Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
BBQ upsherin amounts
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:34 pm
I am planning a BBQ upsherin next week.
My mains are hot dogs, burgers, cutlets, drumsticks or wings
Sides are spicy/regular fries, corn on the cob, grilled veggies, maybe rice

Salad bar

How much do I need to count in per person. Didn't ask for RSVPs so not sure how many ppl. Anywhere from 50-70 including lots of kids.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:54 am
Can't help you with amounts but it sounds yum

Mazel tov

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:38 pm
100 hot dogs or around 12 packs of 8
50 hot dog buns
50 burgers
50 burger buns
50 cutlets
70 drumsticks
10 packages mixed frozen fries
50 corn on the cob
50 skewers grilled veggies
6 cups raw rice, cooked

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
50 hot dog buns
50 burgers
50 burger buns
50 cutlets
70 drumsticks
50 corn on the cob
40 skewers grilled veggies
6 cups raw rice, cooked

I was thinking half of that!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:42 pm
You don't have to grill everything right away but you need to have things seasoned/formed/ready to grill in case - and freeze raw for another time if not used. You don't want to run out of food. I find that people eat a lot at BBQs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
50 hot dog buns
50 burgers
50 burger buns
50 cutlets
70 drumsticks
50 corn on the cob
50 skewers grilled veggies
6 cups raw rice, cooked

Thanks!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:46 pm
On second thought I think you can reduce the burgers and drumstick amounts. People don't eat as much of those. And rice too (or reduce some of the fries).

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:49 pm
Ra-mom reason I said half is bec last summer in the 9 days I made a siyum and cheshboned one of everything per person but I was left with sooooooo much leftovers and I felt terrible because most of it went in the garbage. No one was able to eat fleishig the next few nights and I didnt have room to freeze massive amounts ...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
On second thought I think you can reduce the burgers and drumstick amounts. People don't eat as much of those. And rice too (or reduce some of the fries).

Thanks. I am going to do less rice (unless someone has another idea of a side dish I can do) but more fries.

Any other suggestions of what to serve?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Ra-mom reason I said half is bec last summer in the 9 days I made a siyum and cheshboned one of everything per person but I was left with sooooooo much leftovers and I felt terrible because most of it went in the garbage. No one was able to eat fleishig the next few nights and I didnt have room to freeze massive amounts ...

That's what I don't want but I made a BBQ on July fourth and I had 20 ppl.
We went through 18 Rib steaks. 15 burgers, two trays of veggies, 1 tray cutlets/dark cutlets. Didn't do hot dogs. I don't eat them.

I just have no idea how many ppl it will be!

cinnabon

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:53 pm
Grilled kishke
Onion rings
Cole slaw

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:55 pm
cinnabon wrote:
Grilled kishke
Onion rings
Cole slaw

I am doing Cole slaw
Never heard of grilled kishke
I may do onion rings still but they tend not to go by me so I wasn't going to.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:06 pm
Mazel Tov! If the 50-70 people include kids, I think you need way less or will have LOTS of leftovers. Most kids will only eat 1 hot dog OR burger and fries and since the adults also have chicken and salad/sides, will likely not have more than one burger. I would use the following numbers:

75 hot dogs (since some MAY eat more than one, although many of the adults will not have any)
60 burgers
40 cutlets
30 drumsticks or 90 wings

Fries - depends on the size of the bag, but assuming they are large ones (32 oz.) 6-7 bags should be enough. There are usually 11 servings per bag.

Corn on the cob - I would get 30 and cut them in half, since there are kids

I would do the grilled veggies if you have time, and salad, pickles, cole slaw. Skip the rice.

egam

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:10 pm
I would make at least a hundred of each, hotdogs, burgers, wings. And maybe have few packs of hotdogs extra in case you need more. Cut the cutlets in strips after you grill them. This will make it less wasteful. Make slider size burgers (about 8 burgers per lb of ground meat). Get less buns than burgers and hotdogs, not everyone will have them. And remember that people waste food, especially kids.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Mazel Tov! If the 50-70 people include kids, I think you need way less or will have LOTS of leftovers. Most kids will only eat 1 hot dog OR burger and fries and since the adults also have chicken and salad/sides, will likely not have more than one burger. I would use the following numbers:

75 hot dogs (since some MAY eat more than one, although many of the adults will not have any)
60 burgers
40 cutlets
30 drumsticks or 90 wings

Fries - depends on the size of the bag, but assuming they are large ones (32 oz.) 6-7 bags should be enough. There are usually 11 servings per bag.

Corn on the cob - I would get 30 and cut them in half, since there are kids

I would do the grilled veggies if you have time, and salad, pickles, cole slaw. Skip the rice.

Thanks I am planning on grilled veggies, a small salad bar which would be lettuce tomatoes peppers pickles etc.
The rice I was deciding since I honestly just need to fill.up a space in the sterno...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:11 pm
egam wrote:
I would make at least a hundred of each, hotdogs, burgers, wings. And maybe have few packs of hotdogs extra in case you need more. Cut the cutlets in strips after you grill them. This will make it less wasteful. Make slider size burgers (about 8 burgers per lb of ground meat). Get less buns than burgers and hotdogs, not everyone will have them. And remember that people waste food, especially kids.

Thanks! I am cutting cutlets in strips for sure. Good idea about slider burgers.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:30 pm
Adults and teens for sure eat at least 2 main items at a bbq. Even older kids do - my 7 year old will eat a hot dog and hamburger every time we grill. So ra_mom’s numbers do sound good. When people hang around at a party they tend to eat more or take more food then they will eat.

I don’t know if I’d do rice.
What about starchy easy salads - like linguini salad or quinoa. Or a potato or pasta salad.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:31 pm
sky wrote:
Adults and teens for sure eat at least 2 main items at a bbq. Even older kids do - my 7 year old will eat a hot dog and hamburger every time we grill. So ra_mom’s numbers do sound good. When people hang around at a party they tend to eat more or take more food then they will eat.

I don’t know if I’d do rice.
What about starchy easy salads - like linguini salad or quinoa. Or a potato or pasta salad.

I would do a quinoa salad or maybe tabouli. Any good recipes?

alwayscooking

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:39 pm
What about potato kugel? Feel that always goes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:40 pm
alwayscooking wrote:
What about potato kugel? Feel that always goes.

I am doing french fries. Kugel will be Overkill.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics