Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is [non jew] not a PC word?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:52 pm
Squishy wrote:

Some orthodox women dress in pants, don't cover their heads, wear shirts above their elbows and below their collar bone. I would like to know they are orthodox, so I say good Shabbos rather than have a nice weekend.

What about this description equates to orthodox? Is it that they attend a shul that calls itself orthodox and that’s it? I really don’t understand this. It’s new to me.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
Often you need to know if someone is Yid or a g○y. We do things differently such as eating. I also like to know where someone is holding in their Judaism. It is not to judge them. It's because I don't want to say something inadvertently offensive.

Some orthodox women dress in pants, don't cover their heads, wear shirts above their elbows and below their collar bone. I would like to know they are orthodox, so I say good Shabbos rather than have a nice weekend.

So you walk up to someone and say "are you a g○y"?

singleagain

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:57 pm
I recently got an email from someone asking for one of my co-workers numbers. I either hope that he really thinks if it as innocent. Or that it was a typo and he meant to ask for the "guy's number"

On the other hand someone else once said something like "....for a Shaygitz(?)" I had to ask someone else what Shaygitz was since I don't speak yiddish and then I thought, wow that is offensive

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
What about this description equates to orthodox? Is it that they attend a shul that calls itself orthodox and that’s it? I really don’t understand this. It’s new to me.

so not relevant to whether or not to say "good shabbos" to a person.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:59 pm
I didn't know it was considered by anyone to be offensive till I joined this site. Growing up, it was used the same way we say shabbos instead of Saturday, or shul instead of synagogue. Literally the same meaning, no connotation at all, just the Yiddish/Hebrew version of the word.

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:00 pm

This should be in the alien thead.

I have learned on imamother that if they keep kosher, keep shabbos and keep TH, they are considered orthodox. This is important to know.

I see nothing wrong with knowing someone's religion unlike some.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:01 pm
Squishy wrote:

Yeah Sad

People assume things about me *just* because I wear short sleeves (overheat easily). When you look at a photo of 1952 Bais Yaakov of BP graduation, they’re ALL wearing short sleeves!

My ophthalmologist (frum) was like, “take care, nice to meet you,” when the appointment was Friday afternoon and all over the office people were wishing each other good shabbos. I was like, just because of my t-shirt? Come on, man!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:02 pm
If POC are allowed to mock white people, Jews should be allowed to use "non jews".

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
This should be in the alien thead.

I have learned on imamother that if they keep kosher, keep shabbos and keep TH, they are considered orthodox. This is important to know.

I see nothing wrong with knowing someone's religion unlike some.

They?

who takes issue with knowing someone's religion? What on earth does that have to do with the word [non jew]?

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:06 pm

Keeping shabbat, kosher, and taharat hamishpacha (if applicable) is generally what makes you Orthodox.

In many places in Europe, Russia, South Africa, and South America, everyone goes to an Orthodox shul (when they do), so that alone would not make you Orthodox.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:09 pm
sequoia wrote:

- Moishe! Did you hear? The gоyim went to the moon!
- All of them?!

I laughed I out loud Smile

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:10 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s a ridiculous argument. By your reasoning, since some people use the derogatory terms “dirty Jew,” or “Jew boy,” does that mean the word “Jew” is a bad word too???
The word means “nation” and is by no means a bad word. This is people bending over backwards trying to convince themselves they’re not racists.

Jew is not PC. Jewish is.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:12 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s a ridiculous argument. By your reasoning, since some people use the derogatory terms “dirty Jew,” or “Jew boy,” does that mean the word “Jew” is a bad word too???
The word means “nation” and is by no means a bad word. This is people bending over backwards trying to convince themselves they’re not racists.

In your examples, there was a qualifier- dirty, boy....there was another word with Jew. In cases where the word go-y is being used, it IS the qualifier itself. It IS the derogatory word.
I can’t tell you the last time I heard a sentence like “that go-y over there was so nice to me, he really helped me out a lot.” Most people who use the term go-y do it on purpose, to give a certain meaning.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:14 pm
nchr wrote:
Jew is not PC. Jewish is.

What? So you would say “I am Jewish” rather than saying “I am a Jew”?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:27 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

I do. I wouldn't say "I am a Jew so please order a kosher meal for me".

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:31 pm
Dont know

I don't see a problem with the word itself. I would think it would only be problematic if used in a derogatory way. But to my children, I use the words "Yid" and "[non jew]." These are just descriptive terms. I think it's completely appropriate to differentiate between different types of people.

But I do teach them not to use that word in public, because I understand that some people might take it negatively.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:42 pm
On imamother, there are numerous posters who converted to Judaism but have family members who they love who are not Jewish and it is offensive to them if non-Jews are spoken about in a negative way.

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:43 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

Right. I remember a Christian co worker was at my family's Chassidishe tenoyim when she overheard my cousin say, "Jews do this..." in regard to some minhag. The coworker was flabbergasted as she had be taught never to say the word "Jew" just like you wouldn't use the K or N word...

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:44 pm
southernbubby wrote:
On imamother, there are numerous posters who converted to Judaism but have family members who they love who are not Jewish and it is offensive to them if non-Jews are spoken about in a negative way.

I agree. Don't speak negatively.

But is the word [non jew] inherently negative? If I tell my child, "g0yim don't have the mitzva of shabbos, just yidden do," is that insulting? Or just differentiating?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:49 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I didn't know it was considered by anyone to be offensive till I joined this site. Growing up, it was used the same way we say shabbos instead of Saturday, or shul instead of synagogue. Literally the same meaning, no connotation at all, just the Yiddish/Hebrew version of the word.

Same.
I have a memory of being a six year old and my father’s non Jewish parents were visiting. He served them breakfast and I watched my grandfather bite into a slice of bread. And ever so innocently and inquisitively asked “Grandpa, why didn’t you wash and make a bracha? It’s because you are a [gentile], right?” My parents didn’t know where to put themselves.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics