Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Leggings
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:42 am
Agree with you orchid. But talking about the yeshivish world (which is my personal experience) denim skirts can look very nice and put together, plenty of women in my community will wear with stockings and flats, they look quite refined and modest. Especially nowadays when they can be made with spandex, so they are not tight, no slit in the back, no jeans look etc, you can get in an a line shape etc. I still think a lot of the administration is stuck in the past or just have a knee jerk reaction to certain things. Instead of taking the time to think about it and reasoning it out.

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:14 pm
4Sisters wrote:
But it really DOES say something about their level. I live in the same city as you, Frantic Frummie, and NO Bais Yaakov here says in their takanon that a girl may wear leggings under a skirt. (Actually even in my US "OOT" city, the girls at BY were not allowed to wear leggings).

OOT (not Israel) Not allowed to wear leggings outside of school or just in school? Because OOT generally does not dictate out ot school standards.

sub

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:16 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Agree with you orchid. But talking about the yeshivish world (which is my personal experience) denim skirts can look very nice and put together, plenty of women in my community will wear with stockings and flats, they look quite refined and modest. Especially nowadays when they can be made with spandex, so they are not tight, no slit in the back, no jeans look etc, you can get in an a line shape etc. I still think a lot of the administration is stuck in the past or just have a knee jerk reaction to certain things. Instead of taking the time to think about it and reasoning it out.

So true.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:19 pm
Denim is actually the perfect fabric for tznius: opaque, not clingy, yet comfortable and durable.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:25 pm

This post, especially the bolded, is worth reading twice.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:26 pm
chestnut wrote:
Um, so when the world themselves wear leggings with skirts or tunics or t-shirts, they think it's ok, but when Jews do, THEY think it's not classy.
I seriously doubt the world is thinking this much into what Jews wear, despite what you were taught

You have no idea what I was taught.

And yes I think people make judgments based on appearances. I know they do.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:36 pm
Just curious, what judgement would be made about someone wearing leggings? Can you explain your statement?

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:39 pm
What a sad thread. Spoken as a yeshivish woman, who personally does not wear leggings, but has enough common sense not to think twice about people who do, in terms of frumkeit.

This is exactly why I keep longing to raise my kids off the grid. The possibility that this kind of mindset might seep into my childrens' brains frightens the kishkas out of me like you have no idea.

ENOUGH. enough with the "looks", enough with the "standards" ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH with the idea that other people will judge you by what you wear, even if its halachicly tzniusdik.

You wear what is right in the eyes of Hashem. Dress with tznius, according to how your Rav paskins is halacha, and you're absolutely fine.

Focus more on bridging the gapS among klal yisroel, work on our ahavas yisroel. Focus on whats actually important and the reason why the Bais Hamikdash has still not been rebuilt, instead of falling into the yetzer haras trap of dwelling on insignificant details.
Leggings, nail polish, shaitels, earrings....the yetzer hara is full of distractions.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:52 pm
Just curious, what judgement would be made about someone wearing leggings? Can you explain your statement?

how about - that looks so funny - wearing a skirt over pants. Why don't they just wear pants?

chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:00 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
You have no idea what I was taught.

And yes I think people make judgments based on appearances. I know they do.

People most certainly do. So, again, why would the world think of Jews who wear leggings as not classy?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:03 pm
chestnut wrote:
People most certainly do. So, again, why would the world think of Jews who wear leggings as not classy?

See above - and I'll add to it - "sloppy".

Why do the BY schools have rules about how the girls dress outside of school? Or how their mothers dress?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:05 pm
So are you referring to frum people or secular society thinking that? Cuz I assure you, secular society is making more judgements on people wearing long sleeves and stockings in the summer heat. So? That doesn't hold us back.
And they probably think women look sloppy wearing snoods....or men with tzitzis hanging out. Or bushy beards.

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:06 pm
little neshamala wrote:
What a sad thread. Spoken as a yeshivish woman, who personally does not wear leggings, but has enough common sense not to think twice about people who do, in terms of frumkeit.

This is exactly why I keep longing to raise my kids off the grid. The possibility that this kind of mindset might seep into my childrens' brains frightens the kishkas out of me like you have no idea.

ENOUGH. enough with the "looks", enough with the "standards" ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH with the idea that other people will judge you by what you wear, even if its halachicly tzniusdik.

You wear what is right in the eyes of Hashem. Dress with tznius, according to how your Rav paskins is halacha, and you're absolutely fine.

Focus more on bridging the gapS among klal yisroel, work on our ahavas yisroel. Focus on whats actually important and the reason why the Bais Hamikdash has still not been rebuilt, instead of falling into the yetzer haras trap of dwelling on insignificant details.
Leggings, nail polish, shaitels, earrings....the yetzer hara is full of distractions.

Thank you

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:07 pm
See above - and I'll add to it - "sloppy".

Why do the BY schools have rules about how the girls dress outside of school? Or how their mothers dress?

To protect their reputation, of course. Although none of the schools I attended had those rules afaik, and neither does the one my girls are in currently.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
To protect their reputation, of course. Although none of the schools I attended had those rules afaik, and neither does the one my girls are in currently.

Reputation of only allowing a certain kind of dress, because that kind of dress signifies what?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:15 pm
So are you referring to frum people or secular society thinking that? Cuz I assure you, secular society is making more judgements on people wearing long sleeves and stockings in the summer heat. So? That doesn't hold us back.
And they probably think women look sloppy wearing snoods....or men with tzitzis hanging out. Or bushy beards.

Okay. So then assuming leggings fully cover legs - they are not permitted because? Will the woman who chooses to dress like this feel less inclined to do mitzvot?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:18 pm
I'm not sure what you are arguing--for or against? You seemed to making the case it's bad to wear leggings under a skirt because even though it's not a tznius issue, people will make judgments about the wearer. So I was simply asking you to clarify what sort of judgment. You seem to be taking to opposing side now.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:22 pm
I'm not sure what you are arguing--for or against? You seemed to making the case it's bad to wear leggings under a skirt because even though it's not a tznius issue, people will make judgments about the wearer. So I was simply asking you to clarify what sort of judgment. You seem to be taking to opposing side now.

I'm arguing neither side.

Judgement: She looks sloppy wearing a skirt over pants.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:25 pm
And who is making that judgment? Because if you're worried about secular society, we look strange anyway. If it is frum people, they understand and should appreciate the wearer is biding by halacha.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:41 pm
Reputation of only allowing a certain kind of dress, because that kind of dress signifies what?

Whatever they think it's important for their school to represent. Because we all know that in order for them to get only "top" girls from "top" families, they must guard their reputation very, very carefully. And obviously the whole point in opening a girls' HS is to make sure it's a TOP school. Because then it makes the administration top, which will earn them community wide respect and TOP shidduchim for their children and grandchildren.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children