Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Is a doona worth it
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:33 am
Need a carseat and infant stroller. I like the idea of being able to put the car seat directly into a base. Is a doona worth it? Is a different brand better?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:41 am
These days, you can get a lot of strollers that do that.
I thought the point of the doona is that you don't take the car seat out and pop it into the base (or put it in to the stroller base) but that it becomes the carseat.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:43 am
Its a mediocre car seat and a mediocre stroller all in 1 for $500. It's also really low down. But it's super convenient if you're constantly in and out of the car.

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:43 am
If you are in and out of the car multiple times a day then yes (or Uber everywhere multiple times)
It's a BAD STROLLER. please don't buy it if you live in Brooklyn and are planning on using it to walk around with.
I once saw someone with literally 10 grocery bags or more hanging off the handle from a mommy hook. It was in danger of tipping and the weight compromises the safety of the car seat smh

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:51 am
So what should I get? I will be taking baby in and out of the car at least 2-3x a day

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:58 am
We got an infant bucket seat and a snap n go frame and it was perfect.

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:01 am
The answer to your question is YES!! I have it and I don't regret spending the money for a second. I had a car seat + base and this is so much more convenient. If you'll be taking the baby even once a day in the car it's worth it.

hodeez

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:01 am
Graco travel system. I'm on my fifth kid and it's still going strong!

clowny

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what should I get? I will be taking baby in and out of the car at least 2-3x a day

Absolutely worth it. It’s a very convenient stroller/car seat. You don’t attach it to anything. This alone becomes the car seat. The only downside is that it can’t handle too many shopping bags. But you can now buy a basket that attaches to the back fo more storage.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:04 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
We got an infant bucket seat and a snap n go frame and it was perfect.

This. People sell their old snap and go for nothing now. The carseat also clicks right into a ton of other strollers that will take you all the way to age 3+.

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:07 am
clowny wrote:
Absolutely worth it. It’s a very convenient stroller/car seat. You don’t attach it to anything. This alone becomes the car seat. The only downside is that it can’t handle too many shopping bags. But you can now buy a basket that attaches to the back fo more storage.

I bought the storage bag. It's not instead of a regular carriage, and I would only do light shopping with it but when I need the doona I'm anyways not going heavy shopping.

amother
White

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:17 am
Just keep in mind it is VERY heavy. If you live up a bunch of stairs it will be hard to get it up and down. If you need to do a big shopping and need to put it into a shopping cart it is heavy.
Also if you live in a snowy climate you are constantly putting the snow onto the seat of yours car.

Those are the 2 reasons I didn’t get it. I got the nuna pipa lite lx.

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:20 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Just keep in mind it is VERY heavy. If you live up a bunch of stairs it will be hard to get it up and down. If you need to do a big shopping and need to put it into a shopping cart it is heavy.
Also if you live in a snowy climate you are constantly putting the snow onto the seat of yours car.

Those are the 2 reasons I didn’t get it. I got the nuna pipa lite lx.

You can shlep it up stairs in the carriage mode then it's extremely lightweight. I've been doing that. The "carriage" is very lightweight.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:20 am
My DD has a hard time getting the legs to fold under and the seatbelt to stay in place when used without the base.

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:27 am
southernbubby wrote:
My DD has a hard time getting the legs to fold under and the seatbelt to stay in place when used without the base.

Why? She must be doing something wrong or doesn't know how to fold it. It took me a few tries till I figured it out but now I fold in a sec.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:30 am
I love my snap and go, it’s super convenient and has great storage for shopping.

Zehava

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:37 am
Absolutely worth it.
I’ve used and abused it all over the place. In my own car, in Ubers, on planes, and around the house when ds was sick and cranky. Worth every penny. If you’ll be doing this 3 times a day then definitely worth every penny. I had the graco click connect before that and besides the extra equipment it was also difficult to push and manuvuer. the doona pushes like a dream. A real boon especially in airports and groceries when pushing multiple things at the same time. The handle even goes lower so a child can push it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:00 am
If you live an urban lifestyle and take many taxis then it might be worth it. If you are suburban and drive your own car I don’t see the advantage.

Zehava

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
If you live an urban lifestyle and take many taxis then it might be worth it. If you are suburban and drive your own car I don’t see the advantage.

The advantages are even more with your own car. It clicks into a base, no extra trunk space for equipment, and still the advantage of an instant stroller when exiting the car.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:06 am
I would get a car seat and stroller that go together easily. There are so many you can even get a nicer carriage they will take you for way longer.
So for $200 you can get a carriage that will fold really small. Be very light. And car seat snaps right in. And when you don’t need seat (really whenever baby is wake) or baby outgrows car seat you still have a great stroller.
(Something like mountain buggy nano - lots of choices - Graco has cheap choices that don’t look as nerdy as they used to. Like a Graco verb click you can get for under $200 - the full pkg - and you always have a car carriage. Britax. Maxi cosi also has options)

Only thing is it has become a thing to have a doona. Almost embarrassing not to have one. Social and peer pressure is hard. DH jokes to me the other day he felt out of place at peditrician without one. And he was there only with our 11 yr old. Smile

I always feel so bad when I see awake babies strapped in the doona. On long days in and out of the car how many times do they get out of the doona.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics