Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How often do you call/ text your married DC?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:26 pm
?

agreer

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:10 pm
Months 1-2: Rarely, let them initiate contact
Months 3-6: Start to warm up, but never at night or when I know they're spending quality time together
Months 6-12: As often as I feel appropriate, but again, not at night or on Sundays when DSIL is off from work

Of course, unless it's a quick text/call to let them know about Aba's birthday or someone had a baby/is engaged, etc.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:21 pm
Im 2nd to oldest of a big family. My parents are very busy I try to make an effort to call my mom 1-2 times a week. If she hasnt heard from me in a few days shell check in with a text. If I have a kid home sick or something else going on shell check in at the end of the day. My dad commutes so hell call on his commute every 2-3 weeks just to say hi.
Dh is the youngest. His parents check in on him 2-3 times daily. Happy those are not my parents. Id get super annoyed but he doesnt mind it. If he goes 24 hours w.o answering their call they will call or text me worried about him...
Married 6 years

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:34 pm
My mother called once a day and it was so annoying and stifling.
I didn't pick up the calls and eventually she got the message.
Now we speak every Friday, and during the week when either of us have something to share.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:23 pm
I call my Mom every night when I walk the dog for 20 minutes. Less often than once a week, we skip a night. Sometimes we talk longer, and occasionally we talk in between. I call my father once or twice a week, and typically talk for about an hour. I don't remember how often we talked before, or when I left it up to them:)

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:29 pm
I call my mother or she calls me almost every day. Text usually a lot more often, but can go days without texting. She is usually understanding though if I'm not available to talk.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:14 pm
agreer wrote:
Months 1-2: Rarely, let them initiate contact
Months 3-6: Start to warm up, but never at night or when I know they're spending quality time together
Months 6-12: As often as I feel appropriate, but again, not at night or on Sundays when DSIL is off from work

Of course, unless it's a quick text/call to let them know about Aba's birthday or someone had a baby/is engaged, etc.

Omg please adopt me

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:24 pm
I'm the oldest of a small family and the only married one. We talk on the phone 2-3 times a week unless there's something unusual. My mother doesn't have a cell phone so no texting. I Skype with my mother and siblings so they can see the kids like 3 times a week or so. Married 3.5 years

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:14 am
Mom demands I call at least x2 a day. Gets upset if not. & occasionally will call sometime during the day to make sure I’m alive... she knows I’m very busy and if she doesn’t hear from me she still gets upset. Half of the time I call she’s busy and plenty of time I don’t have much to share so ends up a bit awkward...

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:54 am
Depends. We have a family WhatsApp group so texting happens daily.
Speak to marrieds once or twice a week. They initiate.
Also video call to see grandchildren. A couple of my DIL’s are very close to me so they initiate calls & texts. One doesn’t so we speak when we see each other.
Post baby , emergency situations they all know where to turn!
BH with a big family I’m on the phone all day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics