Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Moussaka: Tomato-Eggplant Casserole

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:23 am
Normally moussaka contains meat so this is a great way to get almost the same flavor profile without the meat. It's like a Greek lasagna but with eggplant instead of pasta

Moussaka: Tomato-Eggplant Casserole

Excerpt From: Carla Hall - Carla's Comfort Foods.

Serves 8

For years, I didn’t do too much with eggplant. I had had enough of it when I started out at the Henley Park Hotel restaurant. I was the low man on the totem pole there, so every day, I had to really finely julienne eggplant skins and deep-fry and salt them for a pretty garnish. I’ve since recovered and can’t get enough of this particular dish. My Chew co-host Michael Symon made an amazing lamb version on the show. If you’re a regular viewer of The Chew, you’ll know that it was Michael’s moussaka that I stole from the staff fridge! Oops! I couldn’t get enough of it! I figured I’d better make my own and decided to make the eggplant the star of the dish. I ditched the meat for hearty quick-cooking bulgur, which adds a satisfying chew to the mix and makes this filling enough to be a main course.

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
3 large globe eggplants, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup bulgur
One 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 cups Vegetable Stock or store-bought unsalted vegetable broth
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3 large eggs, beaten
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Arrange the broiler rack 6 inches from the heat source. Preheat the broiler.

Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over it. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer in the pan, then brush the tops with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Broil, turning once, until both sides are nicely browned, about 15 minutes. Remove the eggplant and turn the oven to 350°F.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the bulgur and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, oregano, and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir the ricotta, yogurt, Parmigiano-Reggiano, eggs, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well mixed.

To assemble the moussaka: Spread a third of the tomato sauce in a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Arrange half of the eggplant on top, overlapping the slices slightly. Repeat the layers and then spread the remaining sauce on top. Dollop the ricotta mixture over the sauce and gently spread it to cover the top.

Bake until the top is golden and the liquid bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals