Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is a “luxury” you can’t live without?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 7:51 pm
High-speed internet. I can't go back!
High-end laptop. Not top-of-the-line, but definitely a luxury! But I can't imagine giving it up.
Dishwasher. Dishwasher, I LOVE you! I thank Hashem for it like every time I load it!
Amazon Music. I NEED music to get me motivated when there's stuff I have to do but don't enjoy. I should have a sign on my Shabbos table: "This Shabbos brought to you by Amazon Music!"
Good quality black tights. Can't wear ones that feel flimsy or "icky."

Things I would consider luxuries that I can't live without, but happen to be living without anyhow:
Dryer.
Car.
Car big enough to fit all of us.
Cleaning help.
Babysitting.
Underwear without holes. (Yes, I know you can get a package for ten bucks, but it has to outweigh something else on the urgency list, and it just isn't doing that!)

I consider running water and electricity and heat and air conditioning and refrigerators a necessity, though I've been lacking each of them for periods of time LOL - Baruch Hashem not for too long and not all at the same time!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:00 pm
Extra cars
My own bathroom
Multiple guest rooms
Indoor sukkah
Pesach kitchen

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:07 pm
Hug me ye huggers!

Ferragamo shoes.so expensive. Doesn't even last longer than any standard decent-quality pair.

But they are comfortable on my tired, swollen feet, without the comfort shoe look.

STR331

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:10 pm
I have a great deal on those. 1800 contacts has a thing that if u subscribe you get 30 sent to u and u get charged 45 dollars a month so u never run out
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Cleaning help
Once every two weeks
Disposable contact lenses

allthingsblue

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Hug me ye huggers!

Ferragamo shoes.so expensive. Doesn't even last longer than any standard decent-quality pair.

But they are comfortable on my tired, swollen feet, without the comfort shoe look.

I won't hug you, I understand you - I am just offering other options, as a fellow woman who seeks comfortable yet stylish footwear. I have had luck over the years at Aerosoles, Nine West, Coach, Cole Haan, San Edelman. All a lot more affordable than Ferragamo. Have you tried these brands?

Water Stones

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:34 pm
Cold air conditioner in the spring and the summer.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:44 pm
Cleaning help. If I could afford I’d take her every single day.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:57 pm
I feel like the only person without cleaning help!

I do general tidying and my husband usually does the real cleaning. And sometimes it doesn't happen as often as it should TMI We recently looked into getting a little bit of cleaning help, for the heavier cleaning. But I work the whole day and couldn't find anyone available during the hours that I'm home Sad

We definitely spend money on conveniences, though, like disposables and some take-out food.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

I do general tidying and my husband usually does the real cleaning. And sometimes it doesn't happen as often as it should TMI We recently looked into getting a little bit of cleaning help, for the heavier cleaning. But I work the whole day and couldn't find anyone available during the hours that I'm home Sad

We definitely spend money on conveniences, though, like disposables and some take-out food.

My husband doesn't help at all and never will.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 9:05 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

No, I had periods without cleaning help, including now. The truth is that for a stretch of about 8 years I had consistent cleaning help. And if you had asked me then, I would have said it's something I absolutely can't live without. Well, when it came time that I had to do without, I was actually fine. So there you go. But yeah, for some people it truly is crucial.

Rappel

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 9:17 pm
Metukah wrote:
That sounds hard, especially in todays day and age. Care to share how that happened?

That's easy: ours broke, and we couldn't replace it for 8 months. We also lived 2.5 kilometers from the nearest makolet (no car, obviously, and it was a mountain hike), so it put a whole new meaning on shelf stable.I remember I wouldn't buy potatoes or orange juice or anything heavy, because it was simply diminishing returns by the time I'd lugged it back home. Thankfully, we had no children at the time, so we basically went pure vegan and made do - though I probably will never be vegan and pregnant again. I was HUNGRY.

Right now, our refrigerator has been playing games since Pesach, and we're supposed to replace it today. I'm so thankful that we have the ability to do so. Chasdei Hashem!

Israeli_C

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 9:59 pm
I had cleaning help every Friday morning for 3 hours but recently she went back to Russia and I've been on my own. Shabbat prep has become a lot more stressful, I totally understand the Imas who love their help.

My luxury- I got a phone plan which allows me to ring my parents abroad for free. I ring my mom every day bang on the dot 11am and it's a breath of fresh air. Funnily, we used to have a terrible relationship and when I got married went through a period of not being in touch at all, but things have improved a lot since I had kids.

Another essential 'luxury' - my twins' bouncy chairs (trampolinot in Hebrew)

Also - my 3 and 2 year olds' gan and daycare. The 2 year old is in til 1.30pm every day and it gives me time to breathe, eat, shower, be a normal person!!

And finally - weekly home deliveries from Rami Levi. So I don't have to drag things home by myself. Saved my life!

Last edited by Israeli_C on Sat, May 11 2019, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 10:01 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Botox and filler

Why is she getting hugged?

Just because you think it's shallow to pay to reduce signs of aging?

I'm looking into this now. Said under my screen name.

Also, I'll join the cleaning help bandwagon. I have 6 hours of help weekly, and work full time. She saves my sanity.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Mani pedi
Starbucks
Subscription to kiwico

What's kiwico?

Emotional

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 10:32 pm
[quote="amother [ Lime ]"
Good quality black tights. Can't wear ones that feel flimsy or "icky."
[/quote]
What good quality brand do you recommend?

forgetit

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 10:40 pm
pause wrote:
She didn't want to get started again on the topic of the longest thread ever in Imamother history.

What IS the longest thread here?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 10:46 pm
Tampons with plastic applicator.

Metukah

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 11:00 pm
Rappel wrote:
That's easy: ours broke, and we couldn't replace it for 8 months. We also lived 2.5 kilometers from the nearest makolet (no car, obviously, and it was a mountain hike), so it put a whole new meaning on shelf stable.I remember I wouldn't buy potatoes or orange juice or anything heavy, because it was simply diminishing returns by the time I'd lugged it back home. Thankfully, we had no children at the time, so we basically went pure vegan and made do - though I probably will never be vegan and pregnant again. I was HUNGRY.

Right now, our refrigerator has been playing games since Pesach, and we're supposed to replace it today. I'm so thankful that we have the ability to do so. Chasdei Hashem!

Oh wow. Gives a new appreciation for the things we take for granted.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Tampons with plastic applicator.

I consider those a guilty pleasure.

grace413

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:16 am
Cleaning help
Disposables (for milchig)
Dishwasher (for fleishig)
Car