Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Im not looking forward to the film Unorthodox w Shira Haas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:06 pm
Mevater wrote:
A shame that a movie about uniquely successful genuinely frum people, who have made it and employ hundreds or more, or reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc who went through the frummest schools and remained frum despite the temptations of huge success, would never be made, because it would be of no interest to anyone outside frum communities.

At the end of the day, the film production companies deciding what to invest in, is all about the Benjamin$.

This movie has nothing to do with frum people, its more about one persons journey both in and out of the Satmar community and her family lifestyle than anything else. Now if you have Satmar people who "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc" but remained frum and accepted in the Satmar community then you may have a successful film about those individuals. But that is very far from being the case which is why there are no such movies.

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:16 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
This movie has nothing to do with frum people, its more about one persons journey both in and out of the Satmar community and her family lifestyle than anything else. Now if you have Satmar people who "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc but remained frum and accepted in the Satmar community then you may have a successful film about those individuals. But that is very far from being the case which is why there are no such movies.

Eh. I have relatives who went through the Satmar school system and got degrees and are professionals and remained Chassidish. Its a growing trend.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:19 pm
Mevater wrote:
Eh. I have relatives who went through the Satmar school system and got degrees and are professionals and remained Chassidish. Its a growing trend.

Its a growing trend is different than its the norm. But did they got their GED's and got degrees at regular colleges where they were then able to "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc". Or did they just do some online program that didnt care much about standards or the fact that they dont graduate high school and then majored in special education?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:19 pm
Sushilover, I can't believe u posted this during the nine days. That should not be allowed. Its hilarious.

I just opened this thread because I'm waiting for my baby to fall asleep. I tried desperately to contain my giggling.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:26 pm
I just want to see it to see if I made it in... I dont want to see

I knew her very well growing up.

fbp

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:32 pm
]Its a growing trend is different than its the norm. But did they got their GED's and got degrees at regular colleges where they were then able to "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc". Or did they just do some online program that didnt care much about standards or the fact that they dont graduate high school and then majored in special education
Yes! I'm satmar and have friends completing degrees in Colleges like Touro etc. for all types of degrees. Let's not stereotype please. And they're not becoming surgeons if that's what you're aiming for..

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:40 pm
fbp wrote:
]Its a growing trend is different than its the norm. But did they got their GED's and got degrees at regular colleges where they were then able to "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc". Or did they just do some online program that didnt care much about standards or the fact that they dont graduate high school and then majored in special education
Yes! I'm satmar and have friends completing degrees in Colleges like Touro etc. for all types of degrees. Let's not stereotype please. And they're not becoming surgeons if that's what you're aiming for..

I know a few Satmar women who tried going to Touro but werent accepted because they didnt have a valid high school diploma (because Satmar doesnt offer regents, nor is it accredited). So how did your friends who graduated satmar high school get accepted to touro or other colleges?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:42 pm
And if you think its a stereotype that some Satmar girls get their online special education degree then read this NY Times article:

Quote:
Among the Satmar in Brooklyn, use of the internet is condemned and secular education is considered of little use. In recent years, though, it became the fashion among some Satmar women to pursue special-education degrees after high school, typically online or through religious colleges. The women often go to work not in philosophically suspect places like Greenwich Village, but in schools within their community. Now, even that minor advance has been rolled back; some Satmar leaders issued a decree proclaiming that the practice would no longer be tolerated. A letter from the United Talmudical Academy, the governing body for a consortium of schools, meant for girls entering the 12th grade and their parents, stated that they “shouldn’t God forbid take a degree which is according to our sages, dangerous and damaging.”

The letter went on to say that girls shouldn’t learn college subjects and that those who refused to obey would be denied positions as teachers. Leaders, they said, had a responsibility to protect the religious educational system from outside influences.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/0......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:49 pm
DrMom wrote:
My initial reaction: The heroine seems to have a very large head in proportion to her body.

She was very sick as a girl (IIRC, her kidneys) -- hence her growth was stunted. Knowing this, it would be more sensitive for people not to comment on her appearance. Better to focus on the ridiculousness of portraying Orthodox Judaism completely inaccurately.

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:55 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
This movie has nothing to do with frum people, its more about one persons journey both in and out of the Satmar community and her family lifestyle than anything else. Now if you have Satmar people who "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc" but remained frum and accepted in the Satmar community then you may have a successful film about those individuals. But that is very far from being the case which is why there are no such movies.

My post was about clearly frum successful people, not specifically about Chassidim. By and large the professionals are extremely frum but not Chassidish.

But, loads of Chassidim built up successful (honest) businesses that employ hundreds. And not all wealthy Chassidim are slumlords, like the papers would like the public to think.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:56 pm
fbp wrote:

My Satmar social circle is pretty small, limited mostly to those I know from work and networking, so I agree that my perspective is slanted, but in Satmar I either know personally or of: a nurse, in SaaS, a couple in real estate, a couple as alternative health practitioners (like alternative or not, you need brains to complete the courses), therapists, and businesswomen.

Lesia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:15 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Of course it is inaccurate. The purpose of these films is to give validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Accuracy and nuance would defeat the purpose.

On another note, high profile OTD couple Perri Reich and Shauli Grossman who had endless TV interviews, newspaper articles, a reality TV show and other such publicity couldn't even keep their marriage together for more than a few years. They are now separated and the one I know is absolutely miserable with their life.

In the media you won't even see a hint of how their story ended up ...

Since you are judging every OTD experience on the basis of a very dysfunctional couple, I’m gonna take the liberty to say it’s absolutely awful to be frum, based on the terrible lives that so many frum women in this forum seem to have.

Lesia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
They make money by giving validation to secular and OTD Jews and to a lesser extent anti-Semites.

Anyway it isn't true that these films are only produced for the money .When I was a candidate for the OTD world I frequently would see them collecting money for proposed films and books of this nature. They were not only doing it for the money.

One proposed film (based on false events) wanted $50,000 to be an associate executive director. That position consisted of doing absolutely nothing other than giving the $50,000.No royalties (if any earned) would be given to the associate executive director .

They were also collecting plenty of other money besides.

What ,other than validation seeking, would motivate someone to give so much money to a for profit show that may not ever air ?

Nothing in this post makes any sense at all. I can see why your candidacy to the OTD world was rejected since you seem to have a delusional and warped vision of what that life is actually about.

turca

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:21 pm
sushilover wrote:
Rolling Laughter
I can so see them falling for that!

Look, no matter what, they'll make mistakes because they just don't know our culture. To them, kissing tfillin is just as strange as kissing a shtreimel. Might as well stick in some private jokes that only we will get.

If you guys know someone making a movie PLEASE direct them to me!

Don’t forget to add that when we go to the mikvah, after we dip, the mikvah lady gives a sheet with a hole in the middle. And she says “only through the holy hole”!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:48 pm
Lesia wrote:
Nothing in this post makes any sense at all. I can see why your candidacy to the OTD world was rejected since you seem to have a delusional and warped vision of what that life is actually about.

Right.

Respond with no substance other than a bunch of insults, try to make me feel stupid and tell me I have a delusional and warped vision of what that life is actually about because I'm not thinking what you want to manipulate me into thinking.

It was this type of behavior and responses that led me to my disillusionment with the OTD world.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:42 pm
Movie projects can take years and tons of fundraising to take off, then fall apart at the last minute. Nothing to do with the OTD world. Happens all the time.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:05 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I know a few Satmar women who tried going to Touro but werent accepted because they didnt have a valid high school diploma (because Satmar doesnt offer regents, nor is it accredited). So how did your friends who graduated satmar high school get accepted to touro or other colleges?

Satmar lady here.
I did. You get a GED. Not that complicated.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:03 am
I have an Italian friend who cringed at The Sopranos. I haven't seen the movie, but maybe there isn't an anti-Semitic or anti-frum agenda here. Maybe it's just outsiders not quite getting the nuances. It happens.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 6:30 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
She's 24. Shtisel premiered in 2013, when she was 18; it may well have filmed when she was 17. Not all that far off of her age in the show.

In the US, its not uncommon to have 20-somethings playing teens. When 90210, the quintessential teen show, premiered, Gabrielle Carteris was 29, Luke Perry was 25 and Ian Ziering 26 ... all playing 16 year olds. On Glee, Cory Monteith was 27, playing a 16 year-old.

It might be easy enough for a 29 year old to portray a secular teenager, who wears make up and so on. But its harder to portray a Beis yaakov girl. And I think Ruchami was only 15 or so at the beginning of the show.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 7:48 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Its a growing trend is different than its the norm. But did they got their GED's and got degrees at regular colleges where they were then able to "reach unique heights in medicine, science, tech fields, etc". Or did they just do some online program that didnt care much about standards or the fact that they dont graduate high school and then majored in special education?

Ivy League education here bh (my Williamsburg husband, very much still chassidish)
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics