Home

Eating alone at a restaurant/pizza store
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Miscellaneous

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


zaq




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:54 am
Blessing1 wrote:
The only place I think it may be strange to eat alone is at a fancy fine dining resteraunt.


Why? Why shouldn’t a person be able to treat herself to an elegant meal just because she doesn’t have anyone she wants to join her? Maybe she davka wants to eat alone and enjoy the pampering without having to make small talk and calculate splitting the bill. Maybe she works with cranky people all day and revels in the soothing environment of fine dining at a table for one. Why should she have to settle for a pizza joint or takeout at her kitchen table?
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:20 am
L25 wrote:
my dh will go alone to a restaurant near our house. I sometimes wonder if people wonder why my dh is eating out by himself when everyone knows I'm a SAHM and its right by my house but: its a specific type of food that I'm not always in the mood for but he loves, he will often decide to go spur of the moment, and he likes to just go eat and get on with his day.

I can't imagine anyone speculating about this, and your DH certainly doesn't owe anyone an explanation for why he is eating in a restaurant.
Back to top

Zehava




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:23 am
All the time, if I’m out on the street and get hungry. I don’t see anyone else doing it but that’s fine by me.
Back to top

mommyla




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:40 am
When I was single, I took myself out for lunch in Boro Park on a visit from OOT. My BP-native friend was horrified that I would do something so weird, and I was stared at the entire time. Oh well, didn't hurt my confidence (or my shidduch prospects LOL despite the protests of the aforementioned friend, who insisted that it would look bad, but I managed to get married before she did LOL).

I still do it once in a while, but I usually have a kid with me.
Back to top

vicki




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:46 am
With no insult intended, thinking that it is odd to see someone alone ANYWHERE is immature.
There are people in all phases of life.
Anyone in a single/divorced/widowed state needs to find a friend before they can try the newest restaurant or ice cream shop?
Ridiculous!
And while you're at it, check out that new double feature in the cinema. By yourself!
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:04 pm
vicki wrote:
With no insult intended, thinking that it is odd to see someone alone ANYWHERE is immature.
There are people in all phases of life.
Anyone in a single/divorced/widowed state needs to find a friend before they can try the newest restaurant or ice cream shop?

Ridiculous!
And while you're at it, check out that new double feature in the cinema. By yourself!

I don't even see why this is even a factor.

Married people can also eat ice cream without a chaperone. No justification needed!

Anyone who spends so much time speculating about such issues every time they see someone eating ice cream, having a slice of pizza, or using a public restroom is a total nosy-body whose opinion should not carry much weight.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:21 pm
Not to mention that most people do not even notice who is eating and what is going on at others tables in the restaurant. People are usually preoccupied with their own company and food.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:53 pm
vicki wrote:

And while you're at it, check out that new double feature in the cinema. By yourself!


They still show double features?
Couple years ago I finally went to a movie by myself as dh had to work and a film I really wanted to see was in its final run. I missed dh but had a wonderful time.
Back to top

Plonis




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:07 pm
dankbar wrote:
I once saw a guy order an entire pie of pizza to his table, was sure he is expecting company. Lo & behold, he had the entire thing for himself!

I could probably eat close to a pie myself too, but would be too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone else. I envy his self-confidence!
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:18 pm
Plonis wrote:
I could probably eat close to a pie myself too, but would be too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone else. I envy his self-confidence!

I don't think it's self confidence. I think it's also more of a man thing to do. You ever saw a woman eating an entire pie? Thank Hashem for the middah of embarrassment, it's a jewish trait.
Back to top

gold21




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:27 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
The only place I think it may be strange to eat alone is at a fancy fine dining resteraunt.


Agreed.

At a fast food place, it's not weird at all to grab a bite to eat alone. Why go hungry when there's yummy food to be had? I would totally do it. I mean, why not? It's casual dining. Lots of people enjoy their own company when eating casually.

At a more upscale formal place, where people often make reservations.... dimmed lights... that type of scene... yes, it would perhaps appear a bit strange to eat alone, since the setting is so formal.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:47 pm
gold21 wrote:


At a more upscale formal place, where people often make reservations.... dimmed lights... that type of scene... yes, it would perhaps appear a bit strange to eat alone, since the setting is so formal.


I repeat, why is this weird.? Uncommon, yes, but hardly weird. Just because a person has no desire or opportunity for dining company is no reason why s/he should have to forgo a fine dining experience. Some people enjoy treating themselves well. Where one person may choose to treat herself to a day at a spa—would you say doing that alone is weird?—someone else may luxuriate in being served superb food in a relaxed, elegant setting at leisure to listen to her own thoughts without the stress of making nice to anyone but herself. Just because this scenario of solitary splendor doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t make it weird.
Back to top

hotzenplotz




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:07 pm
mommyla wrote:
When I was single, I took myself out for lunch in Boro Park on a visit from OOT. My BP-native friend was horrified that I would do something so weird, and I was stared at the entire time. Oh well, didn't hurt my confidence (or my shidduch prospects LOL despite the protests of the aforementioned friend, who insisted that it would look bad, but I managed to get married before she did LOL).

I still do it once in a while, but I usually have a kid with me.



I am a Boro Park native and I take myself to breakfast or brunch to spoons.
No one bats an eyelash.
Back to top

Flip Flops




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:27 pm
Ok, I guess I'm gonna be the only one on this thread to say that I would feel super weird eating alone. I wouldn't mind eating a danish and coffee alone while working or studying, but I'd feel stupid eating a slice of pizza alone in a restaurant.
All the boys I know do it all the time, though.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:04 pm
I would totally not think anyone is strange.
But wouldn’t do it myself.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:08 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think it's self confidence. I think it's also more of a man thing to do. You ever saw a woman eating an entire pie? Thank Hashem for the middah of embarrassment, it's a jewish trait.


Huh? Yes, women can eat an entire pie of pizza. There is a lot of judgment in this post.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:39 pm
nchr wrote:
Huh? Yes, women can eat an entire pie of pizza. There is a lot of judgment in this post.

I’ve always wanted to try it!
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Miscellaneous

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help me with super healthy eating resources
by artsy
1 Today at 9:44 am View last post
Cheapest pizza in Boro Park?
by amother
13 Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:07 am View last post
Which Brooklyn store sells Tam Tams made in the USA?
by amother
1 Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:00 am View last post
Selling store furnishings-advice
by eema1
0 Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:09 am View last post
Looking for Florist or Gift Store Recommendation in Toronto
by amother
5 Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:48 pm View last post

Jump to: