Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Im not looking forward to the film Unorthodox w Shira Haas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Of course it is inaccurate. The purpose of these films is to give validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Accuracy and nuance would defeat the purpose.

On another note, high profile OTD couple Perri Reich and Shauli Grossman who had endless TV interviews, newspaper articles, a reality TV show and other such publicity couldn't even keep their marriage together for more than a few years. They are now separated and the one I know is absolutely miserable with their life.

In the media you won't even see a hint of how their story ended up ...

They had a reality tv show?? Where can I watch it?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
She is very short. Hence she portrayed a teenager in shtisel.

She's 24. Shtisel premiered in 2013, when she was 18; it may well have filmed when she was 17. Not all that far off of her age in the show.

In the US, its not uncommon to have 20-somethings playing teens. When 90210, the quintessential teen show, premiered, Gabrielle Carteris was 29, Luke Perry was 25 and Ian Ziering 26 ... all playing 16 year olds. On Glee, Cory Monteith was 27, playing a 16 year-old.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:28 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
They had a reality tv show?? Where can I watch it?

With all the money, effort and publicity poured into that reality tv show it never actually aired. No network was willing to buy the rights to it.

That frequently happens by attempted OTD movies.

As I said these movies are not produced for money. They are produced for validation.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:36 am
With all the money, effort and publicity poured into that reality tv show it never actually aired. No network was willing to buy the rights to it.

That frequently happens by attempted OTD movies.

As I said these movies are not produced for money. They are produced for validation.

I don't follow your logic. They were producing a reality show to sell to a network.

Metukah

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:39 am
sushilover wrote:
My secret dream is to be asked to be a consultant on such a film and give them subtly bad advice. LOL

Litvish women only wear white tights.

When a chassidishe person mentions their rebbe, they say, "my father, my teacher, my rebbe" and then say their rebbes name.

All orthodox women don't wear hair coverings at home, and their hair is always dyed bright colors.

Men shave under their yarmulkas, so the scenes of them without one, must include a large bald circle on their heads.

You had me in stitches.

Can we be friends?

Metukah

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:41 am
walkingalong wrote:
Having conversations that center around "Well, in Unorthodox she says that XYZ happens in hasidic homes...".

Through the years, a number of concerned acquaintances approach me about joining a cult by becoming orthodox, and then more when I became more chassidishe. On a regular basis I have conversations that include "Is it true that...". I have lost most of my secular, non-Jewish, and even MO friends over misconceptions spread by Unorthodox and books like it, especially ones concerning women, to say nothing of the media coverage of chassidishe communities being 97% negative. The friends which I have retained through my life have understood the context of the books bh.

Basically my life experience has been directly and heavily impacted by media depictions of hasidim.

I hugged this post. It was a genuine hug.

Angel

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:52 am
Sushilover, you crack me up!!!
When you get the job pleas lmk. Would love to join you!

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:00 pm
tigerwife wrote:
That last one had me snorting into my coffee 😂

Also-

Husbands and wives sleep in separate bedrooms connected by a bathroom.

Clothing must have been designed 20 years prior in order to be worn.

Men over 21 must wear prosthetic beards, which may only be removed before sleeping.

YES! I love it!

There is no "H" sound in yiddish or hebrew (chebrew), only the ches sound.
We read the chagada on pesach and say baruch Chashem.

We say oy vey all the time. Non stop.

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:31 pm
During happy moments, it's common for us to burst into spontaneous song..... Usually Hava Nagila or I Have a Little Dreidel. (Picture the scene... The main character finally agrees to marry the man her parents are forcing her to marry . The parents happily yell "oy vey!", grab hands and start dancing in circles, singing "I have a little dreidel". Camera zooms in to the main characters frightened face...
Now that's drama! )

Men kiss their shtreimels and women kiss their wigs before they put them on and when they take them off.

During nidda, spouses may not pass, but they may toss things into the air for their spouse to catch. It's not uncommon for Orthodox adults to be disproportionately talented pitchers and catchers as a result, even though many of us have never played sports.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:52 pm
Sushilover I'm seriously in tears from laughing.

Can I gently remind you that you seem to have forgotten the single most important fundamental practice in orthodox Judaism? The holy hole in the sheet. For the ultra orthodox it's done with a tent around the bed so that the walls won't see whats happening. And at the end, as a bonus, the movie will show a picture of the couple with their seven sons kohanim gedolim doing the avodah on the bimah in shul.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:26 pm
sushilover wrote:
During happy moments, it's common for us to burst into spontaneous song..... Usually Hava Nagila or I Have a Little Dreidel. (Picture the scene... The main character finally agrees to marry the man her parents are forcing her to marry . The parents happily yell "oy vey!", grab hands and start dancing in circles, singing "I have a little dreidel". Camera zooms in to the main characters frightened face...
Now that's drama! )

Men kiss their shtreimels and women kiss their wigs before they put them on and when they take them off.

During nidda, spouses may not pass, but they may toss things into the air for their spouse to catch. It's not uncommon for Orthodox adults to be disproportionately talented pitchers and catchers as a result, even though many of us have never played sports.

LOL Rolling Laughter LOL Rolling Laughter LOL Rolling Laughter
you are way too funny!

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:08 pm
sushilover wrote:
Now that's drama! )

We do the entire Birchas Kohanim every time we see each other.
"May the L-rd Bless You and Keep you......" I mean, every time. Takes forever at the checkout counter.......

Now you can totally understand all the Lakewood traffic.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:02 pm
sushilover wrote:
YES! I love it!

There is no "H" sound in yiddish or hebrew (chebrew), only the ches sound.
We read the chagada on pesach and say baruch Chashem.

We say oy vey all the time. Non stop.

I was OY derelict in VEY not telling you how OY much I enjoyed your VEY posts so far.
Keep them up, oy yoy yoy keep them up, oy yoy yoy venismecha!

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:05 pm
They make money by giving validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Anyway it isn't true that these films are only produced for the money .When I was a candidate for the OTD world I frequently would see them collecting money for proposed films and books of this nature. They were not only doing it for the money.

One proposed film (based on false events) wanted $50,000 to be an associate executive director. That position consisted of doing absolutely nothing other than giving the $50,000.No royalties (if any earned) would be given to the associate executive director .

They were also collecting plenty of other money besides.

What ,other than validation seeking, would motivate someone to give so much money to a for profit show that may not ever air ?

That’s how the film industry works. It takes a lot of money to make a movie.

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:44 pm
debsey wrote:
We do the entire Birchas Kohanim every time we see each other.
"May the L-rd Bless You and Keep you......" I mean, every time. Takes forever at the checkout counter.......

Now you can totally understand all the Lakewood traffic.

Rolling Laughter
I can so see them falling for that!

Look, no matter what, they'll make mistakes because they just don't know our culture. To them, kissing tfillin is just as strange as kissing a shtreimel. Might as well stick in some private jokes that only we will get.

If you guys know someone making a movie PLEASE direct them to me!

JKA

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:30 pm
Of course we also only listen to klezmer music. All the time. It’s playing in our cars and in our homes and is piped out of all the stores as the mothers pass by pushing their strollers. Which is your favorite klezmer band? (I can’t name even one!)

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:33 pm
sushilover wrote:
Rolling Laughter
I can so see them falling for that!

Look, no matter what, they'll make mistakes because they just don't know our culture. To them, kissing tfillin is just as strange as kissing a shtreimel. Might as well stick in some private jokes that only we will get.

If you guys know someone making a movie PLEASE direct them to me!

Blessed be the fruit, sushilover.

Oh wait. Wrong fictional totalitarian misogynistic culture.....................

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
She's 24. Shtisel premiered in 2013, when she was 18; it may well have filmed when she was 17. Not all that far off of her age in the show.

In the US, its not uncommon to have 20-somethings playing teens. When 90210, the quintessential teen show, premiered, Gabrielle Carteris was 29, Luke Perry was 25 and Ian Ziering 26 ... all playing 16 year olds. On Glee, Cory Monteith was 27, playing a 16 year-old.

Off topic, but that always annoyed me. 16 year olds are just kids!

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:27 pm
A shame that a movie about uniquely successful genuinely frum people, who have made it and employ hundreds or more, or reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc who went through the frummest schools and remained frum despite the temptations of huge success, would never be made, because it would be of no interest to anyone outside frum communities.

At the end of the day, the film production companies deciding what to invest in, is all about the Benjamin$.

Marigold

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:41 pm
Mevater wrote:
A shame that a movie about uniquely successful genuinely frum people, who have made it and employ hundreds or more, or reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc who went through the frummest schools and remained frum despite the temptations of huge success, would never be made, because it would be of no interest to anyone outside frum communities.

At the end of the day, the film production companies deciding what to invest in, is all about the Benjamin$.

Cuz Who would pay a dime to see this? Yup, money makes the world go round.

Sushilover, oh. my. gawd. Are we allowed to laugh like this during the 9 days?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics