip factory tour, with free tasting at the end. Drive around and find an empty beach (easy to do) to play in the sand and waves and maybe fly a kite.

You could "splurge" and let them go to one of the many mini golf or go-kart places that are all around the Cape. You could even save money by driving home and not having to pay for a return flight, unless you want them to fly again.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:07 am
OP, you should also be aware that short flight like to Niagara, DC, Boston... are by airbus and the planes don't go as high altitude as a regular flight thus causing terrible ear pressure/pain. It's really not that exciting.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:08 am
Smaller p, more out of the way airports can be easier to go through. You will likely end up with a smaller plane.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:09 am
I think St. Louis has free things to do and is affordable

Raisin

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:14 am
thats a great idea from Doctorima. To add to that it might be hard finding a flight motzei shabbos so I would drive sunday morning or motzei shabbos (kids can sleep while driving - pack pillows and blankets) and fly back.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics