Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bikur cholim paying for psychiatrist/psychologist

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:03 pm
How common is it that bikur cholim pays for or contributes to to these fees? The initial intake is often 600+ and the sessions that follow are also very expensive. Yet these doctors seems booked. Most (especially the good ones!) Don't take insurance. Is everyone forking over this kind of money?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:07 pm
Where is this?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How common is it that bikur cholim pays for or contributes to to these fees? The initial intake is often 600+ and the sessions that follow are also very expensive. Yet these doctors seems booked. Most (especially the good ones!) Don't take insurance. Is everyone forking over this kind of money?

I am.

Until my teen was diagnosed with a mental illness, I was never in debt. Now, with the combined increase in our expenses in general and the costs of her psychiatry, therapy, etc...we are several thousand dollars in debt (credit card).

Let's see...intake was $700, follow-ups are $200, and therapy is $150 a session, there was an intake for that too (I don't even remember how much that was.) Therapy has been weekly or biweekly, psychiatry was initially weekly and now is every 3 months, unless we need more. We also sent her to group DBT therapy which has been amazing, that was $75 weekly.

Insurance pays peanuts. Like maybe $50 a session if I'm lucky.

B"H she is doing well, and I tell her she is worth every penny. We will B"EH catch up. My husband has been able to take on some extra work responsibilities so we are hoping to catch up sooner rather than later.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:12 pm
Where do you live, and how serious is your issue that you need such a "good" psychiatrist? Why cant you go to one that your insurance covers? And how are you deciding who is "good" and who is not? There is an overall perception in the frum world that someone must charge these fees to be good. Or that you are only good if you charge these fees.

I've gotten the best referral for a psychiatrist through my OBGYN. Start there for a referral.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
Where do you live, and how serious is your issue that you need such a "good" psychiatrist? Why cant you go to one that your insurance covers? And how are you deciding who is "good" and who is not? There is an overall perception in the frum world that someone must charge these fees to be good. Or that you are only good if you charge these fees.

I've gotten the best referral for a psychiatrist through my OBGYN. Start there for a referral.

Maybe you're right. I'm in the 5towns.
It's hard to tell who's good other then word of mouth. Also, it seems around here 80% if not more don't take insurance. This is certainly the case with psychologists.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe you're right. I'm in the 5towns.
It's hard to tell who's good other then word of mouth. Also, it seems around here 80% if not more don't take insurance. This is certainly the case with psychologists.

5 Towns? Then there you go. People have the money to get "the best", whatever that means.

You live very close to excellent healthcare. I would 100% start with your OBGYN.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 4:06 pm
Unfortunately, reimbursement from insurance companies to mental health providers is very low, so well trained practitioners with huge student debt can't make a living if they accept insurance. I would call Achiezer in the Five Towns for a referral/advice 516-791-4444 or Ohel. You could also try calling some nearby hospitals mental health clinics. I'd try Zucker/Hillside in Queens. You would be seen by residents being trained in psychiatry, who are closely supervised by attending psychiatrists. They accept most insurance. Depending on the issue, you might want to consider a seeing a neurologist who generally accept most major insurance. Wishing you much luck in finding the help you need.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 5:52 pm
As a mental health professional, if you were fortunate to find somebody good, don't leave them so fast. In many cases people have to see many practitioners to get the right help, especially if it's a difficult case. Try Achiezer for funding and don't think you'll get the same treatment with a beginner or somebody who graduated at the bottom of their class. Bring on the 🍅!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics