Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Pay hosts for electricity?

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 4:52 pm
Last shabbos we had guests sleep-over at my next door neighbor's apt. (they were out of town). We didn't know who these guests were- they needed a place for shabbos, and somehow found us, so we put them up and arranged meals for them. Anyway, on Shabbos I went into the apt. and it was FREEZING. I casually looked at the thermostat and it was set at 60'!!! I KNOW that the guests put it on that, because I had gone into the apt. before they arrived to set up the beds, shabbos table, etc. and then it was on about 75. Right when the guests packed out on Sunday, I went into the apt. and the thermostat was back on 75.
My concern is for my neighbors who will probably have an exorbitant electric bill this month from their a/c being blasted the whole shabbos! what should I do? do I have any responsibility in this?

queen

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 5:15 pm
oh my goodness!!!! you'd think these guests pay their own a/c bill at home, and would think twice before doing that on someone eles's expense!!!!!!!

anyway..... on your end, it is VERY nice that you thought about this/are concerned etc.

ElTam

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 7:03 pm
One day of A/C in an apt. shouldn't be THAT much of an expense. I might slip them a small amount of money.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 5:35 am
I also don't think the electric bill will be so much higher than normal, but you might want to apologize in advance and offer a few dollars - what could it cost already, $5-10? (I think that you might be halachically responsible for the expense, even though you don't know the guests, because you borrowed the apartment, but it would certainly be worth asking a shaila - don't take my word for it.)

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 5:52 am
I would do as sarahd suggests..

it always amazes me how easily ppl take things for granted....

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:37 am
Just to be dan lekaf zechus - they probably set the AC at 60 to cool the place off before shabbos and forgot to put it back at a normal temp before it was too late. Unless they had a medical condition or were morbidly obese, I don't know many people that like a house *that* cold. We know a man who weights around 500 lbs and he keeps his house like a freezer - but even that is set at 66.

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:48 pm
thanks, I guess I'll ask a shaila. I was thinking of just leaving $5 in their apt. before we locked it up. and I would have put it in their bedroom which our guests didn't use so my neighbors would think it was their own.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:21 pm
Chavamom, I like your view of being dan lekaf zchus, We really have to try to judge people favorably,

stem

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:32 pm
0613 wrote:
thanks, I guess I'll ask a shaila. I was thinking of just leaving $5 in their apt. before we locked it up. and I would have put it in their bedroom which our guests didn't use so my neighbors would think it was their own.

I wouldn't go into their own bedroom because of privacy. Better to put it on a table, counter, or bookcase.

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:55 pm
it's too late now, they're back home. but they had offered for our guests to use their bedroom. (we didn't end up taking them up on that offer) otherwise, you're right, I would have NEVER gone in.

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 4:06 pm
I asked our Rav, and he said that I should offer our neighbors $. So last night, I got up the guts to make the call. My neighbor was so sweet about it, and of course, wouldn't let me pay her. she said she was glad our guests felt comfortable and that's how she wanted it to be!

lucky

Post Wed, Oct 12 2005, 12:06 am
613, Good for you!! Now you have a clear conscience (sp).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics