Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is a “luxury” you can’t live without?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:24 am
Ready made sandwiches for work. I've been trying to cut down and prepare my own at home. I don't know why it's so hard for me but more often than not I don't end up preparin and end up having to buy one.

(posting anonymously because I'm embarrassed that I'm up so late Smile )

2gether

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:44 am
I thought more people would mention dry-cleaning, just saying.

Israeli_C

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 4:52 am
2gether wrote:

Yes!
I think we've all gotten so spoiled that we've forgotten what's a luxury lol.
Although with DH's sirtuk there's no choice but to dry clean.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:03 am
giselle wrote:
For me it’s cleaning help. Even at times that we were struggling, I cut down on groceries (obviously we didn’t go hungry) so that I could keep some cleaning help (which I had to cut down on as well at one point - but I need at least some help.)

I find it interesting how some posters spend on other things I’d consider luxuries, but go without cleaning help, which I can’t imagine! Interested in hearing what others feel they just can’t live without, even when things are tight.

No matter how much money I would earn I wouldn't want cleaning help. I hate to have a stranger in my house touching our things. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't stand the idea.
My mom always had a cleaning lady and I remember how the cleaning lady broke a vase which my mom inherited from her great grandmother and my mother was crying and crying and maybe that's why I'll never have one. I'd probably stand behind her at all times lol so it wouldn't be helping me at all.

My luxury is Netflix and Spotify , I wouldn't want to miss those 2. And obviously my kids LOL they're definitely my luxury, expensive but so worth it

DVOM

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:35 am
One day a week I work half a day and have the other half of the workday home alone by myself as my kids are still in school. I feel like it keeps me sane all week long.

Pure maple syrup. Expensive, but so good!

Time alone in bed each morning before my kids wake up. I usually go to sleep pretty early and wake up around 5 to make sure that this happens and I'm a real grouch if it doesn't (I'm spotting a theme here...Smile

A steady supply of books from the library. This is not a financial luxury, but a time luxury. I prioritize weekly library runs. Actually, I think most of my luxuries are time luxuries. I guess time is my most precious, finite commodity these days.

Occasional manicures and pedicures. It's not weekly or even monthly, but when the mood strikes, I go. It makes me feel so ladylike. When not budgeting for this, I take the time to do my nails myself.

byisrael

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:35 am
A/C without cheshbon - if I'm hot it's on !

I become a grouch when I'm hot - I would literally prefer to live on beans and rice (bh thats not the case) then budget the a/c (we are in israel and it gets HOT - and the a/c racks up the electric bill....

ectomorph

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:14 am
2gether wrote:
I don't use dry cleaning... Now they even make men's shirts you can wash

simba

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:30 am
I buy breakfast from a cafe on workdays. Getting out of the house is hard but eating breakfast is impossible. Fits half hr of my day is quite in the office with my coffee and a normal breakfast as I clean up last nights emails.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:37 am
ectomorph wrote:
I don't use dry cleaning... Now they even make men's shirts you can wash

Yeah but some stains don't come out in the wash

Sleek

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:47 am
Big windows and sunshine!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:48 am
Jockey underwear

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:03 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
My camera. I'd give up anything before that. I already gave up cleaning help, reading material, eating out, we walk everywhere, and probably more things I am not thinking of right now. But I cannot possible live without my ($4,000+) camera and lenses.

I'm impressed!
That is so eye opening.
I might have seen you and thought, "how irresponsible spending $4000 on a camera yet struggles for basics" yet you are careful, have priorities and are giving up luxuries not basics.
You must be passionate about pictures.
This got me thinking, I love pictures but wouldn't let myself get those fabulous cameras. It's not a waste if I love them so much.
I wouldn't even have to give up the other luxuries.

Which camera would you recommend?

Zehava

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:17 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
No matter how much money I would earn I wouldn't want cleaning help. I hate to have a stranger in my house touching our things. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't stand the idea.
My mom always had a cleaning lady and I remember how the cleaning lady broke a vase which my mom inherited from her great grandmother and my mother was crying and crying and maybe that's why I'll never have one. I'd probably stand behind her at all times lol so it wouldn't be helping me at all.

My luxury is Netflix and Spotify , I wouldn't want to miss those 2. And obviously my kids LOL they're definitely my luxury, expensive but so worth it

My kids have broken more vases than I can count. Expensive breakables scare me. Be glad it was the cleaning lady and not you who broke that vase.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:23 am
Zehava wrote:
My kids have broken more vases than I can count. Expensive breakables scare me. Be glad it was the cleaning lady and not you who broke that vase.

You're right. My mom had to flee her home country and those few things she smuggled out were so important to her. Maybe too important.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:26 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I'm impressed!
That is so eye opening.
I might have seen you and thought, "how irresponsible spending $4000 on a camera yet struggles for basics" yet you are careful, have priorities and are giving up luxuries not basics.
You must be passionate about pictures.
This got me thinking, I love pictures but wouldn't let myself get those fabulous cameras. It's not a waste if I love them so much.
I wouldn't even have to give up the other luxuries.

Which camera would you recommend?

If you see me with my camera and aren't in the line you wouldn't know how much it costed, so I don't get judged outside. Also, I work to fund my hobby. Whatever extra I earn is a bonus.

I can't recommend cameras because everyone has different needs. You can search around for best DSLRs and ortrait lenses. They each run in the 1-3k range.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:32 am
I had someone make Shabbos for us and it was amazing. She grocery shopped and prepared everything and offered to cook weekday meals and put them in the freezer. She’s no fancy, shmancy chef. Just a heimish lady from BP cooking her own recipes (but said she would make whatever we wanted). So I think this is the luxury I won’t be able to live without. I HATE cooking and will gladly pay someone to cook for us.

Israeli_C

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:35 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
You're right. My mom had to flee her home country and those few things she smuggled out were so important to her. Maybe too important.

That's really the test of what possessions you can't do without. When I packed to make aliyah, it really gave me some perspective about what I could't live without.

aricelli

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:39 am
Btw- re cameras, sometimes a “cheaper” one can be even better than a more expensive one. We werent so happy with our canon slr and feel our high end sony is better. (And it was way less than our canon) We added a great lens to it and my dd whos into this is loving it.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:10 am
A laptop and an Internet connection. I could go without a smartphone, I didn't even get one until a few years ago, but it would be super inconvenient. But I work online, and I have friends online, and I also still have an American library card and all my books are in ebook format.

In theory, I'd love to be chareidi enough to go Internet free at home, but it's not going to happen.

Emotional

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:21 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I had someone make Shabbos for us and it was amazing. She grocery shopped and prepared everything and offered to cook weekday meals and put them in the freezer. She’s no fancy, shmancy chef. Just a heimish lady from BP cooking her own recipes (but said she would make whatever we wanted). So I think this is the luxury I won’t be able to live without. I HATE cooking and will gladly pay someone to cook for us.

She makes an entire shabbos for you? What does she charge for such a service? Just curious.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics