Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to consider growth hormones?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:19 am
DS was diagnosed ISS and was falling off the charts. Our insurance didn't cover but some pharmaceutical companies offer a patient assistance care for those who can't afford and insurance doesn't cover. Our doctor helped us with that and BH everything has been working, DS has been growing!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 10:02 am
giselle wrote:
5’2 is pretty average in frum circles. 6’4 as a woman? That’s super tall. Nothing against it, but she will definitely stick out. Although maybe you like that...

My sister-in-law is 6 feet and we all feel bad for her. She also feels very self conscious about her height and tends to slouch. Can't imagine 6'4"! But we love her!! I personally prefer short to unusually tall. I prefer men not taller than 6'.
But, like ra_mom says, different strokes for different folks!
I'm 5'3" and love my height. Not too tall, not too short. Just right.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Maybe Jewish men in England are shorter than in the US? Certainly sounds like it from this thread. Lol.

6ft is above average where I live. 5"6 is certainly not considered a disadvantage at all in my circles, never heard of such a thing!

So weird. People must be shorter by you lol

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 11:12 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Maybe Jewish men in England are shorter than in the US? Certainly sounds like it from this thread. Lol.

6ft is above average where I live. 5"6 is certainly not considered a disadvantage at all in my circles, never heard of such a thing!

Average height in the US is 5'4 for a woman and 5'9 for man, but that includes individuals of Asian and Hispanic descent who may be immigrants and may have had diseases like measles, etc. or poor pediatric care, which stunt growth and impact height. Accordingly, for a white individual of European decent, average is more like 5'6 for a woman and 5'11 for a man.

5'6 is very short for a man, it is like a woman who is 5'1. Some people don't care about these things, but some do. For my children, I wouldn't consider a bochur under 6'0 or a girl under 5'7 but would obviously have a discussion with them about it and see if it bothers them. Vain or not, it is what it is...

Last edited by nchr on Fri, Nov 08 2019, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 11:19 am
My child has been in the 3rd-5th percentile for height since toddlerhood. A few years ago, his pediatrician recommended that he go to an endo to make sure everything's fine and it's not a sign of something concerning. He's been getting checked out there every 12-18 months- they measure him, do a bone scan, etc. They were saying that we should probably just expect him to have his growth spurt a year later than his peers, but at his most recent check up, dr said he is already seeing some signs of puberty and that we wouldn't want that to happen first, so in that case, they may recommend a hormone. My initial reaction years ago was "no way! Who cares if he's short?" but since then I've spoken to people and learned that height, especially for a guy, can be a very sensitive thing, and I don't want him to be upset as a 5'2" adult (to give an idea, he's an 11 year old now wearing size 7/8 clothing), wondering why we didn't take advantage of an opportunity when we could have. Obviously if it comes to that, we will do more research, but I'm leaning more toward yes if we are talking about something that can impact his self-esteem, confidence, and the way he is perceived by others.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:27 pm
I'm 4'10 and bh it doesn't really effect my life. Husband is 5'4 I would say it's much harder for a man to be short. Our kids are bh growing beautifully, average height. My pediatrician did not push GH because of the risks. I would love being 2 inches taller though and would probably take the shots if asked now.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:38 pm
nchr wrote:
For my children, I wouldn't consider a bochur under 6'0 or a girl under 5'7 but would obviously have a discussion with them about it and see if it bothers them. Vain or not, it is what it is...

You are very tiny in your priorities. How shallow!

honeymoon

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:45 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Hey, that wasn't too nice. You (and I) may disagree with her but that doesn't invalidate her opinion.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:59 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Honestly, you dont know me, and I dont think I an shallow based on one opinion. I also would care very much about middos. However, a person is allowed to be honest about something when they are going to be married to someone. I'd also like to point out that I would be extremely hurt if my children ever made a rude comment or made fun of a child for anything, including being short because that is intolerable.

giselle

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 2:46 pm
nchr wrote:
Honestly, you dont know me, and I dont think I an shallow based on one opinion. I also would care very much about middos. However, a person is allowed to be honest about something when they are going to be married to someone. I'd also like to point out that I would be extremely hurt if my children ever made a rude comment or made fun of a child for anything, including being short because that is intolerable.

Perhaps you don’t realize, but your tone in your comments has been very condescending toward short people (and even people of average height!).

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 3:35 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm 4'10 and bh it doesn't really effect my life. Husband is 5'4 I would say it's much harder for a man to be short. Our kids are bh growing beautifully, average height. My pediatrician did not push GH because of the risks. I would love being 2 inches taller though and would probably take the shots if asked now.

Honestly I am just a bit taller then you but under 5 feet I am short and ok with it. Never had the option to go on growth hormones and my pediatrician didn't recommend it. But I will never say it doesn't affect me driving a car I need a pillow to bost me and even if I put down the sun viser the glare gets me Bec I sit shorter. It's hard to reach things in the store so yes I will climb the shelves but not if I am pregnant so I need to wait for someone to walk past me then ask them to help or go track down a store employee. needing a chair to reach my cabinets when u have guests I have them reach things for me . Also I had drs tell me I would need a c- section Bec I am short Can't Believe It but thank goodness I stood my ground on that.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 4:45 pm
Op you need to discuss with endocrinologist and do all the appropriate testing. Then you can see if it's something you want to do.
Been there done that.
My son is very short for his age. But we did bloodwork, bone age scan and brain MRI. All came back fine. He's 2 years behind in his bone age which means he still has time to grow.
We aren't giving anything for now. This thread is reminding me to schedule a follow up. Thank you.
We used Dr. Elka Jacobson-Dickman upon my pediatrician's recommendation. At the time she was working in Maimonides. But she is since working elsewhere, I need to track her down.

My husband was also short till about 16. Then he shot up. He still grew after age 20! So I'm not rushing to give anything.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:43 pm
giselle wrote:
Perhaps you don’t realize, but your tone in your comments has been very condescending toward short people (and even people of average height!).

I think it is how you are reading it. We're having a discussion on a thread, not a conversation in real life. This is obviously not a topic you can ever have in real life, but on a message board, it is fine to discuss something without any emotions.

Laiya

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:11 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Hey, that wasn't too nice. You (and I) may disagree with her but that doesn't invalidate her opinion.

I think when people have posted on a thread that they, their dh or dc are short or average height, then it's inappropriate for a poster to post that she would not want a shidduch with someone like them for her dc.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:11 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Op you need to discuss with endocrinologist and do all the appropriate testing. Then you can see if it's something you want to do.
Been there done that.
My son is very short for his age. But we did bloodwork, bone age scan and brain MRI. All came back fine. He's 2 years behind in his bone age which means he still has time to grow.
We aren't giving anything for now. This thread is reminding me to schedule a follow up. Thank you.
We used Dr. Elka Jacobson-Dickman upon my pediatrician's recommendation. At the time she was working in Maimonides. But she is since working elsewhere, I need to track her down.

My husband was also short till about 16. Then he shot up. He still grew after age 20! So I'm not rushing to give anything.

We also used Dr. Jacobson upon our pediatrician's recommendation. I was really impressed.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:21 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
We also used Dr. Jacobson upon our pediatrician's recommendation. I was really impressed.

Do you know where she practices now? I'd love to follow up with her. At the time of my last appointment she wasn't allowed to tell me where she's going.

nchr

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:40 pm
Laiya wrote:
I think when people have posted on a thread that they, their dh or dc are short or average height, then it's inappropriate for a poster to post that she would not want a shidduch with someone like them for her dc.

I really apologize for that then. I did not intend for it to come across or be taken that way. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:25 pm
Laiya wrote:

I agree. Yet the way it was worded was pretty sharp and insulting. She could have disagreed with what nchr said, not attack her as a person.

giselle

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:42 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I think it is how you are reading it. We're having a discussion on a thread, not a conversation in real life. This is obviously not a topic you can ever have in real life, but on a message board, it is fine to discuss something without any emotions.

If you wouldn’t say it in real life, don’t say it hiding behind an anonymous screen name online.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:17 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Do you know where she practices now? I'd love to follow up with her. At the time of my last appointment she wasn't allowed to tell me where she's going.

No. I had no idea she left. Wouldn't your pediatrician know?
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics