Home

One year old keeps getting sick
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:32 am
He’s been getting ear infections, fevers, colds pretty much non stop. Is there anything I can do to build his immune system? Vitamins? Reflexology? I’m desperate!
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:35 am
How is his diet?
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:40 am
first thought is get him off dairy and give him probiotics!
Back to top

amother




Plum


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:44 am
Probiotics and elderberry syrup
Back to top

OOTforlife




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:59 am
Upping the frequency of handwashing never hurts.

Also, if he's in any kind of group care setting, you could explore whether they could make some small changes to their practices that might reduce the spread of germs.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:14 am
I'm already giving probiotics and elderberry, I wash his hands and face often and he's the only kid in his group that's sick. I try to reduce the dairy but he barely eats as it is but with dairy he eats more and better so I can't cut it out. His ent anyway didn't seem to think it was necessary.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:17 am
Recurring ear infections? Maybe take him to ENT to rule out fluid. The infections could be causing the fever.
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:21 am
My boys had constant ear infections. We discovered it was related to food allergies. We tested and they were allergic to dairy and eggs. As soon as I stopped eating anything that had those foods (I was nursing) and they stopped eating those foods, the ear infections stopped.
Back to top

amother




Orange


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:22 am
Has he been on Augmentin yet?
That cleared up my DDs ear infections. We also stopped giving a bottle (used a sippy cup with a straw) and took away her pacifier at around one. Had tubes scheduled and bh were able to cancel it.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Recurring ear infections? Maybe take him to ENT to rule out fluid. The infections could be causing the fever.


He has fluid and is scheduled for tubes but the wait was two months and in the meantime he keeps getting sick. I feel bad that he's in so much pain all the time!
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My boys had constant ear infections. We discovered it was related to food allergies. We tested and they were allergic to dairy and eggs. As soon as I stopped eating anything that had those foods (I was nursing) and they stopped eating those foods, the ear infections stopped.


Did they have any other symptoms? I keep wanting to test but he has no indication otherwise. Just lots of fluid which keep causing him to get sick.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:28 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Has he been on Augmentin yet?
That cleared up my DDs ear infections. We also stopped giving a bottle (used a sippy cup with a straw) and took away her pacifier at around one. Had tubes scheduled and bh were able to cancel it.


He's allergic to amoxocillin which means he can't get augmentin either. I wonder if there's a safe alternative for him to try. He only has one bottle at day, drinks from a regular cup the rest of the day.
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:29 am
Which elderberry do you give? Some are better than others. And I wouldn’t give the kids version. The full strength version tastes fine as well and is a lot more potent. You can mix it with juice if you’d like.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Which elderberry do you give? Some are better than others. And I wouldn’t give the kids version. The full strength version tastes fine as well and is a lot more potent. You can mix it with juice if you’d like.


Can you give me a link to a good one? And how soon do you see a difference? How much should I give a one year old?
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 1:44 pm
Quote:
Did they have any other symptoms? I keep wanting to test but he has no indication otherwise. Just lots of fluid which keep causing him to get sick.


Besides for one of my kids who is anaphylactic to dairy....it started with consistent ear infections from a very young age that would come back maybe a week after finishing antibiotics. They also got eczema, but it started with only ear infections.
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you give me a link to a good one? And how soon do you see a difference? How much should I give a one year old?


Nature's Way Original Sambucus Elderberry Syrup, Herbal Supplements, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, 8 Ounce (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001.....SPM2F

Nature's Answer Alcohol-Free Sambucus Supplement, Original, 16 Fluid Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018.....GP2W9

I used both.

I don’t remember how long it took to see a difference but when comparing winters, the seasons I gave my kids elderberry they were home (sick) way less often. They used to get sick all the time.

And when they do start showing symptoms, you can up the dose according to the instructions and symptoms are less severe and pass more quickly.
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:01 pm
And I’m not sure about dosage for a one year old. Check the label or ask a pharmacist or health specialist (I’d buy the first bottle at the pharmacy or health food store and ask them).
Back to top

studying_torah




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:05 pm
Try sanitizing or buying new bottles/nipples & pacifiers, sanitize the toys he plays with too.
Does he still mouth a lot? That could be spreading germs both at home & in daycare
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:27 pm
According to my pediatrician, it's always worth a trial of a few weeks off dairy before resorting to surgery. If he doesn't have a healthy diet overall, his immune system will suffer.
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:35 pm
Had he been checked for posterior tongue tie? Common cause of fluid build up in the ear and subsequent ear infections. Since the tongue is tethered too tightly, it can’t push as strongly against the palate when swallowing, and this pressure that is created (or lack of pressure) affects the clearing of fluid from the ears.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Does dh work on a school year calendar? What’s his summer
by amother
1 Today at 10:02 pm View last post
Nutritionist for 10 year old boy with adhd
by amother
5 Yesterday at 9:00 pm View last post
Playgroup in Flatbush for almost 2 year old
by amother
2 Yesterday at 7:51 pm View last post
Please everyone daven for a 5 year old girl w/ a brain tumor
by amother
7 Yesterday at 3:52 pm View last post
ISO online Shabbos clothing for 12 year old
by amother
1 Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:41 pm View last post

Jump to: