Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What's the best guitar on under $500 range?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:32 am
Hi all. I'd love to learn to play guitar - just for fun. This would be my first instrument and I'm not planning on getting another guitar ever again. If you play and especially if you're a teacher what brand ( model) would you suggest in under $500. Thank you!!!

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:35 am
Hmmm...I like classical guitar, and a found a moderate level Spanish handmade guitar for around $300 when I first got it. The sound is excellent, and worth the investment

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:38 am
I had an Epiphone , I would recommend it

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:39 am
Get a basic Fender gig pack, $300 range. Smooth rich sound, the brodge is close to the body (making the strings lower down and easier to press on - very important for beginners!).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:43 am
That was fast Surprised
Thank you for replies, ladies. What about Yamaha guitars?

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That was fast Surprised
Thank you for replies, ladies. What about Yamaha guitars?

Also fine. For a beginner’s guitar there’s really no reason to spend as much money as you were willing to part with. You can get a very decent sound for a very reasonable price. Go to the guitar center and talk to the people who work there, they really know their stuff!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:02 am
watergirl wrote:
Also fine. For a beginner’s guitar there’s really no reason to spend as much money as you were willing to part with. You can get a very decent sound for a very reasonable price. Go to the guitar center and talk to the people who work there, they really know their stuff!

Thank you!

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:21 am
Have you considered an inexpensive "kit" (instrument, case/box, extra strings, pick, etc.) of the kind often offered by department/sports/electronic stores? They usually run between $80 and $150 but don't come in a wide range of colour finishes. Or you could try the "used" section of a regular music store (much better woodgrain colour choices). Or a pawn shop.
Good luck and enjoy your instrument once you get it. Prepare for sore finger pads until you get your first calluses, though. I've heard a professional guitarist say in an interview that he finds soaking his fingertips in vinegar soothing. My first guitar was a classical (wide neck) and I think it's a Yamaha. I like its low action (short string-to-fingerboard distance). Other brands may be just as good, though.
Accessories you may need to buy separately: capo and pitch pipe.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:53 pm
I love my Monoprice guitars. Idyllwild is their acoustic range, Indio is electric. They go on sale sometimes, and there are occasionally coupon codes.

For a first guitar, you don't want to be spending a lot of money, but you want to make sure that you get one that is very playable. That means the frets, nut and bridge matter more than the body material. (The wood is often a huge part of the price of the more expensive guitars.)

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 2:55 pm
If you're a beginner, I recommend getting a knockoff of the Glider capo on Aliexpress.

Ridethewaves

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:10 pm
I’ll suggest an ovation or fender guitar. Also think it’s a great idea to go into a guitar store like Sam ash. The workers are almost always nice and helpful.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:35 pm
I tell my beginning guitar students to start at a music store, hear what they suggest, strum a few guitars. Then, if you have the time and want to save some money, look on craigslist or whatever for used instruments. As long as you can see it and play it before buying, you probably come out ahead. And if you don't want to risk that, you've had some choices from the store.

It's worth it to buy a case (hard shell if you'll be traveling with your instrument, backpack soft shell if not), an instruction book, an extra set of strings, and a clip-on electric tuner. There are other helpful extras (a capo, a metronome, some picks and a pick holder, a stand, a string replacer tool), but those aren't as immediately useful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts