Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What is the "normal" frum litvish dress code for women?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:02 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
My tights are opaque. 40-60 denier. Nothing sheer about them.

That's what I wrote on p. 2.

Just checked. My tights are 60 denier.

Re. Melas - not sure which superwify was taking about,maybe the sheer...
But I wear the 60 opaque natural melas microfiber tights, and I love them. Bli ayin hara!!! I have occasionally ripped them, but most of my pairs survived.
I like that they are opaque, but too natural looking (not like leg), are very soft. They are like black sift and stretchy tights, only natural color.

Op,
It sounds our you aren't really exposed to yeshivish people, which makes me assume that you live in a chassidish enclave.
May I ask- How does your husband feel about your changes in dress?
Does he also not wear the levush?
Do you want to move to a litvish area?
I hope these questions aren't too personal. You can ignore them if you find them offensive.
I
I guess I'm confused.

He doesnt mind. It wasn't and isnt drastic changes. My sheitel actually
Got shorter! I gave up my smartphone! (How im on imamother now at 1:01 am is a long story:) I just stared wearing black tights in winter,hes ok a
With it. and then started doing my nails (hes not crazy abt that but for aesthetic reasons not frumkeit ), and went down to 40 denier from 60... as a kallah I was alrdy considered more" modernish" then my friends. Sure! He wears full levush! Summertime at vacay only, he'll swap his shirts for short sleeved tees(white cotton ) I don't want to move to litvish area, though I happen to appreciate lots of thier mailos. Integrity, less focused on externals, etc. But love my chassidishket!
Therss something so grounding bt being part of a chassidus, plus the (well thought out) takanos really keep things the way they should be.

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:39 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Actually, just because Im in the mood and feel like cheppering you
You said once that several times a year you get a light pink professional looking manicure for corporate meetings

Not creepy at all, Naturalmom......

Can't imagine I ever posted about getting a colored manicure, because I don't. Years and years ago, I got a sheer one with a slight pink tint to it, but it was a hassle because it wasn't as durable as clear gel and back then, gel manicures were very opaque.

I do occasionally get a clear gel manicure, if I have a lot of meetings. It's an odd thing, but in certain circles you're not fully "professional" looking if your nails are not done. Clear gel is about as "wild and crazy" as I get.

Last edited by debsey on Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:42 pm
goodmorning wrote:
I imagine that debsey can defend herself, but here's her previous post about her manicures (emphasis added):

Quote:

Once in a blue moon, if I have a very professional meeting where I feel I need to appear very well-groomed (pitching my company's services to a company out of Lakewood, for example) I'll get a clear gel manicure. Gel because it's durable.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....08771

(If you're going to be stalkerish and bring up someone's old posts to argue with them about their own personal details, at least verify that you're bringing up the correct post.)

Thanks, goodmorning.

You have either a good memory or mad googling skills. I don't even remember posting that........

LOL I didn't know my manicure (or present lack thereof) is so fascinating. (And my teenagers tell me I'm boring!)

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:15 am
debsey wrote:
Clear gel is about as "wild and crazy" as I get.

Frum ladies gone wild - spring break edition! Very Happy

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:16 am
4 inches below Knees, elbows, collarbone.
I wear makeup loads of colorful makeup, no blue or red though.
40 denier stockings.
I wear sandals with them.
Wear nude or black or gray depending on the season, outfit, and mood.
I wear knee highs though (hate tights)
I don't wear a sheitel but that's my own personal choice.
Nothing tight, red, words, etc.

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
It seems like you only have experience with the ultra chassidish double covered crowd.
There's a whole spectrum of chassidish that would probably be what you're looking for.
(I live in Monsey so to give you an idea: the Vien type r Bais Rochel type the chassidish BY type)
I'm chassidish but with typical frum dress code. A little Below shoulder Shaitel. 30 denier tights. Light color nail polish. I personally like subtle makeup. Mostly wear long skirts and tops. More of a sporty comfy look.

I’m not sure where you live OP- but where I live, the lines between chassidish and litvish are not as sharp, with both groups looking pretty similar. I guess here its more neutral chassidish so maybe thats why

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:25 am
goodmorning wrote:
I imagine that debsey can defend herself, but here's her previous post about her manicures (emphasis added):

Quote:

Once in a blue moon, if I have a very professional meeting where I feel I need to appear very well-groomed (pitching my company's services to a company out of Lakewood, for example) I'll get a clear gel manicure. Gel because it's durable.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....08771

(If you're going to be stalkerish and bring up someone's old posts to argue with them about their own personal details, at least verify that you're bringing up the correct post.)

You do realize I was joking
Humor...ha ha
Earthlings use it to emit lighthearted emotions....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks ! Im curious abt the melas, as most of you are saying that thats your tights.(... by chassidish most popular is sireco sughero.. 60-70 denier) is melas a good company? What color is the peach package.? Denier? Curious cuz it seems very popular..

The Melas are 12 denier and their most popular color is honey.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it nice color? Btw I wear sireco sugherou 40 and its soo disposable I waned to pitch an idea of a comic for the kichels one week. I have a bag full of (brand new tights that were worn maybe once, max twice) tights that have runs in them, and I keep on sorting through them to find the best ones....I think it would be hilarious
I always have a spare pair of tights in my purse (great idea btw)just in case. I wouldnt wanna sit at a nice restaurant or chassunah, or even shopping! And oopps.. an unsightly hole...

Fist I ordered the honey color but it was too dark, so I ordered then tan and that color is perfect.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:12 am
SuperWify wrote:
Why did I get hugged?

And more hugs.

Anonymous lovers of mine, come out and show yourself.

polka dots

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish wish wish I could go back to the days of wearing skirts 4 inches under knee! And being ok with it! As a teen I was very scrupulous about it, and once overheard someone saying "4 inches? No one wears 4 inches nowadays!" And I remember r feeling so furious then, "how dare she say it! Of course ppl wear 4 inches , I do"! I was so proud. Cant see myself ever being ok w the 4 inches "look" now. Ive gotten a teeny desensitized, ouch. oh well... Now its 2 inches at most. At most. But overall I give a refined look (I hope!)

I saw that longer dresses and skirts are coming back into style. Maybe Hashem did that for you! I was very happy to see that. Everyone will be able to be fully tznius and fashionable

aliavi

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:28 am
SuperWify wrote:
And more hugs.

Anonymous lovers of mine, come out and show yourself.

Possibly because you suggested that OP not dress like you? Just a guess. I didn't hug you but now I'm feeling left out of the group hug. I've now hugged you not anonymously.

Last edited by aliavi on Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:28 am
Wow I really seem to ha e secret admirers. How touching....

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:38 am
Deleted- wrong thread

tigerwife

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:30 am
Interesting thread. I can post that I cover elbows, knees (used to be only 4” below but I’ve slacked off a bit), collar bone, would wear a sheer pink mani and 30 denier tights... however, that says nothing about my personal style. My clothing is fun and interesting and sometimes high- fashion. I wouldn’t want to be wearing the same clothing as someone else, let alone match a huge group of people.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I totally get what youre saying., I was talking about coming
from a chassidish background where the norm is to look chassidish (not extremely, but enough)
Covered wig, etc. I actually forgot that there's a large group of ppl who are chassidish but dont dress chassidish. ! But id call their way of dress heimish looking. Or yeshivish style. Most ppl that belong to major chassidus (excl chabad,gur)dress chassidish, unless they decide to change, or they come from a more "heimish.
"family. I actually had a few such type of neighbors growing up, father wears shtreimel,

some have curled peyos some trim their beard, shave etc, mostly white shirts. The women dress ttly not chassidish, very heimish or litvish style, (longer wig, all makeup)

I don't mean to offend you, but you don't really sound like you know what you're talking about. You need to find IRL guidance from someone who is living the life you want for yourself.
- a chassidish woman

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:38 am
Didn't read all the posts but I think you should find a yeshivish rav to follow. It's good to have someone guiding you in what's halacha and what's not. I'm yeshivish, wear about 30 denier sometimes less, wear however much makeup I want but it's not flashy and wear a shaitel a little past my shoulders.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:53 am
aliavi wrote:
Possibly because you suggested that OP not dress like you? Just a guess. I didn't hug you but now I'm feeling left out of the group hug. I've now hugged you not anonymously.

I was explaining by that, that yeshivish litvish dress can mean a lot things. I gave examples of my dress to show my style. Probably different then what she had in mind coming from a covered wig background.

Thanks for the love 💕 I’m definitely walking around very puffed up today so many people want to hug me!! ❤️

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:56 am
Sorry op didn’t mean to hijack. May hashem give you much clarity to find your derech. Passing on the love I got here with a real true genuine hug! Hug Hug

naomi2

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:56 am
I can only help with the tights:)
Melas honey color are very popular but they are practically disposable. I buy the MeMio Honey color now. Not sure the denier but it's more than 12 so they last longer. Not for tsnius reasons.
Also, it might be helpful to go to a litvish hosiery store and ask the salesperson what's popular. They will know. Same for manicure places. If you go to one that is frequented by the clientele you want to dress like, the manicurist will know what colors are "in"
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics