Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Special fondness of first son in law

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:07 pm
I read that mothers have a unique fondness of their first son in law. I’ve seen this a few times. Although it’s not the rule I’m curious if anyone saw it as well

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:14 pm
Not at all. I think it depends on who he is and the fondness between mother and daughter.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:15 pm
Yes! I thought it was because my DH is extra special. I didn't know that it's a thing. My siblings tease my mother that my DH is her "pet"...she turns the world upside down for him for the last 19 years . She has done things for him that we begged her to do but only HE had the honor of having her do it for him. That's so funny.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:24 pm
I married a doctor they think he is q-d
My dear mother said you wouldn’t be anything without him Mad Mad Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:28 pm
My parents have 5 son's in law, DH is the oldest. If something they "like" the younger ones more than DH.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:33 pm
I have three siblings married. I am married almost ten years. Next one married almost three and next two married one year. My parents both have an extremely close relationship to dh and he is ttly like a brother to my siblings. I don't know what my parents relationship will be with other SIL in ten years though....

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:55 pm
My parents definitely show a preference for their oldest son in law, but in their case it may be that he has a certain image that brings out their pride. Whereas the other sons in law don't necessarily fit that image as well, despite being wonderful people.

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:57 pm
My parents definitely do lol (even though they try to deny it).

Poor DH and the rest.

paperflowers

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:58 pm
My oldest sister got married when I was 14. Her husband has just been part of our family for so long. My siblings and I grew up with him much more than with my husband. That being said, I don’t think my mother or anyone else is any fonder of my brother in law than of my husband.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:48 pm
Is it the same with a mother n law towards the oldest daughter in law?
I'm the oldest daughtet n law, I was the only one for afew years. My MIL tells me that I'll always have a special place in her heart.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:09 pm
My DH is my parents oldest son in law. Were married almost 6 years . There are 2 others who came after him. They dont show any preference...
(Babypink- hes a med student)

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:27 pm
Maybe it just seems that way often because the first has been around the longest and maybe they know him the best?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:55 pm
When my sister got married my parents were so scared that she wouldn't visit often so they went out of their way to cater to BIL so he would feel at home and want to come visit. I didn’t get married until 15 years later so obviously they have a close relationship with BIL that goes back so much longer than with DH.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:00 am
My husband is the first silly, and while I don't know if my husband is the 'favorite', she is definitely the most comfortable with him. Which usually translates to her asking him for help (shleping/errands) way more than her other son in laws. She actually probably pampers the other sils more because she is less secure in their relationships. They have a very easy relationship and I think my mother views him more as a son than a sil. I'm not sure if it's because he is the first though. The others followed soon after. It's both their personalities. My mother is a simple lady and my husband has zero expectations of her. Another contributing factor is that over the years my husband has become somewhat estranged from his parents and he kind of adopted my parents as his own, and they fully accepted him as a son.

Metukah

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 2:07 am
My parents definitely don't have a soft spot for their oldest son in law (or dil for that matter). In fact, they feel way more comfortable with the younger sons in law who came 14 to 25 years after the first.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:12 am
Metukah wrote:
My parents definitely don't have a soft spot for their oldest son in law (or dil for that matter). In fact, they feel way more comfortable with the younger sons in law who came 14 to 25 years after the first.

And my in-laws definitely learned from their "mistake" (in accepting me into the family) and took subsequent daughters-in-law whom they feel enhance their image🙄 Rolling Eyes

amother
Wine

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:57 am
Not that I have noticed. My oldest sister had a very bitter divorce so he is certainly not the favourite. The next one tends to hang out with his side of the family more often. Number 3 is probably the favourite. I think my parents like going to my 3rd sister the best. But she really is married to a very very nice guy. But they also live one of the closest to my parents so that is also a factor.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:52 am
I hope to have a special fondness for my first sil because he will be my only Smile . I only have 1 dd and a bunch of ds's.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics