Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lace front and lace top
1  2  Next

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:41 pm
What exactly are lace top and lace front wigs? Are they harder to take care? Is it worth buying one?

mommish613

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:58 pm
Lace top is where the entire top part of the cap is made out of lace. It is very delicate and you have to handle it correctly and give it to someone who knows what they’re doing to wash. If the lace rips, your wig is ruined.

Lace front is when a piece of lace is added to the front right. Some of them start very deep like in the middle of the scalp. You also have to be careful with those but not as much as the lace cap. You can also have any regular wig repaired to have a lace front added.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 3:12 pm
What benefits does the lace cap add to the wig? Is it more natural than just a lace front. I know that lace fronts make the wig look more natural but can you explain the science behind it. How does it work?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 3:36 pm
Yes it definitely looks natural but it needs alot of work. And its so delicate that it doesnt last to long. I have a lace front and I do enjoy it when its good but it takes to much work to upkeep. After the 1st wear its not the same. I wouldn't bother with it and im ready to remove mine.
I actually saw someone wearing a lace top. U can totally see the lace Up close only looks good from far.
Personally wouldn't bother with them

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:14 pm
WAY more comfortable
WAY more flexible
WAY lighter
WAY more natural hairline and part
Easy to style in pony's, updos, half up, headbands, styles etc.

My prediction is that in 5 years no one will wear the old type anymore. The lace tops make the others obsolete.

Sunshineforever

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:28 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:

My prediction is that in 5 years no one will wear the old type anymore. The lace tops my they old ones obsolete.

What brand do you have? And can one see the lace sitting on your head at the front?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:40 pm
Sunshineforever wrote:
What brand do you have? And can one see the lace sitting on your head at the front?

I have a sary. The Dinis are amazing but much more expensive. You can see the lace if you are 12 inches away and staring right at it, but it's not something you notice if you are at an appropriate talking difference from someone.
Check out instagram to see pics from these brands.
I've heard that the lace is less noticable on lighter skin (which I have), but I've seen darker ppl with it that looks fantastic so not sure where thay came from.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:15 am
I have a sary. The Dinis are amazing but much more expensive. You can see the lace if you are 12 inches away and staring right at it, but it's not something you notice if you are at an appropriate talking difference from someone.
Check out instagram to see pics from these brands.
I've heard that the lace is less noticable on lighter skin (which I have), but I've seen darker ppl with it that looks fantastic so not sure where thay came from.

Do you apply makeup to the part to blend it in?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:34 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Do you apply makeup to the part to blend it in?

No way. Looks best when its clean and clear, like your skin color shows through. If it gets too much makeup on it (especially bronzer) it looks less natural and you can wash it yourself in the sink. Dini did a tutorial on this on IG.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:56 am
They also give you a band with lace in the area where the part goes so you dont see black under the lace.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:05 am
WAY more comfortable
WAY more flexible
WAY lighter
WAY more natural hairline and part
Easy to style in pony's, updos, half up, headbands, styles etc.

My prediction is that in 5 years no one will wear the old type anymore. The lace tops make the others obsolete.

I sincerely hope not!
As there are halacha problems....

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I sincerely hope not!
As there are halacha problems....

There are two types: lined and unlined. Mine is lined. There are many opinions on this, and it is not straight halacha. The shulchan oreh does not talk about lace top wigs.

LittleMissMama

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:28 pm
I hope to get a lace top one day, not so much for appearance but for comfort. It's been 20 years of covering my hair and the front of my sheitel is always in my face, if not tucked behind my ears (which looks wiggy). I think that as lace fronts become more popular, there will be more tricks involving their construction and caring for them, so hopefully in the future, they won't be so delicate.

Regarding halacha, many young women would either not cover their hair or not cover fully (wearing a topper or pulling a lot out with a band fall), if not for these new wigs. So leave the judgement and be happy that it allows women to fulfill the mitzvah more happily.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:38 pm
I agree that lace tops are the wave of the future- I think it’s a very new concept and the product will be improved a lot over the years as we’ll see how well they hold up. BUT as a wig-wearing women for nearly 20 years, I felt very uncomfortable when I tried one on. Like if I would go to speak to my Rebbetzin in it she would look at me funny.

I was looking at a picture that someone posted and was oogling over how amazing the woman’s lace top was until I realized that it wasn’t a wig- she was not Jewish! But on Instagram we all look the same. Is that what we’re trying to achieve?

Just my feelings, not discussing Halacha here.

elishevat

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:19 am
Could someone kindly tell me what the halachic problems might be with a lace-top wig? I'm having a discussion with my friend about wigs, and we don't know exactly what the problem is.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:27 am
elishevat wrote:
Could someone kindly tell me what the halachic problems might be with a lace-top wig? I'm having a discussion with my friend about wigs, and we don't know exactly what the problem is.

Can't tell that someone is wearing a wig!

evaeva

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:32 am
whats the point of wearing a wig if people cant tell its a wig?

elishevat

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:33 am
Aha. Well, that settles it, then! Thanks for clarifying.

ces

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:50 am
evaeva wrote:
whats the point of wearing a wig if people cant tell its a wig?

The point is that your hair is covered.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:52 am
The seminaries and speakers keep saying how it’s assur! You really can’t tell it’s a wig.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels