Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tired of chumras. No laundry on rosh chodesh?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:22 am
My neighbor just told me no laundry on rosh chodesh. It's considered "work". What??? Why are there so many chumros some take on? Is this really what hashem wants? Why would anyone think that? And if we say we don't do work on rosh chodesh, why do all those who have jobs go into work on rosh chodesh?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:30 am
The chumra involves household work not financial loss. Learn more about it before forming an opinion. My MIL put the laundry in and her DH turned it on. (She had many children)

Today I am doing laundry because will be leaving out of town and need it. I don’t usually.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:31 am
Women don’t do laundry or sew. I’d like to know what is considered "doing laundry".

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:32 am
It's the first time I'm hearing you can't do laundry on Rosh chodesh.
I did hear though that we shouldn't do mending.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:34 am
I always find it strange that you can't do laundry on chol hamoed because it's too much work and you can't do laundry during the nine days because it brings too much joy!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:35 am
Listen, it's only something if you accepted it upon yourself. My mother never had this thing and neither do I. I do have siblings that accepted upon themselves not to do laundry on Rosh Chodesh.
It's totally self initiated minhag, not a chumrah.
I think some people have pressure to join this minhag depending on which neighborhood you live in. I have a dryer so no one would know if I wash my laundry or not. Those that hang their laundry to dry on the line have this pressure.
Sewing, I believe is a strong minhag that women in general accepted upon themselves. that's why I don't sew, I don't think I have a choice in the matter. Just like hearing shofar. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:36 am
simcha2 wrote:
I always find it strange that you can't do laundry on chol hamoed because it's too much work and you can't do laundry during the nine days because it brings too much joy!

I don't think the reason is the joy. The reason why we refrain from doing laundry in the 9 days is so that we can focus on the tragedy of those days. We shouldn't be busy with laundry as this takes away from that. Nothing to do with joy as far as I know.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:38 am
There are many opinions on the matter

https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....desh/

https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....desh/

If you have small children or really need clean clothes for yourself, there’s no problem doing it.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:39 am
Oh oops

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:40 am
simcha2 wrote:

It’s not about the laundry bringing joy, it’s about wearing clean clothes.

keym

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:40 am
There are 2 aspects to Rosh Chodesh.
1 is that it's a bit of a yom tov. There are minhagim to wear shabbos clothing or nicer stuff, serve nicer food and treats.
A 2nd piece is as a reward to the women for refusing to get involved in the Eigel Hazahav, we were given Rosh Chodesh to be a moed like Chol Hamoed or Chanuka after lighting the candles in which we refrain from laundry, ironing, and sewing.
Different rabbis hold differently about whether it's a minhag, a chumra, a neder and how strong to take it. Also doing something that you enjoy like sewing or knitting or embroidery may be different than laundry.
Personally, my rav says I shouldn't do laundry- have my husband or sons put in and transfer the loads, but I can fold. But if I'm really stuck, I could.
But AYLOR.
I love Rosh Chodesh. I try to see it as a bit of a vacation, and I try to think about the strength of the women in the midbar who stood up to the men and refused to give their jewelery. I try to use Rosh Chodesh as a bit of a cheshbon time to rethink my decisions and choices. Am I leading myself and my family in the proper way or do I need to reevaluate.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:47 am
keym wrote:
I love Rosh Chodesh. I try to see it as a bit of a vacation, and I try to think about the strength of the women in the midbar who stood up to the men and refused to give their jewelery. I try to use Rosh Chodesh as a bit of a cheshbon time to rethink my decisions and choices. Am I leading myself and my family in the proper way or do I need to reevaluate.

I think this is beautiful.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:48 am
It's not a chumrah, it's a minhag. It was something *some* women took upon themselves and passed down to the daughters (different from the usual minhagim that get passed by the man). It probably depends on where the woman's family originated from. It actually is minhag in my family, my background is German.
However if I really need to do laundry I will. It's not like Chol Hamoed or the 9 days. Also, the minhag does not apply to men so feel free to have a husband or son etc do the laundry for you!
I actually never met anyone who has this same minhag, so it's interesting to read about it here.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:03 am
egam wrote:
It’s not about the laundry bringing joy, it’s about wearing clean clothes.

Yes, I know that. But the irony of sadness and joy bringing you to the same place amuses me.

saralem

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:04 am
I also have this minhag. BT Chabad. I also have the same minhag for motzei Shabbos.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:07 am
keym wrote:
There are 2 aspects to Rosh Chodesh.
1 is that it's a bit of a yom tov. There are minhagim to wear shabbos clothing or nicer stuff, serve nicer food and treats.
A 2nd piece is as a reward to the women for refusing to get involved in the Eigel Hazahav, we were given Rosh Chodesh to be a moed like Chol Hamoed or Chanuka after lighting the candles in which we refrain from laundry, ironing, and sewing.
Different rabbis hold differently about whether it's a minhag, a chumra, a neder and how strong to take it. Also doing something that you enjoy like sewing or knitting or embroidery may be different than laundry.
Personally, my rav says I shouldn't do laundry- have my husband or sons put in and transfer the loads, but I can fold. But if I'm really stuck, I could.
But AYLOR.

LOL that its less work to get your husband or son to do this then do it yourself.

Obviously this minhag originated at a time when laundry was really hard labour.

I think a more real minhag nowadays would be to take some quality time for yourself. Smile Have the men cook supper. Something real like that.

I do try and keep this laundry minhag. Its not difficult if you plan in advance. I usually do laundry early in the week so its not an issue this month.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:07 am
I’m chassidish. (Almost 40 years old) and this is the very first time I’m hearing about such a chumrah!!!!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:12 am
Not a chumrah!
Btw, the women in my family have the same minhag for motzei shabbos, like a previous poster mentioned

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:33 am
Refraining from laundry is not our minhag. We do have a tradition to try not to mend on R"C. But the choice is ultimately yours OP. The minhag is based on celebrating women and giving them a break. It's not meant to make things harder.

yerushamama

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:34 am
I was told that I should have my daughters do the laundry, or set up the load and have anyone else turn it on. It's just one more thing to remember about on Rosh Chodesh, and a great excuse to teach the kids how to do laundry! Very Happy
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics