Home

My daughter weighs 65 lbs and has to carry 28 lbs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:12 pm
Of school books and supplies for the first day of school!!!

Does anyone in the school even care?? How heartless could they be to ask for 3 loose leaves filled with loose leaf paper, a Chumash, siddur, navi, Tehillim, tanach , glue, markers, 24 pencils, many folders, 3 hole puncher , ruler, dictionary etc... she literally cannot lift her bag off the floor... her back will ache from all that weight. And the first day she will be stiff in her new uniform and shoes, waiting for her school bus with new driver who doesn’t know the route yet... then line up with her backpack still on her back until her class is assigned...

I just think it’s so heartless and makes the first day so hard for no reason

I wish someone would implement a change. Really wrong that the school allows the girls to carry all that. It’s beyond heavy even for an adult!
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:19 pm
She'll survive just like everyone else does. We all survived, it's one day. She doesn't have to wear her breifcase when waiting for the bus and she's anyways sitting on the bus. I didn't put everything in my kids breifcase. The sefarim they'll be holding in a bag.
Back to top

amother




Beige


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of school books and supplies for the first day of school!!!

Does anyone in the school even care?? How heartless could they be to ask for 3 loose leaves filled with loose leaf paper, a Chumash, siddur, navi, Tehillim, tanach , glue, markers, 24 pencils, many folders, 3 hole puncher , ruler, dictionary etc... she literally cannot lift her bag off the floor... her back will ache from all that weight. And the first day she will be stiff in her new uniform and shoes, waiting for her school bus with new driver who doesn’t know the route yet... then line up with her backpack still on her back until her class is assigned...

I just think it’s so heartless and makes the first day so hard for no reason

I wish someone would implement a change. Really wrong that the school allows the girls to carry all that. It’s beyond heavy even for an adult!


Is this why my kid's school has no transportation the first two days? So parents do the schlepping?

Seriously, why to you need to send all the supplies on the first day?Let them start with two pages in each section of the loose leaf, tehillem in the back of the siddur, two pencils, one folder, no hole puncher, etc - she surely doesn't need it all right away!
Back to top

chestnut




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:51 pm
Send it over 2-3 days
Back to top

amother




Aqua


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:59 pm
I never send full pack paper. We refill throughout year.
First day is just Hebrew. So all English supplies including dictionary goes second day to break up load
My girls school keep Chumash and Navi in school over summer which is so smart.
Back to top

shmosmom




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Sep 04 2019, 11:00 pm
Definitely either break it up between two days, or drive her the first day of school.
Back to top

cnc




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:05 am
Yes I totally agree!
My daughters briefcase weighed over 40 lbs!
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:03 am
If you have a rolling carry-on bag, send it with her the first day. If not, at least put the heavy sefarim in a separate bag. It doesn't all go on her back. Distribute the weight.

That does sound like a lot, especially the books. Perhaps you can split up the sefarim to different days and send a note to the teacher so she doesn't think they are forgotten/left out.
I do understand why they want everything the first day, it's so they can stay organized and make sure everyone has what they need. But sefarim should be able to be paced out better.
You definitely do not need to fill the binders with paper. Just put some paper in each and send a backup supply next week.

I'm bringing my kids to school to help with their stuff, but they're on their own from the door on up. Several flights of stairs. Oh well, it's one day, they'll manage.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:26 am
She shouldn't carry that much - it's very bad for her back. Please break it up, like everyone else suggested!
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 5:54 am
Talk to admins about doing supply drop off the day before school for next year. Many schools have lice check and supply drop off the day before school starts so the parents can help/ kids only bring half the first day.
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:39 am
OP, if you anyways need to take her to school the first day, why are you so hysterical? What's the issus?
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:58 am
I would drive your kids on the first day if you are able to. Or send a wheely.
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:49 am
This is why I had a Kipling rolling backpack since first grade. My grandmother insisted because it is never good to put anything on your back, unless you're training or a soldier.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:55 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Is this why my kid's school has no transportation the first two days? So parents do the schlepping?

Seriously, why to you need to send all the supplies on the first day?Let them start with two pages in each section of the loose leaf, tehillem in the back of the siddur, two pencils, one folder, no hole puncher, etc - she surely doesn't need it all right away!


Are you in NY where the public schools opened today?
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:28 am
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be about the IDF? I guess they get their training in early.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 6:50 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
This is why I had a Kipling rolling backpack since first grade. My grandmother insisted because it is never good to put anything on your back, unless you're training or a soldier.

But those are even harder and heavier to get up stairs. Most schools involve quite a bunch of stairs and elevators, if there are any, are reserved for people with disabilities and large deliveries/equipment.
Back to top

amother




Puce


Post  Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:06 pm
Didn't read the thread- but I recently heard an ad on the radio from a PT group warning parents about the weight of backpacks and how it can really hurt kids' backs, shoulders, legs, etc.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Marrying off my daughter - ami
by amother
30 Today at 12:54 am View last post
Underwear online for my daughter.
by amother
0 Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:59 pm View last post
What to give to cousin that babysat my daughter
by amother
12 Tue, Oct 01 2019, 9:51 pm View last post
Help me dress my 2 yr old daughter for YT!
by amother
60 Wed, Sep 25 2019, 12:35 am View last post
A PSA from my teenage daughter and me - sheitels
by amother
133 Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:58 pm View last post

Jump to: