Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Diapers without wetness indicator??
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:56 pm
Luvs used to be but just discovered today that they changed Sad((

Can anyone check their diapers and let me know?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:57 pm
What is your concern with the wetness indicator?

shmosmom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:58 pm
Just curious, what don't you like about the wetness indicator? As a first time mom it was A HUGE HELP.
Also, as an aside I love the Target brand diapers.

PractclyPerfect

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:01 pm
Many people hold that the wetness indicator is a problem on Shabbos.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:35 pm
deg wrote:

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of that. Which brands DONT have a wetness indicator. Even the generic brands have one.

srbmom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:37 pm
I don't remember Target brand having, but it's been a few years since I've used diapers...

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:40 pm
srbmom wrote:
I don't remember Target brand having, but it's been a few years since I've used diapers...

I use Target and Walmart and both of their brands have one

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:00 pm
As far as I know pampers doesn’t have it above a certain size. Never heard of it being a problem though. Interesting.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 11:41 pm
deg wrote:

A problem because the infant wearing the diaper is mechalel shabbat by uncontrollably urinating? Seems pretty harsh.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 12:09 am
When I used 7th Generation diapers a few years ago I don't remember them having the indicator.

PractclyPerfect

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 12:52 am
DrMom wrote:
A problem because the infant wearing the diaper is mechalel shabbat by uncontrollably urinating? Seems pretty harsh.

I can't answer properly as we do use these on Shabbos (I have close relatives who do not), but I don't think its about the baby. An adult is putting the diaper on, and it will inevitably change colors.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 1:05 am
deg wrote:
I can't answer properly as we do use these on Shabbos (I have close relatives who do not), but I don't think its about the baby. An adult is putting the diaper on, and it will inevitably change colors.

Seems odd to me. After all, the adult is not the one causing the color change.

Also, the baby (who is certainly not obligated to mitzvot) is only causing the color change by grama.

I'd be interested in understanding the reasoning used by those who forbid use of these diapers for babies.

Debbie

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 6:06 am
I was told by a local London Dayan that the wetness indicator is not an issue on Shabbos.
However this was back in 1991,so there may be a difference of opinion now and other Rabbonim might pasken differently.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:11 am
We asked also, and were told it's not an issue. We're not only using that diaper to know if the baby is wet. We're using it because the kid needs a diaper and it happens to have a wetness indicator.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:31 am
Rolling Eyes Banging head Can't Believe It

Oh good grief. If your rabbi forbids it, cloth diaper your baby. Every time the baby needs to be changed, your rabbi has to come over and deal with it.

I knew a family who scraped their baby's already sore bottom completely raw, because they only used dry paper towels on Shabbos, instead of baby wipes. I told them they could squeeze out all of the loose liquid before Shabbos, and keep the prepared wipes in a zip lock bag. They said that then it would cause "the appearance of using wet wipes", so they couldn't do that. Also, the zip lock bag might be a keli or something.

I give up. People are crazy, and have no seichel these days.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:33 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:

Oh good grief. If your rabbi forbids it, cloth diaper your baby. Every time the baby needs to be changed, your rabbi has to come over and deal with it.

I knew a family who scraped their baby's already sore bottom completely raw, because they only used dry paper towels on Shabbos, instead of baby wipes. I told them they could squeeze out all of the loose liquid before Shabbos, and keep the prepared wipes in a zip lock bag. They said that then it would cause "the appearance of using wet wipes", so they couldn't do that. Also, the zip lock bag might be a keli or something.

Agree. 100000%

Debbie

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:53 am

Ouch,poor baby.
My second baby had really sensitive skin and wipes irritated her,so I would just squirt baby lotion on to her bottom and wipe it off with soft tissues; the idea of using dry paper towels on a baby's bottom is just horrible!
Sounds as if these parents were being Frum on their babies cheshbon

sky

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:49 am

What a horrible way to talk about another yid! Eye rolling at someone who asked a legit question! Would you talk to someone in real life like that?

Many people (almost everyone I know) don’t use wipes. It doesn’t mean they abuse their babies.
I use a spray bottle to wet his bottom first. In fact my dr says it’s healthier then wipes. It’s so common they sell ready made spray in the store.

I just can’t understand why you would talk in such a horrible manner about someone’s rav.

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:57 am
I've been using pampers since my eldest was born 8.5 years ago and they've always had the wetness indicator, and no one has ever mentioned it as a problem. Our posek is fairly prominent in the world of Ashkenazi non-chassidish poskim, was shimush w/ R' Elyashiv zt"l. The notion came up but I was told it was not a problem. The "dying" is causing you to throw out the diaper, therefore it might be a "Destructive purpose" which is not usually problem. If you are allowed to use a baby/toddler to turn on/off a light on Shabbos, and we were told that we dont' have to stop them from playing with their muktza toys b/c they are too young learn about Shabbos, then I can't imagine why them using a diaper that can change color would be a problem.

Last edited by miami85 on Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:59 am
sky wrote:

I just can’t understand why you would talk in such a horrible manner about someone’s rav.

Don't listen to me. I eat fresh broccoli and strawberries. My birth control decisions are between me, my doctor, and DH.

Hashem gave me a brain for a reason. If you didn't get one, then carry on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics