Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Im not looking forward to the film Unorthodox w Shira Haas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:45 am
icebreaker wrote:
Do all Chassidish women wear pearl necklaces? Like why does every women in the picture have a pearl necklace lol. The costumes are terrible.

Yes they are terrible and old fashioned. I am chasidish and I would never wear any of those clothing.

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:46 am
WhatFor wrote:
Ugh it ruins the whole movie for me when the producers fail to catch the nuances of a culture. It’s so much worse when they make very obvious mistakes. Don’t they have consultants from within the community who can tell them?

My secret dream is to be asked to be a consultant on such a film and give them subtly bad advice. LOL

Litvish women only wear white tights.

When a chassidishe person mentions their rebbe, they say, "my father, my teacher, my rebbe" and then say their rebbes name.

All orthodox women don't wear hair coverings at home, and their hair is always dyed bright colors.

Men shave under their yarmulkas, so the scenes of them without one, must include a large bald circle on their heads.

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:59 am
Men wear nightcaps, complete with pom poms.
Women sleep in pantyhose.
When a frum person hears a friend speak lashon hora, she is obligated to quickly slap her and say "shah, shah". The friend will then thank her.
All brachos are several paragraphs long. I don't know why it would give me such a kick to see these actors whispering for two minutes before taking a drink.
Or better yet, a new bracha must be said on every bite. Picturing a dinner scene... Very Happy

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:01 am
creditcards wrote:
Yes they are terrible and old fashioned. I am chasidish and I would never wear any of those clothing.

the story is based on 20 or so years ago when styles were different.

But I'm still trying to imagine a full purple dress on any women I know that wears a spitzel.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:02 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
May you live a long life.

And prosper.

walkingalong

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:06 am
sequoia wrote:
You can ignore movies you don’t like.

Even for those of us who don't watch films and will ignore this one, we live with the social consequences of others seeing them and taking the films for truth.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:11 am
walkingalong wrote:
Even for those of us who don't watch films and will ignore this one, we live with the social consequences of others seeing them and taking the films for truth.

How was your life impacted by the book?

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:18 am
If you’re not looking forward to it, don’t watch it. Someone’s pointing a gun to your head?

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:19 am
Im having too much fun to stop!

The mother spits on the bride to ward off ayin horah

After lighting candles, the woman takes three steps back and bows.

Chabad wears lockets with a picture of the rebbe. Both men and women.

Digital watches are not allowed.

It's common place for a man to say "I swear on the life of my Borsalino!" And everyone present intones solemnly, "And so it is sworn".

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:24 am
Of course it is inaccurate. The purpose of these films is to give validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Accuracy and nuance would defeat the purpose.

On another note, the poster child OTD couple Perri Reich and Shauli Grossman who had endless TV interviews, newspaper articles, a reality TV show and other such publicity couldn't even keep their marriage together for more than a few years. They are now separated and the one I know is absolutely miserable with their life.

In the media you won't even see a hint of how their story ended up ...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Of course it is inaccurate. The purpose of these films is to give validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Accuracy and nuance would defeat the purpose.

On another note, high profile OTD couple Perri Reich and Shauli Grossman who had endless TV interviews, newspaper articles, a reality TV show and other such publicity couldn't even keep their marriage together for more than a few years. They are now separated and the one I know is absolutely miserable.

In the media today you won't even see a hint of how their story ended up ...

The purpose of these films is to make money. Period.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:38 am
sushilover wrote:
When a frum person hears a friend speak lashon hora, she is obligated to quickly slap her and say "shah, shah". The friend will then thank her.

Are you saying this isn't what your friends do IRL????

OMG sushilover I am ROFL LOL LOL LOL
Please post more! more! more!
I would literally buy a book of these if you published one

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:59 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
The purpose of these films is to make money. Period.

They make money by giving validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Anyway it isn't true that these films are only produced for the money .When I was a candidate for the OTD world I frequently would see them collecting money for proposed films and books of this nature. They were not only doing it for the money.

One proposed film (based on false events) wanted $50,000 to be an associate executive director. That position consisted of doing absolutely nothing other than giving the $50,000.No royalties (if any earned) would be given to the associate executive director .

They were also collecting plenty of other money besides.

What ,other than validation seeking, would motivate someone to give so much money to a for profit show that may not ever air ?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:59 am

More people watch stuff than read. Though I suspect more people will read the book after seeing the movie.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:00 am
sushilover wrote:

It's common place for a man to say "I swear on the life of my Borsalino!" And everyone present intones solemnly, "And so it is sworn".

I think that that's where you'll lose them.

keym

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:29 am
Sushilover I am literally rolling at your comments.
More, more. Or maybe start a spinoff.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:36 am
I needed the laugh today. Thank you Sushilover.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:37 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
They make money by giving validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Anyway it isn't true that these films are only produced for the money .When I was a candidate for the OTD world I frequently would see them collecting money for proposed films and books of this nature. They were not only doing it for the money.

One proposed film wanted $50,000 to be an associate executive director. That position consisted of doing absolutely nothing other than giving the $50,000.No royalties (if any earned) would be given to the associate executive director . They were also collecting plenty of other money besides.

What motive would someone have to give so much money other than validation?

I don't really understand your post. What is a "candidate for the OTD world"?

Unorthodox will be a Netflix series.

walkingalong

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:43 am

Having conversations that center around "Well, in Unorthodox she says that XYZ happens in hasidic homes...".

Through the years, a number of concerned acquaintances approach me about joining a cult by becoming orthodox, and then more when I became more chassidishe. On a regular basis I have conversations that include "Is it true that...". I have lost most of my secular, non-Jewish, and even MO friends over misconceptions spread by Unorthodox and books like it, especially ones concerning women, to say nothing of the media coverage of chassidishe communities being 97% negative. The friends which I have retained through my life have understood the context of the books bh.

Basically my life experience has been directly and heavily impacted by media depictions of hasidim.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:48 am
sushilover wrote:

That last one had me snorting into my coffee 😂

Also-

Husbands and wives sleep in separate bedrooms connected by a bathroom.

Clothing must have been designed 20 years prior in order to be worn.

Men over 21 must wear prosthetic beards, which may only be removed before sleeping.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics