Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What would you do with this dress?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:42 pm
https://www.macys.com/shop/pro.....tails

To deal with the sleeves. It's going to look funny with a shell, especially since it'll be very difficult to find a shell in that color.

I'm short, so it covers my knees by 3 inches.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:44 pm
I wouldn't buy it, honestly. I don't think there's any way to make it look good and also cover everything that you need to cover.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I wouldn't buy it, honestly. I don't think there's any way to make it look good and also cover everything that you need to cover.

I already did, and the body looks great on me. Is there really no way to salvage it?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:47 pm
In that case I would buy something to wear over it, not under it. Something with texture, like velvet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:47 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
In that case I would buy something to wear over it, not under it. Something with texture, like velvet.

You mean like a shrug? Wouldn't that look funny with the sleeves, which are slightly puffed? (Not exactly... I can't describe it, but they're a little raised. You can't see it in the picture.)

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:48 pm
No, something more structured than a shrug.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:49 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
No, something more structured than a shrug.

Like what? I don't want to cover the whole dress.

Librarian

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:49 pm
If it's inexpensive you can buy another and make sleeves from the fabric of the second dress.

jflower

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:50 pm
Would you consider getting a white shrug to wear over the dress?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:53 pm
You can add on flowy/bell-shaped silky white sleeves OR wear a black bolero on top.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You mean like a shrug? Wouldn't that look funny with the sleeves, which are slightly puffed? (Not exactly... I can't describe it, but they're a little raised. You can't see it in the picture.)

It's the zipper in the back that's the problem.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:56 pm
I love layering a structured dress over a crisp white shirt. Don’t worry about “oh but short sleeves over long sleeves is not on trend now”- it’s a great look and can be finished off with a long strand of pearls or even a nice scarf at the neck.

You can also buy a blazer to wear over it, maybe black or white.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:05 pm
Librarian wrote:
If it's inexpensive you can buy another and make sleeves from the fabric of the second dress.

It's $50. By the time I buy it and pay a seamstress to alter it, it'll make a relatively inexpensive dress become more expensive. I don't know if I want to go through all that.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:05 pm
Cut off the sleeves and wear a long sleeve black shell/ turtle neck underneath.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-crewneck-fit-flare-dress?ID=8775277&lid=pdp_details

To deal with the sleeves. It's going to look funny with a shell, especially since it'll be very difficult to find a shell in that color.

I'm short, so it covers my knees by 3 inches.

I trusted you on the length.

Wear it with a cardigan or blazer. It will cover the shoulders, so no worries there.

happyfaces

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:07 pm
Short black Blazer, with black belt

Last edited by happyfaces on Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:10 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Cut off the sleeves and wear a long sleeve black shell/ turtle neck underneath.

I thought of that, but the sleeves puff out a bit on top of the shoulder, so cutting off those sleeves might look stupid. It looks a little different on than in the picture.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:11 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I love layering a structured dress over a crisp white shirt. Don’t worry about “oh but short sleeves over long sleeves is not on trend now”- it’s a great look and can be finished off with a long strand of pearls or even a nice scarf at the neck.

You can also buy a blazer to wear over it, maybe black or white.

I'm not usually fond of the look, but I'll try it out and see if it looks good on me.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already did, and the body looks great on me. Is there really no way to salvage it?

Can you afford to buy a second one? I once found a dress that looked awesome on my body type, it wasn't too expensive, and end up buying two and using the second dress as material to add to the sleeves. Doesn't look added.

Otherwise find a shell in the exact shade.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you afford to buy a second one? I once found a dress that looked awesome on my body type, it wasn't too expensive, and end up buying two and using the second dress as material to add to the sleeves. Doesn't look added.

It was $50 and still is on the website. Not sure if I want to buy another one... is it really worthwhile?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics