Home

Parenting an Asperger's type 11 year old
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Crimson

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 8:15 pm
No
Im near Monsey
I do all of this.
Except floor time
I have no clue what it is though I've heard of it
He's 12 if that makes a difference

amother

Forestgreen

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 9:45 pm
OP have you ever looked into pandas as a root cause of your child’s symptoms? The fixations and special interests are identical to what a lot of pandas parents are seeing as ocd in their children. Ditto the grammar policing. Depression is common in pandas especially as they get closer to puberty.

amother

Cerulean

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 9:57 pm
Also, as a parent, don't ever make him feel like there's something wrong with him. Let him be himself! If he has friends with the same interests, it's great because often with HFA they have difficulty socially like you described.
Lots of people don't like sports and that's okay.
A summer camp that has a robotics program might be interesting for someone that likes computers and he can find like minded people. But if he doesn't want to go it's also not a big deal, I wasn't very fond of camps either.

powerofplay

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 2:22 pm
You can learn more about DIR/Floortime on Profectum.org . Obviously, treatment will look different for a 12 year old but the principals remain the same : looking to build rich, joyful interpersonal relationships, communication and build logical, emotional, and nuanced thinking . This is a major undertaking but the goal is to fill in the building blocks that are weak developmentally, by mobilizing strengths . He may also benefit from some of the work of Michelle Garcia - Winner , Social Learning . Good luck !
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven