Home

Ami,mishpacha, hamodia,binah
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:25 pm
Anon because I feel a bit silly asking this, but I want to know about the frum magazines available. I don't live in the usa so a subscription will be expensive but I would really like to have something to read on a regular basis. (I sometimes pick up a magazine or 2 when I am in the states) can you tell me a little about each magazine and what they're topics are usually, who they are geared towards, and so on? Tia.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:27 pm
I like the Yated, which you didn't mention. Least fancy, repeated content over years, but solidly yeshivish and the only newspaper I want my children to read.
Hamodia is good too. Has the most content. If it's expensive, do Hamodia. More chassidish.
Ami is a tabloid and not reliable
Binah is the frum version of good housekeeping
Mishpacha is the most professional but I personally find it too modern.
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:29 pm
Mishpacha is the most wide ranging and well written of them all.

Topics include current events, politics (mostly israel and US, with some others sprinkled in), influential figures (rabbis and other figures), fictional stories, historic pieces, recipes...

Most of the magazines cover the same topics but I find the mishpacha to be the most inclusive and well written.
Back to top

amother




cornflower


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:30 pm
I like Hamodia best.
Back to top

bobeli




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:33 pm
Get some good books or print from reliable websites like aish. Com
The magazines are not well filtered and have a lot of nonsense.
I don’t like my kids reading it, not even the kids one
Back to top

amother




Salmon


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:34 pm
I, too, vote for Mishpacha. A lot of nice interesting arlicles in Family First. News and great features, serials in FF and Main Mishpacha
Back to top

amother




Aubergine


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:36 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Mishpacha is the most wide ranging and well written of them all.

Topics include current events, politics (mostly israel and US, with some others sprinkled in), influential figures (rabbis and other figures), fictional stories, historic pieces, recipes...

Most of the magazines cover the same topics but I find the mishpacha to be the most inclusive and well written.


Agreed. Mishpacha is also the most professional in terms of writing and editing. It ready grates on me when I'm reading other frum weekly publications and an article reads like a high school assignment (at best). I find that the staff is comprised largely of intelligent, growth oriented people who have a finger on the pulse of frum life today.
Back to top

pesek zman




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:49 pm
I don’t understand the comments about kids reading it. Full disclosure: I don’t read any of these magazines: they’re all way to the right of how I perceive myself. But can’t you get the magazine and just keep it for yourself if you don’t want your kids to read it? Keep it at your bedside table and read it there? OP didn't say she’s looking for a magazine for her whole family. (Or am I missing something?)
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:54 pm
Yated most reliable torahdik newspaper good full proff content
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:58 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I don’t understand the comments about kids reading it. Full disclosure: I don’t read any of these magazines: they’re all way to the right of how I perceive myself. But can’t you get the magazine and just keep it for yourself if you don’t want your kids to read it? Keep it at your bedside table and read it there? OP didn't say she’s looking for a magazine for her whole family. (Or am I missing something?)


I don't understand it either- but that's because there's nothing in there that I wouldn't be comfortable discussing with my kids.
Back to top

amother




Oak


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:05 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Agreed. Mishpacha is also the most professional in terms of writing and editing. It ready grates on me when I'm reading other frum weekly publications and an article reads like a high school assignment (at best). I find that the staff is comprised largely of intelligent, growth oriented people who have a finger on the pulse of frum life today.


Since you appreciate good writing and editing, that would be "the staff comprises..."

"Comprised of" is never correct.
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:09 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Since you appreciate good writing and editing, that would be "the staff comprises..."

"Comprised of" is never correct.


Comprising of is never correct. But comprised of can arguably be used.

https://www.merriam-webster.co.....ammar


Last edited by allthingsblue on Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

provent




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:13 am
Another vote for Mishpacha.
Back to top

amother




Lemon


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:13 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
"Comprised of" is never correct.

Prescriptivist scum.
Back to top

LovesHashem




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:14 am
I like Ami. I feel like they hit issues other magazines don't and I find their informational slightly more interesting to Mishpacha. Mishpacha comes in second. I like Hamodia for news.

The Yated is very yeshivish but at the same time they have so many opinions that bother me. I don't look to the others for hashkafa and take whatever I read with a grain of salt. But Yated is supposed to be yeshivish...so when they do things or write things I don't agree with it grates on me. Also recently they have had a lot of the humour columns taken basically straight up from youtube skits. Not sure if they paid the owners of the skits to copy the scripts, but it bothered me the fact alone that they are so yeshivish yet get their humour column from non-jewish youtube videos.
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:16 am
Agree that Mishpacha has the greatest variety of topics, columns, and view points. I also like that they are willing to print letters to the editor with disagreements or criticism. That is very rare in the other publications. I love Rabbi Grylak's editorials. So elegantly written (I assume translated from the Hebrew), the other publications do not have the equivalent.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:18 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I like Ami. I feel like they hit issues other magazines don't and I find their informational slightly more interesting to Mishpacha. Mishpacha comes in second. I like Hamodia for news.

The Yated is very yeshivish but at the same time they have so many opinions that bother me. I don't look to the others for hashkafa and take whatever I read with a grain of salt. But Yated is supposed to be yeshivish...so when they do things or write things I don't agree with it grates on me. Also recently they have had a lot of the humour columns taken basically straight up from youtube skits. Not sure if they paid the owners of the skits to copy the scripts, but it bothered me the fact alone that they are so yeshivish yet get their humour column from non-jewish youtube videos.

What humor column? I read it cover to cover.
No idea what you're talking about but they do lightly rewrite their news briefs from AP and similar

And Yated is always publishing self critical letters. Including one of mine a few years back. I went thru a liberal phase in high school and castigated them for being too conservative and they printed it.


Last edited by ectomorph on Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:20 am
I assume she means the quotes. Most are taken from late night television comedy shows.
I don't read the Yated anymore, but yeah, that always made me roll my eyes.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:23 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I assume she means the quotes. Most are taken from late night television comedy shows.
I don't read the Yated anymore, but yeah, that always made me roll my eyes.

It's mostly just rush Limbaugh quotes although now they're trying to appear more balanced and quote both sides. They're not watching the videos, they're aggregating from transcripts.

Whatever, I happen to find their slant a feature rather than a bug. At least they're honest and direct about it.
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:27 am
Like I said, I don't read the Yated anymore. But back when I did, they loved to quote Jay Leno, Carson Daly, David Letterman, etc. They just didn't name the show, would just put ABC or NBC or whatever, after their names.
Stopped reading it about a year or so ago. Don't miss it, either....
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
The Happiness Cipher- New serial in Binah by Etka G!
by amother
298 Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:18 am View last post
Ami article; Chaim Ekstein's $10K wedding plan 109 Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:48 pm View last post
Oat muffin from Mishpacha 0 Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:13 pm View last post
Is it shabbos yet mishpacha 31 Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:46 am View last post
How to get into Mishpacha's column- Behind the Book
by amother
2 Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:46 pm View last post

Jump to: