Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What do you buy at Aldi?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 10:34 pm
Lol
Sounds about right 😂

abs

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 10:40 pm
Eggs are usually a good price there. But the price fluctuates, so be careful.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 10:50 pm
I used to shop at aldis but stopped because it’s German owned.

I loved:
Fruits and veggies - summer fruits are so cheap.
Cereal
Granola
Canned goods (tomato sauce...)
Chips
Pasta

I used to do my entire Purim mishloach manos there based on sales. Like pint cherry tomatoes and bag baby carrots for $1 total.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:37 pm
Cereal, chips, sandwich cookies, Graham crackers, snackers, pretzels-bag and rods, flour, brown sugar, confectionery sugar, fries (although last I was there some of the packaging changed and didn't have a hechsher anymore), hot dog and burger buns, popsicles
Their seasonal section is always fun too, you never know what you will find.
A couple things to be aware of though- you need a quarter to get a wagon but you get it back when you getting it. Also, they don't give shopping bags but you can buy some there for a few cents if you want.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:40 am
It is German owned, BUT (and I can't verify this) I read some article stating that the owners are from the Germans who are very embarrassed by the Holocaust and they specifically try to have a lot of kosher products as their way of making up to the Jewish community.
Also, it's the same family of owners as Trader Joe's (started by brothers or something like that).

Regarding Kadhrus, you have to be very very careful and check the packages every single time. The iceberg lettuce mentioned here, for example, lost it's OK about a month ago. It now is coming from a Mexican plant and it is not certified. I'm hoping, and assume, it will get it certification back at some point. Because most of their items fluctuate like that. A bunch of the cereals lost certification as well very recently, FYI.

Personally, we shop there 1-2 times weekly and get practically all our grocery items there. I don't always find the produce to be so low priced, we have a vegetable store that is at least competitive, and often better priced, so I price compare each week.
Everything else there is basically the lowest prices you find around. it's all generic brands, but their brand is pretty comparable to name brands in my opinion.
I also love the random finds. Often just when I think I really need to buy a certain item they have it on the shelf that week! Happened recently with a garbage can. I also some frying pans from them that I love, etc...

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:46 am
It looks like an Aldi's is opening on Route 59 in Nanuet. It may be possible to see the weekly ads online. I have found cheap K-cups there in addition to other groceries.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:22 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
It is German owned, BUT (and I can't verify this) I read some article stating that the owners are from the Germans who are very embarrassed by the Holocaust and they specifically try to have a lot of kosher products as their way of making up to the Jewish community.
Also, it's the same family of owners as Trader Joe's (started by brothers or something like that).

Regarding Kadhrus, you have to be very very careful and check the packages every single time. The iceberg lettuce mentioned here, for example, lost it's OK about a month ago. It now is coming from a Mexican plant and it is not certified. I'm hoping, and assume, it will get it certification back at some point. Because most of their items fluctuate like that. A bunch of the cereals lost certification as well very recently, FYI.

Personally, we shop there 1-2 times weekly and get practically all our grocery items there. I don't always find the produce to be so low priced, we have a vegetable store that is at least competitive, and often better priced, so I price compare each week.
Everything else there is basically the lowest prices you find around. it's all generic brands, but their brand is pretty comparable to name brands in my opinion.
I also love the random finds. Often just when I think I really need to buy a certain item they have it on the shelf that week! Happened recently with a garbage can. I also some frying pans from them that I love, etc...

I’d love to see that article...

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:35 am
Frozen brocolli and frozen brussel sprouts with hechsher.
Seasoned mozzarella cheese braids ou-d
Protein bars, veggy straws, detergent

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:39 am
Where are they located??

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Where are they located??

All over

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:53 am
super cheap produce. thats it. Cereal is cheap too.
most things not cholov/pas yisroel.

Go on instacart and check them out. Then check out Food Bazzare. SUPER cheap rock bottom prices and worth it!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:54 am
naomi2 wrote:

Cool what hechsher is on the brussel sprouts? They dont have great pics so didnt buy. Always check things. The 1 non produce thing I bought had hechsher pictured but item didnt - likley just because they brought in a run that didnt have hashgacha.(three bean salad)

finprof

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:01 am
Different locations have different heckshers even though the packaging looks the same. In IL the friendly farms yogurt is OU-D but in PA its not kosher

ny21

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:04 am
I buy toilet paper and greeting cards

ladYdI

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:08 am
Where in brooklyn?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:12 am
naomi2 wrote:

If you're talking about the mk hechsher on the frozen products, be aware that it's not the mk from Montreal or Manchester. There have been several kashrus alerts about this. The produce is not checked for bugs.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:40 am
I do not buy their dairy products since we only eat cholov yisroel but it’s still worth it for me for the other items.

dovebird

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 11:20 am
ladYdI wrote:
Where in brooklyn?

Norstrand and Y

saralem

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 11:44 am
The chocolate babka is amazing, and according to someone in my community who checked it out, pas yisroel. I buy a ton of stuff there: almonds, cashews (best quality and best price around), oats, fresh salmon, lots of organic fruits and vegetables--great quality and price, all paper goods, cleaning supplies, cat litter (!), almond milk, super cheap tuna, eggs, maple syrup, potato and veggie chips--have to watch the changing hechsherim, and more.
best of all, though, is the babka!

jflower

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:03 pm
ladYdI wrote:
Where in brooklyn?

There's an Aldi in the Gateway Center/ Erskine Mall (exit 15 off the Belt Pkwy.} It's in the newer section behind Target. I'm going to check it out. When it first opened, it had very few kosher products but from what I'm reading it might be worthwhile to try again.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics