Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Jessica Seinfeld's Cookbook (merged w/Sneaky Chef)
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:40 pm
Has anyone enjoyed any recipes from her cookbook, or is it selling bec. of name recognition?

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:44 pm
Considering that she stole the entire thing from another book, I can't imagine why people would buy it. Add to that the fact that it's just a bunch of celebrity hype (fueled by Oprah) and mostly common sense, I wouldn't spend my $. Puree veggies, add to things. Okay.

I have very little respect for Jessica Seinfeld. I thought I'd say that in case it wasn't obvious from my post. Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:45 pm
I thought it ws STUPID !!!!!!!!!

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:45 pm
Chocolate Moose said it better, and more succinctly, than I did.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:48 pm
my mother got it for me

and I said to her... Mom, thanks but really my kids love veggies, why would I hide more in their food??

Mevater

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:51 pm
Not a single worthwhile/creative recipe? Sheesh! She got 402 positive ratings on Amazon.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:53 pm
Theoretically it's prob a good idea, but please, no beets in my chocolate, okay?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 1:56 pm
I looked at the book - here's an example of a recipe - for french toast -

4 eggs (!!!)
4 pieces of whole wheat bread (a serving is one slice - not in my home)
1 TBS of sweet potato, or squash mush.

This is not a whole lot of veggies to me. Her whole book has ridiculous recipes - most are some sort of muffin or cake with 1 TBS of sweet potato mush. Take a look at B&N before you buy - that's what I did. I left it there.

Mevater

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 5:36 pm
SPINACH IN BLUEBERRY SQUARES?????????????????????

THIS IS HER IDEA OF COMEDY, I GUESS! HOW CAN SHE PULL ONE OVER EVERYONE AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK?

Mazel.

BTW I thought I read somewhere that he married s/o religious. Am I very wrong? Or did he date s/o religious at one time- by the name Shoshana?

technic

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 5:39 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
1 TBS of sweet potato, or squash mush.

HANDS OFF OUR SQUASH!!! Twisted Evil

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 6:11 pm
Is she Jewish, by any chance (just curious)..

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 6:13 pm
mimivan wrote:
Is she Jewish, by any chance (just curious)..

Yes, she's Jewish. Her name used to be Nina Sklar.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 7:48 am
I actually bought the sneaky chef book, the one Seinfeld "stole"from.
It's great because you can mask vegetables in lots of things because she chooses colors that go with the food. For example with mac and cheese she'll put in sweet potato and carrot so its the same color of the cheddar cheese. I also made a lasagna and snuck in cauliflower and zuccini because when pureed they are the same color of the cheese. She also has a great one for fish sticks. I love the book. The only problem is my kids wont eat meatballs, or burgers so cant sneak veggies into that.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:00 am
I was intrigued when I heard about it, but my kids won't eat regular french toast, let alone french toast with veggies in it.

cdawnr

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 10:34 am
I have the book ag ift from mil.

I love hte idea. My son will not touch veggies. Unfortunately, he won't eat many of the foods she suggests hiding it in either...but I liked the idea.

As far as she is concerned...well, as someone pointed out, she is Jewish...and yes, she has done things we all obviously don't agree with, but maybe it is best just to leave off the topic....

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 3:49 pm
Can you imagine a kid at a psychiatrist office years later..

"one day I walked in and saw mom putting spinach in the brownies...I think all my trust issues really stem from that. I mean, why couldn't she have just been honest?? Why all the deception?"

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:51 pm
Has anybody tried these cookbooks? The idea is that you puree vegetables (and fruits) and add them to regular recipes in amounts that you don't notice their presence, to boost the nutritional content.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 2:00 pm
I read an article about this idea...it was against the whole concept, since it might provide nutrition but it doesn't teach nutrition, and children who eat carrot brownies or beet mashed potatoes don't learn to eat carrots or beets, just brownies and mashed potatoes. Confused

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 2:28 pm
I could see a parent doing this out of sheer desperation.
Still, I would rather bribe a kid with some yummy (and somewhat healthy) dessert like pudding than to hide the veggies,b ecause as Crayon said, they won't be learning to eat healthy in the long run if the ingredients are hidden

Sometimes having kids help make the food helps inspire them to eat it. Opposite of hiding...
My son now eats carrots because he helped me grate the carrots for the kugel on Pesach Wink As long as I let him grate the carrots, he'll eat them.

ON another note. Does anyone know WHY so many kids hate vegetables?

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 2:29 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I read an article about this idea...it was against the whole concept, since it might provide nutrition but it doesn't teach nutrition, and children who eat carrot brownies or beet mashed potatoes don't learn to eat carrots or beets, just brownies and mashed potatoes. Confused

Hiding vegetables in recipes does not mean you cannot put vegetables on their plate. And that is what the author of D.D. says she does. But she's not as obsessed with her kids eating them which made meal time miserable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics