Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do people feel the need to go out Motzei Shabbat?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 8:59 pm
What is it about Saturday nights that people feel the need to go out and depressed if they don’t go out?
Do you go out on Saturday nights? If yes then how would you do it if you have a newborn?

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:02 pm
Some ppl don’t have eirev &stayibg locked indoors (in winter)with family kids -then we sometimes need to air out:)
Simple

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:02 pm
On a more spiritual level, I once learned that this urge to go out comes from the neshama yeseira which left when Shabbos ended. People feel the void and need to fill it up. I suppose non-Jews feel it, too?

On a physical level, well, Saturday night is the only night of the week that people aren't tired from a long day of work and also don't need to wake up early for work the next morning.

trixx

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:03 pm
I think restlessness is a real thing
Bc the extra neshama departs so you feel a little lost

subby

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:05 pm
I usually dont go out just because I dont have where to go. But I would love to go out! I have 2 kids but that never stops me from going out! I just bundle them up and put them into the carriage!

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:06 pm
The day is long with the kids cooped up inside. We all need an outing. We usually go to my parents or in laws.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:08 pm
That's funny I have never felt the need to go out ..Sat night is my favorite night to stay IN make some pizza and watch a movie. I hate leaving my house sat nights.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:38 pm
Walk around a mall

asmileaday

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:45 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
On a more spiritual level, I once learned that this urge to go out comes from the neshama yeseira which left when Shabbos ended. People feel the void and need to fill it up. I suppose non-Jews feel it, too?

On a physical level, well, Saturday night is the only night of the week that people aren't tired from a long day of work and also don't need to wake up early for work the next morning.

This.

But if I'd have a newborn I'd probably be too tired to go out!

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:46 pm
What's the big deal with going out with a newborn??

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:49 pm
It's not that Motzei Shabbos makes you have to go out, it's just that if you want to go out, a long winter Motzei Shabbos is a good time for it.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:15 pm
What’s not to understand? Most people are off from work on Sunday so Saturday night is the ideal time to go out. I never understood the “Thursday night is date night” thing. Maybe for yeshivish people because guys don’t have shiur on Friday, and the girls are apparently not helping at home, but for the rest of the frum world? Not only do most of us still have school or work on Friday, but Thursday night is erev erev Shabbos. I had chores to do for Shabbos from the time I was 13. Thursday was the WORST night of the week to go out.

Neshama yeteira? Seriously? Then explain why Saturday night is a big dating night for the secular and Christian world. “Another Saturday night, and I ain’t got nobody...”

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is it about Saturday nights that people feel the need to go out and depressed if they don’t go out?
Do you go out on Saturday nights? If yes then how would you do it if you have a newborn?

You never heard of grandparents? And if the grandparents don’t live nearby, you never heard of teenage babysitters? How do you think HS girls earn pocket money? Or you could bring your newborn along, depending on where you go. Certainly you can bring the baby if you go out for pizza or ice cream.

Why is Saturday night any worse than going out any other night?

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:20 pm
zaq wrote:
What’s not to understand? Most people are off from work on Sunday so Saturday night is the ideal time to go out. I never understood the “Thursday night is date night” thing. Maybe for yeshivish people because guys don’t have shiur on Friday, and the girls are apparently not helping at home, but for the rest of the frum world? Not only do most of us still have school or work on Friday, but Thursday night is erev erev Shabbos. I had chores to do for Shabbos from the time I was 13. Thursday was the WORST night of the week to go out.

Neshama yeteira? Seriously? Then explain why Saturday night is a big dating night for the secular and Christian world. “Another Saturday night, and I ain’t got nobody...”

S A TUR DAY -hey.

Agree completely.

And if you don’t want to go out, don’t. Why should it bother anyone if someone else does.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

That’s so interesting. I always feel so sad Mitzi shabbos, and I need to be busy to take my mind off of it.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:04 pm
OP, why does this disturb you? If you are content staying home, so be it. Stay home. Why should anyone else’s desire to go out bother you?

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:48 am
I don’t think you NEED to go out nor should anyone get depressed if they don’t.
Sometimes we do sometimes we don’t it’s just a convenient time to go out.
It’s the only night my husband doesn’t work all week, it’s a long evening, my kids start a little later on Sunday and I don’t have school on Sunday so it’s just perfect all around.

We usually go to grandparents if we go out or pizza. Or we play a game at home and go to bed early.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:59 am
Why in the world does this bother you? People go out every night of the week, and during the day too!
People like going out, that's why.

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:15 am
I sleep shabbos and never have time during the week to go out. it's good in theory, wish I can implement in real life.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:41 am
Winter motzei Shabbos makes for perfect family time, if you have the energy. Boys go to learn with their fathers, and the mom and girls can make a melava malka, go get pizza or ice cream (if they're not fleishig still).

I don't know where I would go with a baby. I'd probably be completely exhausted and enjoy the quiet time at home.

As for me, you know the old saying, "My back goes out more often than I do!" LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics