Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Rosh Hashana 5780 menu
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

eschaya

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:56 pm
NIGHT 1
Challah
Simanim: apples+honey, pom, dates, figs, sauteed leeks, piece salmon + head, honey glazed carrots, beet salad, sauteed cbg w/ noodles, black eye peas salad
Honey fig salmon
Lettuce salad (pom, apples, honey dressing)
---------
Butternut squash soup
---------
Corned beef
Chanis potatoes
Honey glazed carrots
Green beans
Pastrami peach chicken skewers
----------
Chocolate pomegranate trifle

DAY 1
Challah
Meatballs over jasmine rice
Marinated salad
----------
Honey garlic chicken fingers
Apple kugel
Purple cbg salad
Asian steak salad
Potato knish muffins
------------
Apple pie (bought)
Strawberry soup

NIGHT2
Challah
Simanim: apples+honey, pom, dates, figs, sauteed leeks, piece salmon + head, honey glazed carrots, beet salad, sauteed cbg w/ noodles, black eye peas salad
Lettuce salad (pom, apples, honey dressing)
Honey fig salmon
---------
Potato leek soup
---------
Silan braised roast with apples and leeks
Roasted butternut squash
Sauteed cabbage with noodles
Green beans
Pastrami peach chicken skewers
----------
PB mousse with choc pretzel crumbs

DAY 2
Challah
Beef egg rolls (bought)
Marinated salad
------------
Honey garlic chicken fingers
London broil
Spinach salad
Purple cbg salad
Pumpkin muffins
---------
Apples and honey mousse trifle
Strawberry soup

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:04 pm
dankbar wrote:
Does anyone have one yet?

I did a rough draft, prepared some dishes, but it's not final yet. It depends what I get to make.

Wow. I envy women who are such geshikta balabustas that they can wait for the last minute and pull it all off in 2-3 days.
I've been cooking for WEEKS and I'm still far from done. I'm always afraid I'll have last minute emergencies that will keep me out of the kitchen so I like to be done early.
This year I've dealt with a sprained ankle, a debilitating toothache, a last minute writing deadline, a sudden appointment to a gov't office.... I also have ADHD and my energy completely drains after 2 pm so I cram as much as I can into the mornings.
There are so few 'normal' days to cook between RH and Succos, it's always erev yomtov or the day after a yomtov and I do very poorly on those days.
So I started ages ago.
And I still have so much to do.....

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Ema of 4,
Please set an extra seat at your table. I will be joining you for all your meals. Your food sounds delicious!!!!

Unfortunately, I cannot make any of your recipes as DH is the worlds most uncreative, unimaginative eater who thinks he is still in 1920's Poland.
He doesn't not eat (and therefore I don't bother to cook, because I would need to make something for him and I don't like extra work)
Sweet potatoes/butternut squash/any squash, zucchini, or eggplant.
Fruit-mango/cranberries/pomegranate or anything else one might put on chicken, in a salad.....
Basil, cumin,curry, turmeric, chili pepper (taco seasoning)....
Quinoa, wild rice, farrow,.....

If his great grandparents didn't eat it in Poland, he is not eating it now!!!!

There are so many yummy recipes that don't use any of these ingredients.
Squash & sweet potato are the 2 things I take exception with, those are very common nowadays.
My menu doesnt include most of the things you listed and is delicious Smile

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:13 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Wow. I envy women who are such geshikta balabustas that they can wait for the last minute and pull it all off in 2-3 days.
I've been cooking for WEEKS and I'm still far from done. I'm always afraid I'll have last minute emergencies that will keep me out of the kitchen so I like to be done early.
This year I've dealt with a sprained ankle, a debilitating toothache, a last minute writing deadline, a sudden appointment to a gov't office.... I also have ADHD and my energy completely drains after 2 pm so I cram as much as I can into the mornings.
There are so few 'normal' days to cook between RH and Succos, it's always erev yomtov or the day after a yomtov and I do very poorly on those days.
So I started ages ago.
And I still have so much to do.....

Or you can be like me and make simple things that are in-line with your lifestyle and ability. Each meal has a ton of food even when done simply:
- a soup for the evening meal
- fish
- challah
- simanim
- one main
- one side (at night I do a cooked veg OR a kugel OR a rice and during he day I may do two
sides)
- a salad for the day meal
- One option for desert.

My mains are all simple - that's what we like best in my family. Rotisserie chicken, chicken with some kind of (usually bottled) sauce, etc.

I work full time and on Sundays, even erev RH, so I have to be simple, even if I WANTED to do more. My husband BH helps out too. And I make a few extra rolls of g fish for bikur cholim. But this is my time also and I want to enjoy and not be a shmatte.

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:17 pm
So let's hear your menu...mama bear?

This year I worked differently.

I usually make a menu first, and work off that.

This year, whenever I had a drop of time or energy, I tried to prepare some dishes, slowly & put into freezer & then figure out a menu from what I have.

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:22 pm
Okay. So besides the challah, gefilte fish / salmon fish, and chicken soup, I made or will make:

Sesame Duck Sauce Baked bottoms (For the night seudos)
Pickled chicken w/kishka roast
Sesame Duck Sauce chicken nuggets

Potato Kugel, Sweet lukshen kugel, apple cherry crumb cake, Veg mini kugels - will serve 2 of this list for night seudos
For the day seudos: 3-Pepper Orzo, Potato Knishes, carrot muffins, roasted veg - again, 2 of this list for each day seudah.

Dessert is either apple-pear-strawberry compote or tri-color sorbet.

I also made cream of chicken soup to alternate with the regular chicken soup, and carrot tzimmes to serve at most meals esp at night.

For succos I made different meats: Top of the Rib, and French Roast. I also want to make Boston Cream Pie for Succos iyh. There's still tons of rounds of challah and chicken soup that need to be made between RH and Succos and my mind is reeling to figure out when in the world to do all that, when we also have to cook for shabbos three times, wash tons of laundry, and keep the fighting kids who have no yeshiva occupied...

May we all have a Shana Tova Umesukah!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:24 pm
dankbar wrote:
So let's hear your menu...mama bear?

This year I worked differently.

I usually make a menu first, and work off that.

This year, whenever I had a drop of time or energy, I tried to prepare some dishes, slowly & put into freezer & then figure out a menu from what I have.

You hafta go shopping and have ingredients on hand in order to make stuff, so you had to have a shtickl menu ....

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
Or you can be like me and make simple things that are in-line with your lifestyle and ability. Each meal has a ton of food even when done simply:
- a soup for the evening meal
- fish
- challah
- simanim
- one main
- one side (at night I do a cooked veg OR a kugel OR a rice and during he day I may do two
sides)
- a salad for the day meal
- One option for desert.

My mains are all simple - that's what we like best in my family. Rotisserie chicken, chicken with some kind of (usually bottled) sauce, etc.

I work full time and on Sundays, even erev RH, so I have to be simple, even if I WANTED to do more. My husband BH helps out too. And I make a few extra rolls of g fish for bikur cholim. But this is my time also and I want to enjoy and not be a shmatte.

That is exactly what I've been doing, if you read my menu below. It's all so time consuming and overwhelming.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:27 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Okay. So besides the challah, gefilte fish / salmon fish, and chicken soup, I made or will make:

Sesame Duck Sauce Baked bottoms (For the night seudos)
Pickled chicken w/kishka roast
Sesame Duck Sauce chicken nuggets

Potato Kugel, Sweet lukshen kugel, apple cherry crumb cake, Veg mini kugels - will serve 2 of this list for night seudos
For the day seudos: 3-Pepper Orzo, Potato Knishes, carrot muffins, roasted veg - again, 2 of this list for each day seudah.

Dessert is either apple-pear-strawberry compote or tri-color sorbet.

I also made cream of chicken soup to alternate with the regular chicken soup, and carrot tzimmes to serve at most meals esp at night.

For succos I made different meats: Top of the Rib, and French Roast. I also want to make Boston Cream Pie for Succos iyh. There's still tons of rounds of challah and chicken soup that need to be made between RH and Succos and my mind is reeling to figure out when in the world to do all that, when we also have to cook for shabbos three times, wash tons of laundry, and keep the fighting kids who have no yeshiva occupied...

May we all have a Shana Tova Umesukah!

Is this for all of tishrei? or just RH? You have 3 chicken mains and 2 meat mains for 4 meals!, at least 8 sides, and 2 soups! And I lost count of the desserts.

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:29 pm
How do you do your pickled chicken roast with kishka?

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
Is this for all of tishrei? or just RH? You have 3 chicken mains and 2 meat mains for 4 meals!, at least 8 sides, and 2 soups! And I lost count of the desserts.

She wrote that she's keeping beef for sukkos
8 sides for 4 meals, is 2 sides per meal
Ices or compote for dessert

Fancy dessert she wrote she's doing for sukkos

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:38 pm
[quote="Mama Bear"]You hafta go shopping and have ingredients on hand in order to make stuff, so you had to have a shtickl menu ....[/quote

Basically whenever I was at store & saw items for sale, I decided to make a dish out of that item. When I actually was cooking, I kept running to grocery for missing ing

I see you also made a bunch of dishes & then you will decide which foods go for which meal

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:56 pm
watergirl wrote:

No, the chickens are for RH, and the meats are for Succos.
8 sides for 4 meals - 2 sides per meal.
1 soup per meal.

all sides are also for succos iyh. y es.

just 2 desserts.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:57 pm
[quote="dankbar"]
Mama Bear wrote:
You hafta go shopping and have ingredients on hand in order to make stuff, so you had to have a shtickl menu ....[/quote

Basically whenever I was at store & saw items for sale, I decided to make a dish out of that item. When I actually was cooking, I kept running to grocery for missing ing

I see you also made a bunch of dishes & then you will decide which foods go for which meal

yes, but I first drew up a list of sides I'd like to make.
Kugels for the night. One starch + 1 veggie or fruit pie for the days.

This year I did all the sides one week, the meats and desserts the 2nd week, focused on baking the 3rd week.

But then HaShem had other plans and I kept having to postpone things. and now, I simply ran out of room in my freezer Very Happy Bh.

But I'm still not done!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:03 pm
dankbar wrote:
How do you do your pickled chicken roast with kishka?

it's a ready filled roast from the butcher store, obviously. I first boiled it up twice & rinsed off the water to get out the super pickled taste -- it's way too strong.

Then I cooked it for like 3 hours in a pot with a million root veggies / soup veggies.
onions, garlic, celery, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc. I dont think I spiced it, it's already pickled and thus spicy enough.

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:11 pm
Interesting I never saw in any butcher a kishka filled roast

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:17 pm
dankbar wrote:
Interesting I never saw in any butcher a kishka filled roast

it's gotta be a new thing Smile. I bought it in Satmar on Bedford avenue.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:22 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I don’t think I ever made them so I can’t guarantee they are good. I thought I’ll give it a try.

42 oz frozen thawed spinach thawed and squeezed dry
1 lb firm tofu grated or finely chopped
1/2 bunch fresh checked parsley chopped or 3 tsp dry
1 bunch fresh checked dill chopped or 3 teaspoons dry
Scallions (it doesn’t say how much)
8 eggs beaten
1/2 cup light olive oil or canola oil
10 egg roll wrappers
2 cups canola oil or peanut oil for frying

Directions:
Mix spinach, tofu, scallions, parsley, dill and beaten eggs together.
Place one egg roll wrapper on your work surface , brush with olive oil and place spinach mixture in center of egg roll. Place filling diagonally in one corner of the wrapper . Fold that corner over the filling . Roll up wrapper halfway to cover filling . Fold in the two corners at each side of the wrapper. Moisten the edges of last corner with water . Roll over flap to seal. Lay flap side down until ready to cook.

In a 4-6 quart pot heat oil until very hot or it reads 350 degrees on a deep fry thermometer. Place 2 spinach wraps in the oil and fry until golden. Allow the oil to come back to 350 degrees before dropping in the next wraps. Rewarm uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Note: there is no mention of salt in the recipe. I would add a bit of salt.
Also rolling sounds complicated, so I will roll it the way I make blintzes.
Also, I would use 2 scallions chopped since the recipe directions mentions scallions but the ingredients didn’t.

Don’t bother with this recipe. I just made them and they are pretty blah. They need garlic and salt . It was a learning experience.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:20 pm
I do Prep and Rally so I am making some of her recipes and some of my own. I make the simanim in different ways and those are really our veggie side dishes throughout the yomtov. I dont believe in re inventing the wheel.

My basic menu is

Simanim: Roast baby carrots in rainbow colors, roasted beets cut in french fry shape, butter nut squash fries, kofta stuffed dates from millenial kosher, leek patties, Challah/Apple and honey and Pomegranate juice. I will get a fish head for actual fish I am making the Salmon bites from the mishpacha.

If I have time I will make chicken soup (we like it but its not a must for us)

For the proteins: A roast with a mixture of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, a chicken with date and olives, tongue egg rolls from mishpacha and will repurpose the roast into either tacos or pulled beef for the last meal.

For the starches: Farro with sauteed leeks and mushrooms and baby roasted potatoes.

We are 5 people for all the meals. No company

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:27 pm
Mama bear, I don't envy the people who leave everything for the last minute. There's enough what to do last minute. It must be extremely overwhelming to do "everything" from scratch the last minute
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur