Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
English Names
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you have an "English" Legal name?
Yes - Totally Different Name  
 18%  [ 30 ]
Yes - Similar Name  
 17%  [ 27 ]
No - Legal name matches my Hebrew name  
 56%  [ 89 ]
Ish - My legal first/middle name matches and the other name does not  
 7%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 158

lcraighten

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:02 pm
I'm quite against using "English" legal names. I feel like there are so many ethnic names today that we don't have to change names to accommodate others.

What do you think?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:07 pm
I think the trend of giving secular names ebbs and flows depending how the rest of the world is currently treating Jews and how much we need to be able to blend in to society for safety's sake.
So, for example, our grandparents certainly gave most of our parents secular names. Our parents slowly petered out with this in the 1980s or thereabouts. Nowadays, most frum people feel pretty secure and ok with standing out so lots choose to do Jewish names only.
Be aware that this can change on a dime. We are still in galus.

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:08 pm
With the popularity of ethic names it's probably less of a big deal. But remember, ppl davka didn't want to be identified by just their Jewish name after ww2. Also ppl wanted to fit in with everyone around them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:12 pm
I think it kind of gives you the chance to pick a name that you like and would have wanted to give but couldn't give as the main name.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:16 pm
How do you vote if the legal and Hebrew name is the same, but it's still a secularly used name as well?
Like Sarah, Rachel, Leah... (The pronunciation may be different, but you can't tell in the spelling)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:21 pm
My great grandfathers name was Adolf and he felt he was saved during the war that way so he requested that all his descendants have English names as their legal names.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:28 pm
Amother bc I say this irl ALL THE TIME.
I have an English name, doesn’t mesh with my Hebrew name.
Whole life went by Hebrew name - loved it and hated my english name. Started to use my English during college.

Also, not the oldest child and have younger siblings - I’m the only one who’s name is not reversible.

Ie for example: my siblings Dovid/David, Rachel/ rochel while I am a Bracha/ Harriet.

(Not actual names - to give an idea)

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

tothepoint

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
Amother bc I say this irl ALL THE TIME.
I have an English name, doesn’t mesh with my Hebrew name.
Whole life went by Hebrew name - loved it and hated my english name. Started to use my English during college.

Also, not the oldest child and have younger siblings - I’m the only one who’s name is not reversible.

Ie for example: my siblings Dovid/David, Rachel/ rochel while I am a Bracha/ Harriet.

(Not actual names - to give an idea)

FYI you posted under your SN

lcraighten

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:35 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
How do you vote if the legal and Hebrew name is the same, but it's still a secularly used name as well?
Like Sarah, Rachel, Leah... (The pronunciation may be different, but you can't tell in the spelling)

I would say that your name is the same in both Hebrew and English Smile

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:38 pm
These answers are all so interesting! I remember learning that the Jewish people in Egypt did not change their clothes, names or language and I always kind of wondered how that plays into the custom we have today of giving English names.

Totally not being antagonistic!! Genuinely curious if that comes into play at all.

Mind you I gave my children that same first names as their Hebrew names and then a totally unrelated middle name.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:39 pm
lcraighten wrote:
I would say that your name is the same in both Hebrew and English Smile

Yes it is, but it's not like Chaya or Shaindel.
It's a completely different category.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:42 pm
tothepoint wrote:
FYI you posted under your SN

Thanks, can you edit your post?

lcraighten

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:42 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Yes it is, but it's not like Chaya or Shaindel.
It's a completely different category.

If your name is Sara and your english name is Sara then you have the same name. There are people I know that will specifically give their children easy Hebrew names, I consider this the same name. You never have to deal with that kind of confusion.

If your Hebrew name is Shoshana and your legal name is Rose then you don't have the same name.

If your Hebrew name is Devorah and your legal name is Debra then you have similar names.

Is that a bit clearer? Let me know!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:52 pm
lcraighten wrote:
If your name is Sara and your english name is Sara then you have the same name. There are people I know that will specifically give their children easy Hebrew names, I consider this the same name. You never have to deal with that kind of confusion.

If your Hebrew name is Shoshana and your legal name is Rose then you don't have the same name.

If your Hebrew name is Devorah and your legal name is Debra then you have similar names.

Is that a bit clearer? Let me know!

Yup! Smile
BUT - Then the option of same name, shouldn't be "No - same name" it's just as likely "yes, same name"

lcraighten

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:53 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Yup! Smile
BUT - Then the option of same name, shouldn't be "No - same name" it's just as likely "yes, same name"

Hmmmm - true. I'll try to edit the poll. Not sure if I can

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:59 pm
I gave my kids legal "English" names, not because I am ashamed of them having an ethnic name, but literally just to make their lives easier. My husband's legal name is Michael and it's so nice that he almost never has to spell it for anyone. Sounds silly but the amount of time I spend spelling MY name over the phone really adds up!

So I gave my kids nice easy to spell names (I.e. Rachel, John, Thomas) so they can save themselves the trouble.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:01 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I gave my kids legal "English" names, not because I am ashamed of them having an ethnic name, but literally just to make their lives easier. My husband's legal name is Michael and it's so nice that he almost never has to spell it for anyone. Sounds silly but the amount of time I spend spelling MY name over the phone really adds up!

So I gave my kids nice easy to spell names (I.e. Rachel, John, Thomas) so they can save themselves the trouble.

This is not specifically about you, but I CANNOT understand people who name their kids Christian names! Secular names, okay, biblical names, great! But WHY John, Mary and Peter?? Would you name your kid Je-sus?
Before I name my child, whether Hebrew or English, I research the origin and meaning of the name!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:02 pm
Tan, I think I read that Jews started to give additional secular names during the times of Bavel. When Jews started being exiled there. So it goes back some time, and definitely is connected to being in galus. Remember, back in Egypt the Jews hadn't received the Torah yet, and as such were not a nation yet. A family or extended clan, I guess, but not what we think of as the Jewish nation now. So they needed those markers in a way that we don't, since we have to Torah to bind us and mark us as being part of the Jewish nation.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:03 pm
my hebrew first name is a common english name and my parents put middle initial for english.

I don't really like the idea of having a different " legal" and hebrew name. I feel like it makes life simpler for the person if its the same. a my brother had that and wasn't such a fan. On the other hand my father ran from the holocaust and I'm a bit paranoid so like names that can go both ways. So far all of my children's first name is like that. The first two weren't even planned, just happend like that and the third one was planned. second name I figure they can drop or use initial...considered not putting it on but did in the end.

my father actually made his hebrew first name his legal one here in america so guess I shouldn't be more paranoid then him but...

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
This is not specifically about you, but I CANNOT understand people who name their kids Christian names! Secular names, okay, biblical names, great! But WHY John, Mary and Peter?? Would you name your kid Je-sus?
Before I name my child, whether Hebrew or English, I research the origin and meaning of the name!

I didn't give those names, was just using them as examples of names that are pretty much universally spelled the same. I wouldn't name my kid John or anything like that.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics